JP/COX Trail Building Society

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
JP/COX Trail Building Society
| Next Page
Posted: Nov 2, 2010 at 21:49 Quote
The Greater Bragg Creek Trail Association is cutting a new trail right now from West Bragg to Ranger Ridge and then down to Tom Snow/Ridgeback. On this page is a link to the plan they used to get approval from the government:

West Bragg Trail Plan

So, this can be used as a good indication of the plan that needs to be written if the JP/Cox trail is going to get the blessing of SRD/TPR.

Posted: Nov 3, 2010 at 5:48 Quote
My .02, for what it's worth (not much)Big Grin .
A trail as described initially would be a waste of time and effort.
I hate to be so negative, but...
Consider that as the road is 17 km, a trail would have be 20 km or more after it works around all the undulations in the landscape, and would have a considerable amount of ups and downs as well, through some pretty rugged terrain. We are talking about a serious undertaking here.
As pinkrobe stated, for most riders the JP/Cox ridge ride is the attraction, is enough of a ride on it's own, and they would have little desire to tackle an extra 20 km of demanding forest riding. I would guess that maybe half of JP/Cox riders shuttle the road already, despite the fact that it only takes a bit more than an hour to ride, and is easy and scenic. For sure, having done the road many times (6 times on various bits including the full 17 km twice this summer, multiplied by 23 years of MTB, you do the math), it can wear on you, but is a bypass worth all the effort and money, for the handful of riders that would use it? Only if it is a great ride on it's own, and my take on the terrain surrounding the road says it wouldn't be.
I think that our efforts would be better spent elsewhere, such as on Moose where there are plenty of existing and potential routes that could use some work.
What I can see being worthwhile at JP/Cox though would be to improve on the "east ridge" trail connecting north moose mountain area to the JP summit, and a new trail from Dawson up to meet the east ridge trail, to take the place of that endless gas well road. A few ride this loop once in a while, but with proper trails it would be an instant classic when combined with the JP ridge and Cox. A look at google earth though, seems to indicate that this would be a longterm project for sure.

CheersBeer

Posted: Nov 3, 2010 at 7:35 Quote
Thanks for posting that link to the West Bragg plan, crosscheck. It took about a year from when the GBCTA approached SRD until it was finally approved. It's a different situation when compared to this new JP/Cox concept. The West Bragg plan has redevelopment of exisiting trails as well as new trails, totalling 40+ km of work.

Steve raises some good points. Any trail that is proposed should be able to stand on its own merits. Ideally, people should have a hard time choosing between it and the existing route...

Posted: Nov 3, 2010 at 9:17 Quote
it's all part of opening up options.

the road ride-around isn't top on my list but i love that we're talking about the potential options

Posted: Nov 3, 2010 at 12:18 Quote
One thing worth considering is that some pretty impressive trail projects have appeared in the last while, under the radar.

TOC and the connector to Canmore from Skogan, whatever it's called, are pretty long trails. It would interesting to know - and someone on PB no doubt does - how long those were in the making and how long they actually took to build. Mind you, I doubt very much those trails would get IMBA stamp of approval. But they sure are fun.

Not that I'm advocating an unsanctioned trail, just more pondering what it takes to make a trail happen.

Posted: Nov 3, 2010 at 13:23 Quote
The IMBA stamp of approval could be applied to a lot of unofficial trails in this part of the world. For example, Rayzer's Edge fits in really well with IMBA guidelines. Eek YA RLY. The grade reversals are there, anything fall line-ish has awesome drainage [or is solid rock] and there are no mandatory stunts. The first 1000m or so could stand to have the duff removed, but that's about it.

Regardless, building a good trail takes a shit-tonne of planning. Has anybody tried to walk this alt-JP/Cox route and GPS it yet?

Posted: Nov 3, 2010 at 20:18 Quote
pinkrobe wrote:
The IMBA stamp of approval could be applied to a lot of unofficial trails in this part of the world. For example, Rayzer's Edge fits in really well with IMBA guidelines. Eek YA RLY. The grade reversals are there, anything fall line-ish has awesome drainage [or is solid rock] and there are no mandatory stunts. The first 1000m or so could stand to have the duff removed, but that's about it.

Regardless, building a good trail takes a shit-tonne of planning. Has anybody tried to walk this alt-JP/Cox route and GPS it yet?

which alt-route? i've done the east ridge and could be a bloody fantastic ride with (relatively) moderate work, some fun descents and rocky sections.

every time i think of an option for the road, i think of ford creek and shiver in fear a bit...i'm sure i'm not the only one that has noticed at least partial singletracks through the woods near the road, i'll bet more than one equestrian has been doing unofficial trail work for years in there...

FWIW/IMO both RE and TOC are pretty sustainable layouts, with minor re-work and some maintenance. prospector is easily one of the most solidly constructed trails in the general area...

Posted: Nov 3, 2010 at 20:31 Quote
The guys at the Bike Cafe could give you an idea on TOC. Brian and others were at it for quite a while.

fargle wrote:
One thing worth considering is that some pretty impressive trail projects have appeared in the last while, under the radar.

TOC and the connector to Canmore from Skogan, whatever it's called, are pretty long trails. It would interesting to know - and someone on PB no doubt does - how long those were in the making and how long they actually took to build. Mind you, I doubt very much those trails would get IMBA stamp of approval. But they sure are fun.

Not that I'm advocating an unsanctioned trail, just more pondering what it takes to make a trail happen.

Posted: Nov 4, 2010 at 12:38 Quote
I'd like to chime in my 2 cents. I think a trail from Dawson to McDougall is a great idea. The road may be a nice warmup but to ride from Dawson to McDougall without the road would be better. Maybe get signs made up - "if you enjoy this trail, come join us on .... " help grow the community.
It can broken down into easy segments to make the overall project easier and provide smaller loops for those wanting shorter rides. Once one segment is finished (are they ever finished) it can be opened and be used while the other one starts.

Mc Dougall to Jumpingpound Summit trail
Jumpingpound Summit Trail to Jumpingpound Ridge Trail
Jumpingpound Ridge Trail to Dawson

Posted: Nov 4, 2010 at 13:50 Quote
pinkrobe wrote:
Here's some stuff you'll want to do:
- Pick a leader. This is the go-to person for the project.

All righty then, who's the leader? Ibis, is that you?

Posted: Nov 9, 2010 at 10:14 Quote
crosscheck wrote:
pinkrobe wrote:
Here's some stuff you'll want to do:
- Pick a leader. This is the go-to person for the project.

All righty then, who's the leader? Ibis, is that you?

Im open to suggestion

Steve came up with a more appealing idea that im sitting here going, damn, why didnt I think of that!

But Im thinking here if I had myself a 250cc "ibis" it would only take me a few days give or take, to cut 20 kms of rough trail. Im thinking a few weeks to tape a good route initially hiking would be the tough part. I would also wonder if it should be "Hiline" type or a "Pneuma" type of trail tho.
The latter being a less appealling ride for the majority of riders but less heavy digging involved.
But you didnt hear me say that cuz I cant encourage someone to dirt bike illegally Smile .

Posted: Nov 13, 2010 at 12:37 Quote
ibisrox wrote:
But Im thinking here if I had myself a 250cc "ibis" it would only take me a few days give or take, to cut 20 kms of rough trail. Im thinking a few weeks to tape a good route initially hiking would be the tough part.

I think you're right about marking the route will be tough. That's a lot of bushwacking. I would love to see a gps track of the route Smile

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008582
Mobile Version of Website