Intense 951 vs M9 vs New Glory

PB Forum :: Downhill
Intense 951 vs M9 vs New Glory
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 17, 2010 at 17:51 Quote
Hey so next season I'm getting a new DH bike. I work for a shop, and have narrowed it down to either the 951, the M9, or the new Giant Glory.

I don't live near a true DH park, but I visit them as much as I can in the summer, and try to make it down to Diablo a few times. I like a bike that can rail conners, and stick to its line, but also that can be fun and popy in corners and off jumps ect...

I was pretty sure on the 951 before it lost the adjustability, but i've heard the M9 can be setup to ride like the 951, is this true? I think i'm looking for a bike spot inbetween the 951 and the M9...

Any advice much appreciated... especially from people who have rode the M9!

Thanks, Jake

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 at 20:59 Quote
go with the 951!! i have had mine for about two months and its sick! and it does everything that you want!

Posted: Oct 19, 2010 at 21:08 Quote
glory=value
951&M9=FRO

Posted: Oct 20, 2010 at 13:14 Quote
but has any one fooled around with the M9? and now that the 951 isn't FRO idk if I really want it.

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 at 13:53 Quote
first off, FRO really doesn't mean crap. secondly the M9's didn't start shipping until last week so you'll have to read the PB review or the Sicklines review. The new 951 is sick and yes it has lost the G3, but I never liked the short or long setting on mine, so i always stuck with the middle setting which is what the new rear triangle is set at. Yes the frame is super "poppy" in the 8" travel setting and feels real smooth in the 8.5" travel setting. It is very stable compared to my old '09 glory. I have an M9 on order and once I get a ride on it I'll let you know, but right now it is looking like the frame with the most adjustablity on the market (which could be good and bad).

Posted: Oct 21, 2010 at 14:02 Quote
Ive spent some time on a 951 and they are everything you would want in a bike; fast, flickable, good geometry and the thing handles like crazy. When i was riding it, it was in the medium wheelbase setting. Now the M9 is a very exclusive bike, mostly for straight up DH racing. I would rule out the glory, because if you can afford an Intense, don't even bother. For the FRO deal with the Intense, different geometry and NO warranty.

Posted: Oct 24, 2010 at 18:10 Quote
Wait so your telling me if I drop a shit ton of money on a brand new Intense M9, I get no warranty, but if I buy a cheaper but still really expensive 951 I do get a warranty????

Posted: Oct 24, 2010 at 18:47 Quote
It all depends if its an Intense FRO (For Racing Only) bike. They don't warranty those frames. You can get none FRO Intense bikes that come with a warranty. I don't know about a M9, It may be FRO onlyConfused The 951 I know for sure though

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2010 at 19:44 Quote
God, lot of wrong info above. All new Intense bikes that you buy from a dealer have 2 year warranty, whether labeled FRO or not. Warranties apply to 951, M6, M9, Slopestyle, etc. FRO is just a marketing label. Nothing else.

Warranties are for factory defects. If you go and huck a 50 ft drop or 60 ft canyon gap jump like Red Bull Rampage, and your bike breaks in the process, yeah, warranty won't apply. Smile

Posted: Oct 24, 2010 at 23:09 Quote
Really? I was under the impression that the warranty was totally different for the Intense FRO. Factory defects are an exception, I know the warranty that, im talking about if you crack your frame or something while riding. Dont they use different coating on the FRO only frames to make them lighter?

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2010 at 23:23 Quote
the new 951's are changing to different tubing and losing the G3 geometry.. basically becoming the daily workhorse downhill bike at a cheaper price. M9 or glory.. or source out this years 951

Posted: Oct 25, 2010 at 16:42 Quote
Holy crap you guys are WAAAAAY off base. FRO is just marketing "For Race Only" and if you read the Warranty page on Intense website it says everything that every other mfg says.

LIMITED WARRANTY
All INTENSE® bicycles are sold exclusively through our network of authorized dealers who we entrust with professional assembly and service of your bicycle. INTENSE Bicycle Corporation provides each original retail purchaser of a INTENSE bicycle a warranty against defects in materials and workmanship, as stated below:

All Intense Frames are under warranty for two years from the date of purchase to the original owner only.
For warranty issues on Fox Shox call (800)Fox-Shox. Please note that Intense does not warranty or repair shocks.
Your completed frame warranty card must be returned to Intense within 30 days of purchase to secure warranty coverage.
The warranty will not cover normal wear and tear, normal maintenance items, damage, failure, accidents, crashing, abuse, mis-use, neglect, or any damage caused by bicycle components.
Intense frames are not intended for use in stunt riding, ramp riding, hucking or any similar activity.
The Spider-2, Tracer, Tracer29, TazerVP and Tazer frames are NOT downhill frames and will NOT be covered under warranty if they have been used for downhill racing or if a suspension fork with more than the recommended travel length is installed.
Intense Cycles will not assume any shipping charges for warranties or repairs and will not accept any frame(s) returned freight collect or without a return authorization number (RA#).
Any repairs or modifications performed by anyone other than an authorized Intense Cycles agent will void the warranty.
No upgrades or trade-ins unless approved by customer service
Although Intense Cycles assumes no responsibility for owner-induced damage, we will repair damaged frames to the owner for a minimal charge
Intense Cycles assumes no responsibility for bodily injury or frame damage due to frame vfailure caused by abuse, neglect, misuse, or improper maintenance or set up.
Frames purchased from U.S. dealers in countries with authorized Intense international distribution will void the 2 year factory warranty. NOTE: To handle a warranty or service claim, contact your local bike shop, dealer/distributor. If none of these options work, contact Intense Cycles at cs{AT}intensecycles{DOT}com to get a return authorization number (RA#). Intense Cycles WILL NOT ACCEPT any warranty or repair returns without an RA #.

Posted: Oct 25, 2010 at 16:44 Quote
No the 951's aren't being out sorced and if your going to spend the money... why would you buy a Glory with "soda can" thin tubing...? The 951 is adjustable and is the "weekend warriors" race/shuttle bike, but that doesn't mean you cant do the same with an M9. The M9 is the flagship bike now and has as much adjustablity as a swiss army kniff has tools.

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 at 7:52 Quote
misterpeanut wrote:
No the 951's aren't being out sorced and if your going to spend the money... why would you buy a Glory with "soda can" thin tubing...? The 951 is adjustable and is the "weekend warriors" race/shuttle bike, but that doesn't mean you cant do the same with an M9. The M9 is the flagship bike now and has as much adjustablity as a swiss army kniff has tools.

I called intense and asked, the 951 no longer has G3 dropouts... so it is NOT adjustable, and are the new glory's really thin tubing??? My 2008 is like the burliest tank of a frame. Have people had problems with denting and cracking ect...

Also, i've heard rummers that intense frames are also thin aluminum, and don't last as long as some other bikes... Is true, for the M9 in particular?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014381
Mobile Version of Website