Ti springs

O+
Posted: Dec 28, 2011 at 20:24 Quote
The only real advantage is weight. If you did a blind test between Ti and Steel you would not notice the difference in sensitivity.

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 4:20 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
The only real advantage is weight. If you did a blind test between Ti and Steel you would not notice the difference in sensitivity.

lol

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 5:57 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:

Have you ever ridden a Ti spring for a decent amount of time? It makes a noticeable difference. I had a reign X for a while that had a Ti spring on it. With the suspension set up the same, I put a regular steel spring of the same weight rating on it. It did not ride as well. I wish I had one for my dh bike.

O+
Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 11:23 Quote
the-real-me wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

Have you ever ridden a Ti spring for a decent amount of time? It makes a noticeable difference. I had a reign X for a while that had a Ti spring on it. With the suspension set up the same, I put a regular steel spring of the same weight rating on it. It did not ride as well. I wish I had one for my dh bike.

Yes I have and so have several of my riding buddies and they all say the same thing.

O+
Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 11:25 Quote
Rigaud wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

lol

it looks about the right size down the middle I thought thats what he meant Pimp The Ti is soo much smoother but with lube its hard to tell

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 12:25 Quote
It's pretty basic actually... whether or not the difference is really all that noticeable is debateable but there is a difference, that can't be argued. Lowering the mass lowers the inertia in either direction which means the suspension can change directions more quickly. If your suspension is setup for shit, you'll never notice whatever difference there is to be felt and the reality is that probably 6 or 7 out of every 10 riders probably wouldn't even notice if you added five clicks of damping to their shock while they weren't looking... The fact is, all other variables being equal, a ti coil will allow the suspension to track the ground better than a steel coil. It doesn't matter if you can "feel" it or if you "believe" it... it's just what the laws of natural world dictate.

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 12:34 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
It's pretty basic actually... whether or not the difference is really all that noticeable is debateable but there is a difference, that can't be argued. Lowering the mass lowers the inertia in either direction which means the suspension can change directions more quickly. If your suspension is setup for shit, you'll never notice whatever difference there is to be felt and the reality is that probably 6 or 7 out of every 10 riders probably wouldn't even notice if you added five clicks of damping to their shock while they weren't looking... The fact is, all other variables being equal, a ti coil will allow the suspension to track the ground better than a steel coil. It doesn't matter if you can "feel" it or if you "believe" it... it's just what the laws of natural world dictate.

If you have a decent shock set up at all you can feel the difference. Its not alot admittedly. But its better then you can get with steel. From someone who is constantly playing with the suspension on both ends. Thats a big deal.

Now, the debate is, Is it worth all the friggin money that manufacturer want for them?! I think they should just give me stuff. Wink

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 12:45 Quote
Yeah, I agree... it was noticeable on both my bikes for me personally. Crazy pricey, especially now. I lucked out and got both of mine for under $200.

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 12:50 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Yeah, I agree... it was noticeable on both my bikes for me personally. Crazy pricey, especially now. I lucked out and got both of mine for under $200.

The only one I had came on a frame I bought. It really helped out on the sensitivity of a shorter old DHX 3.0. I really want to try it on a longer well maintained 4.0 and see if I can still fill it. I dont think its worth $200 though.

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 12:51 Quote
Agree... there's a ton of shit you can spend $200 on that will yield a way more noticeable gain than a Ti spring. It's a nice finishing touch though. Pimp

O+
Posted: Dec 30, 2011 at 15:46 Quote
The other thing that may make a difference in spring feel is how accurately the spring rate is marked. I have done some interweb reading and there can be as much as +/- 15% of the rated value. But the Ti springs tend to be dead on.

Posted: Dec 30, 2011 at 16:57 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
The other thing that may make a difference in spring feel is how accurately the spring rate is marked. I have done some interweb reading and there can be as much as +/- 15% of the rated value. But the Ti springs tend to be dead on.
Very true... I think Ti is +/- 1% variance only.

Posted: Jan 2, 2012 at 11:15 Quote
Now you guys have me wondering, I am wanting to get a Ti spring to save the 1/2 lb and increase sensitivity in the begining stroke of travel. It seems pretty common on my bike. the 2011 Demo 8. where can you get better bang for the buck on a bike like mine? its the demo 8 2. stock but with MG 1 pedals and Chromag riser bar.

Posted: Feb 7, 2012 at 17:05 Quote
Does a dcs fox ti spring will fit on a marzocchi?Thanks!

Posted: Feb 7, 2012 at 20:54 Quote
alxxx wrote:
Does a dcs fox ti spring will fit on a marzocchi?Thanks!
Yes, they're interchangable... ditto for Manitou... Vivids require a larger inside diameter spring.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013657
Mobile Version of Website