Anyone own a rockshox domain dual crown?

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Anyone own a rockshox domain dual crown?
Posted: Dec 19, 2010 at 6:36 Quote
samsq wrote:
EMSbyDay wrote:
Stainer wrote:
It would be unwise to throw a fork on that has more travel.

While in general it is good principle to stick to the same travel, some frames are capable of using single and dual crown forks of varying lengths. Take the current Specialized Big Hit frame, in use since 2009. Same frame used for all 3 levels of the bike and it has had everything from a 160mm single crown to a 200mm dual crown.

Best to check with the manufacturer.
The '09 and '10 bighit frames have different linkage. Your argument is invalid. Also, the '09 big hit I had a 6.75 inch travel frame. Anyway, putting a smaller fork on a frame that was designed to take a bigger fork only messes up the geometry. Putting a larger fork on a frame designed to take a smaller fork putts added stress on the headtube, and usually causes it to snap off.

Can you explain how the '09 and '10 Bighit frames are different? As far as I can see or read they are the exact same. As far as the '09 Bighit 1 having a 6.75" frame yes that is true, but it's the exact same frame as the '09 Bighit 3 the only difference is the stroke on the rear shock. The 1 uses a shorter stroke and can be replaced with the shoc from the 3 making it a 7.5" bike.

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 at 6:38 Quote
EMSbyDay wrote:
samsq wrote:
EMSbyDay wrote:

While in general it is good principle to stick to the same travel, some frames are capable of using single and dual crown forks of varying lengths. Take the current Specialized Big Hit frame, in use since 2009. Same frame used for all 3 levels of the bike and it has had everything from a 160mm single crown to a 200mm dual crown.

The '09 and '10 bighit frames have different linkage. Your argument is invalid. Also, the '09 big hit I had a 6.75 inch travel frame. Anyway, putting a smaller fork on a frame that was designed to take a bigger fork only messes up the geometry. Putting a larger fork on a frame designed to take a smaller fork putts added stress on the headtube, and usually causes it to snap off.

Can you explain how the '09 and '10 Bighit frames are different? As far as I can see or read they are the exact same. As far as the '09 Bighit 1 having a 6.75" frame yes that is true, but it's the exact same frame as the '09 Bighit 3 the only difference is the stroke on the rear shock. The 1 uses a shorter stroke and can be replaced with the shoc from the 3 making it a 7.5" bike.

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 at 11:34 Quote
Wow, thanks for the completely unhelpful post just highlighting something that I was obviously asking for claification on. can you explain, if you know, the difference in the linkage?

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 at 12:28 Quote
EMSbyDay wrote:
Wow, thanks for the completely unhelpful post just highlighting something that I was obviously asking for claification on. can you explain, if you know, the difference in the linkage?

Why does the linkage of a big hit matter to you? You ride a stinky 6! If you want a dh bike, then buy one! It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper to buy a fully built dh bike than it is to upgrade your stinky with parts that will break it.

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 at 12:38 Quote
EMSbyDay wrote:
The linkage is the piece of metal that connects the seatstay to the shock. If you look they are different.

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 at 15:26 Quote
Stainer wrote:
Why does the linkage of a big hit matter to you? You ride a stinky 6! If you want a dh bike, then buy one! It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper to buy a fully built dh bike than it is to upgrade your stinky with parts that will break it.

I dont own a stinky that was someone else, I own a Big Hit, but thanks for playing.

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 at 15:27 Quote
samsq wrote:
The linkage is the piece of metal that connects the seatstay to the shock. If you look they are different.

I'm not saying you are right or wrong, but I'm looking at the 2 frames and the rear linkage looks the same to me.

Link to current 2011 frame (200mm DC fork AND 7.5" rear)
http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52698&scid=1000&scname=Mountain

Link to 2009 BH 1 with 6.75-7.5 rear
http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?arc=2009&spid=39215

Geometry, tube lengths etc are all the same too.

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 at 16:23 Quote
EMSbyDay wrote:
samsq wrote:

I'm not saying you are right or wrong, but I'm looking at the 2 frames and the rear linkage looks the same to me.

Link to current 2011 frame (200mm DC fork AND 7.5" rear)
http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52698&scid=1000&scname=Mountain

Link to 2009 BH 1 with 6.75-7.5 rear
http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?arc=2009&spid=39215

Geometry, tube lengths etc are all the same too.
You might be right about the linkage, but there is DEFIANTLY a gusset on the seattube of the 2011 one that is not on the 09 one.

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 at 16:57 Quote
You mean at the top of the top tube where it meets the seat tube? I'll give you that looks different, but dont see that that affects a bikes safe fork travel ability making that frame usable for 160-200mm of front travel and 6.75-7.5" rear travel.

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 at 16:59 Quote
EMSbyDay wrote:
You mean at the top of the top tube where it meets the seat tube? I'll give you that looks different, but dont see that that affects a bikes safe fork travel ability making that frame usable for 160-200mm of front travel and 6.75-7.5" rear travel.
I don't even care that if doesn't affect the travel, I was just trying to prove that the frames are different.

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 at 17:16 Quote
This is a dumb arguement. The extra brace however, may make the frame stronger so it is more able to use a dual crown fork.

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 at 17:54 Quote
komodo1 wrote:
This is a dumb arguement. The extra brace however, may make the frame stronger so it is more able to use a dual crown fork.
I know it was dumb, I was just being an asshat.

Posted: Dec 20, 2010 at 21:04 Quote
samsq wrote:
EMSbyDay wrote:
Stainer wrote:
It would be unwise to throw a fork on that has more travel.

I know, If you had heard what I said, I said that I was gonna go with the single crown (7), not the dual.

Posted: Dec 22, 2010 at 13:08 Quote
jesseparoline wrote:
samsq wrote:
EMSbyDay wrote:

I know, If you had heard what I said, I said that I was gonna go with the single crown (7), not the dual.
Oops.

Posted: Jun 28, 2014 at 19:14 Quote
I know this is kind of a dead thread, but I'm also looking at a domain dual crown 200mm For my Big Hit FSR The stock fork (170mm stance kingpin) is blown, and apparently impossible to find parts for anymore.Will it really screw with my bike that much over 30mm?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.014291
Mobile Version of Website