Anyone own a rockshox domain dual crown?

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Anyone own a rockshox domain dual crown?
Previous Page |
Posted: Oct 29, 2010 at 12:29 Quote
I am thinking about getting a rockshox domain dual crown for the higher amount of travel, because my 55 has only six inches. If anyone owns or has used one please let me know how you like it.
Thanks,
Jess

Posted: Oct 31, 2010 at 17:00 Quote
I was also looking at this fork as it seemed like a great entry level dual crown to get in DH'ing and very durable. Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone who had used one, or even a shop that had sold one.

I ended up going with a 2010 Boxxer Race, you can find some pretty good close out deals on them.

Posted: Nov 2, 2010 at 11:38 Quote
EMSbyDay wrote:
I was also looking at this fork as it seemed like a great entry level dual crown to get in DH'ing and very durable. Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone who had used one, or even a shop that had sold one.

I ended up going with a 2010 Boxxer Race, you can find some pretty good close out deals on them.
How do you like it? what bike do you ride? I am thinking of getting the single crown rockshox domain 318 180mm, because my bike is a kona stinky six, it is designed to only have a six inch fork, but I think I'll go with a 7 inch domain

Posted: Nov 2, 2010 at 11:54 Quote
could be wrong but i was under the impression that the boxxer race was more a budget dh fork while the domain DC was a freeride fork

Posted: Nov 2, 2010 at 17:31 Quote
I have an '09 Spec BigHit. I'd love to tell you how it is but it just arrived a few days ago and hasn't been installed/ridden.

As for the 2 forks and them being dh/freeride, my understanding is they are very similar in design and use, with similar adjustability, size, etc, difference being the Domain uses steel stantions and is able to take a little more abuse/crashing etc for the more novice rider but at the same time comes with a higher weight.

Posted: Nov 3, 2010 at 18:33 Quote
yeah, that's what I heard.....I decided to go with the single crown domain, I didn't get it yet, but if you want, I can let you know how it is once I have it.

Posted: Nov 10, 2010 at 21:26 Quote
It would be unwise to throw a fork on that has more travel.

http://forums.konaworld.com/index.php?showtopic=13478&hl=shock

The tech at kona is against it and his reasons are supported.
Plus you can always get better cartridges for your fork. Just avoid the TST2 at all cost!

Posted: Nov 10, 2010 at 23:06 Quote
Stainer wrote:

While in general it is good principle to stick to the same travel, some frames are capable of using single and dual crown forks of varying lengths. Take the current Specialized Big Hit frame, in use since 2009. Same frame used for all 3 levels of the bike and it has had everything from a 160mm single crown to a 200mm dual crown.

Best to check with the manufacturer.

Posted: Nov 21, 2010 at 16:20 Quote
Stainer wrote:

Plus you can always get better cartridges for your fork. Just avoid the TST2 at all cost!
Yeah, but I e-mailed kona and they said that some of their park edition bikes have an extra inch of travel up front, and that it won't hurt your bike.

Posted: Dec 18, 2010 at 16:22 Quote
Anyone ride the Dual Crown domain yet? Im thinking about getting one but havent heard anything about them.

Posted: Dec 18, 2010 at 20:40 Quote
i was the first person to test ride one at my shop, i found that the rebound doesnt go very slow... the slowest is still pretty quick and in the slowest setting the fork is really sticky... but it probably just needs to get broken in, compression is good, 12 clicks, and just like the boxxer race it stiffens up nicely or softens nice its heavy... my shop weighed it at 7.6lbs but for the price tag, i think it is quite the good entry level fork!

Posted: Dec 18, 2010 at 20:44 Quote
Thanks man! I think I may pick one up, as I am on a budget and I like the rebound a little fast anyway.

Posted: Dec 18, 2010 at 21:16 Quote
jesseparoline wrote:
Stainer wrote:

Yeah, but I e-mailed kona and they said that some of their park edition bikes have an extra inch of travel up front, and that it won't hurt your bike.
Ok, I know this was posted a month ago, but I need to say this:
DON'T DO THIS. Your stinky six was designed to take a six inch fork, and it might be able to take a 7 inch fork, BUT NOT A DUAL CROWN 8 INCH FORK. The domain DCs are 8 inchs (most dual crown forks are) and will destroy your bike's geo, and snap the headtube. I needed to get this off my chest.

Posted: Dec 18, 2010 at 21:19 Quote
EMSbyDay wrote:
Stainer wrote:

While in general it is good principle to stick to the same travel, some frames are capable of using single and dual crown forks of varying lengths. Take the current Specialized Big Hit frame, in use since 2009. Same frame used for all 3 levels of the bike and it has had everything from a 160mm single crown to a 200mm dual crown.

Best to check with the manufacturer.
The '09 and '10 bighit frames have different linkage. Your argument is invalid. Also, the '09 big hit I had a 6.75 inch travel frame. Anyway, putting a smaller fork on a frame that was designed to take a bigger fork only messes up the geometry. Putting a larger fork on a frame designed to take a smaller fork putts added stress on the headtube, and usually causes it to snap off.

Posted: Dec 18, 2010 at 21:26 Quote
komodo1 wrote:
Thanks man! I think I may pick one up, as I am on a budget and I like the rebound a little fast anyway.

when i first got on it the rebound was set to the slowest and i though it was at half the rebound speed

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019049
Mobile Version of Website