first downhill bike

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
first downhill bike
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 12:04 Quote
i am looking for a dh bike its has to be in the £1000-1350 range

Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 12:08 Quote
Spesh Big Hit, Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho, Giant Glory Zero(I saw one for £1300 and guess what Im getting it Smile ) Giant glory 1 are the ones i can think of but there are a few more.

Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 12:18 Quote
if it is your first downhill bike get it second hand. On ebay u can get demo 8s for around £1000. I got my trek session for £900!

Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 12:31 Quote
agentbikes91 wrote:
if it is your first downhill bike get it second hand. On ebay u can get demo 8s for around £1000. I got my trek session for £900!

I disagree i would just look around for last years stuff. You may have to phone shops up because they sometimes dont advertise them. Like i say im getting a Giant Glory zero for £1300 and it is worth £2500. All the 07 stuff has gone down in price now that the 08 stuff has came in.

Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 13:18 Quote
yeah that is a good idea but a lot of the time when you buy a second hand bike it has had upgrdes done to it so it would be better than when it first came out.
HaggisOnABike wrote:
agentbikes91 wrote:
if it is your first downhill bike get it second hand. On ebay u can get demo 8s for around £1000. I got my trek session for £900!

I disagree i would just look around for last years stuff. You may have to phone shops up because they sometimes dont advertise them. Like i say im getting a Giant Glory zero for £1300 and it is worth £2500. All the 07 stuff has gone down in price now that the 08 stuff has came in.
yeah that is a good idea but a lot of the time when you buy a second hand bike it has had upgrdes done to it so it would be better than when it first came out.

Posted: Dec 2, 2007 at 5:14 Quote
agentbikes91 wrote:
yeah that is a good idea but a lot of the time when you buy a second hand bike it has had upgrdes done to it so it would be better than when it first came out.
HaggisOnABike wrote:
agentbikes91 wrote:
if it is your first downhill bike get it second hand. On ebay u can get demo 8s for around £1000. I got my trek session for £900!

I disagree i would just look around for last years stuff. You may have to phone shops up because they sometimes dont advertise them. Like i say im getting a Giant Glory zero for £1300 and it is worth £2500. All the 07 stuff has gone down in price now that the 08 stuff has came in.
yeah that is a good idea but a lot of the time when you buy a second hand bike it has had upgrdes done to it so it would be better than when it first came out.

Yeah but in the end you never know what its been through. It could end up costing a fortune to get new part because they are all worn/ broken. It could have knackered pivots, bearings, seals etc. It may look good but you never know.

Posted: Dec 2, 2007 at 6:29 Quote
HaggisOnABike wrote:
agentbikes91 wrote:
yeah that is a good idea but a lot of the time when you buy a second hand bike it has had upgrdes done to it so it would be better than when it first came out.
HaggisOnABike wrote:


I disagree i would just look around for last years stuff. You may have to phone shops up because they sometimes dont advertise them. Like i say im getting a Giant Glory zero for £1300 and it is worth £2500. All the 07 stuff has gone down in price now that the 08 stuff has came in.
yeah that is a good idea but a lot of the time when you buy a second hand bike it has had upgrdes done to it so it would be better than when it first came out.

Yeah but in the end you never know what its been through. It could end up costing a fortune to get new part because they are all worn/ broken. It could have knackered pivots, bearings, seals etc. It may look good but you never know.
yeah take someone who knows about bikes up 2 look at it with you so you know nothings wrong with it

Posted: Dec 2, 2007 at 6:38 Quote
2002 or up spesialized bighit, my first fr/dh bike was a raleigh ram xt 2500 w/ shivers

Posted: Dec 2, 2007 at 7:14 Quote
agentbikes91 wrote:
HaggisOnABike wrote:
agentbikes91 wrote:
yeah that is a good idea but a lot of the time when you buy a second hand bike it has had upgrdes done to it so it would be better than when it first came out.
yeah that is a good idea but a lot of the time when you buy a second hand bike it has had upgrdes done to it so it would be better than when it first came out.

Yeah but in the end you never know what its been through. It could end up costing a fortune to get new part because they are all worn/ broken. It could have knackered pivots, bearings, seals etc. It may look good but you never know.
yeah take someone who knows about bikes up 2 look at it with you so you know nothings wrong with it

Yeah but it may be things that you cant know about without ripping it apart that even mechanics cant tell just by looking at it.

Posted: Dec 2, 2007 at 10:50 Quote
HaggisOnABike wrote:
agentbikes91 wrote:
HaggisOnABike wrote:


Yeah but in the end you never know what its been through. It could end up costing a fortune to get new part because they are all worn/ broken. It could have knackered pivots, bearings, seals etc. It may look good but you never know.
yeah take someone who knows about bikes up 2 look at it with you so you know nothings wrong with it

Yeah but it may be things that you cant know about without ripping it apart that even mechanics cant tell just by looking at it.
like what??

Posted: Dec 2, 2007 at 11:28 Quote
agentbikes91 wrote:
like what??

Stuff like how the bike feels - you can't just know a bike by its specs and components, its more than just what's on paper.

Posted: Dec 2, 2007 at 11:32 Quote
HaggisOnABike wrote:
Spesh Big Hit, Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho, Giant Glory Zero(I saw one for £1300 and guess what Im getting it Smile ) Giant glory 1 are the ones i can think of but there are a few more.
what is a glory zero? i thought there was only glory dh and glory fr?

Posted: Dec 2, 2007 at 11:33 Quote
runner wrote:
agentbikes91 wrote:
like what??

Stuff like how the bike feels - you can't just know a bike by its specs and components, its more than just what's on paper.

yeah but its the same as buying a new bike - you wouldn't buy it without testing it

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 8:43 Quote
[Quote="agentbikes91"][Quote="runner"]
agentbikes91 wrote:
like what??


like if the bearings are nearly gone, if the headtube has took a battering, cranks BB axle battered, fork internals knackered etc. I would only buy a secong hand bike if i know who rode it and how they ride.

Posted: Dec 3, 2007 at 8:47 Quote
[Quote="HaggisOnABike"][Quote="agentbikes91"]
runner wrote:



like if the bearings are nearly gone, if the headtube has took a battering, cranks BB axle battered, fork internals knackered etc. I would only buy a secong hand bike if i know who rode it and how they ride.

if the bearings were that bad someone who knew about bikes would know, if forks internals are bad you can feel it them, if the bearings are bad in the bottom bracket you can feel it in the cranks

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009498
Mobile Version of Website