After thoughts on life cycles

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
After thoughts on life cycles
Posted: Dec 7, 2010 at 19:04 Quote
i thought the movie was sick it wasnt just all about riding and showin tricks and stuff its more about the bike and the land we ride on which i think is a good change from the others

Posted: Dec 7, 2010 at 19:07 Quote
It was too much about the art. Basically if they had the riding from Follow Me with the artistry and editing from Life Cycles it would have been the best movie ever.

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2010 at 19:08 Quote
j-teeple wrote:
It was too much about the art. Basically if they had the riding from Follow Me with the artistry and editing from Life Cycles it would have been the best movie ever.
Did you see it in collingwood?

Posted: Dec 7, 2010 at 19:09 Quote
Nope I got it from my shop.

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2010 at 19:10 Quote
j-teeple wrote:
Nope I got it from my shop.
whats the dvd cost?

Posted: Dec 7, 2010 at 19:20 Quote
Life cycles tried too hard to be different. I was impressed with the fact that they attempted to abandon the traditional movie formula, but they went in a direction that I don't personally enjoy watching. It tried to be too artsy, with odd camera angles, WAY too many high speed camera shots, and chill music. Segments like this are cool, but its not really what mountain biking is about to me. I like high speed shredding, shown in real time, with a sweet soundtrack. Its ok to try something new, but they should of left some more traditional stuff in there. Oh, and did I mention that there were WAY too many high speed camera shots?

Really, the easiest way to judge how good a movie is is if it makes you want to go out and ride after. Life Cycles didn't for me, so it rates low on the quality scale, like a 4.5/10

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2010 at 19:29 Quote
manaicrobbins wrote:
Life cycles tried too hard to be different. I was impressed with the fact that they attempted to abandon the traditional movie formula, but they went in a direction that I don't personally enjoy watching. It tried to be too artsy, with odd camera angles, WAY too many high speed camera shots, and chill music. Segments like this are cool, but its not really what mountain biking is about to me. I like high speed shredding, shown in real time, with a sweet soundtrack. Its ok to try something new, but they should of left some more traditional stuff in there. Oh, and did I mention that there were WAY too many high speed camera shots?

Really, the easiest way to judge how good a movie is is if it makes you want to go out and ride after. Life Cycles didn't for me, so it rates low on the quality scale, like a 4.5/10

Im the opposite, shit made me want to shred.

Posted: Dec 7, 2010 at 19:41 Quote
ritchierich wrote:

same here, it got me pretty stoked to ride

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2010 at 20:37 Quote
shredwhiteandblue wrote:
ritchierich wrote:

same here, it got me pretty stoked to ride

just watched " here we go again" it was good but to similar to nwd 10. life cycles is still my favorite

Posted: Dec 11, 2010 at 12:31 Quote
I have to agree with some of the other people on here whey they say that Life Cycles was a bit too....Life Cycles...

It was a good movie and the production quality was phenomenal, however I was not stoked to go riding at all after watching this movie. I simply looked at my lady, we both looked at our bikes, both said "that was neat" and turned on the DIY network on TV. I got the same feeling out of this movie as I did out of Planet Earth. Cool shots, amazingly vivid colours and resolution but overall not too exciting.

If they would have had any scenes without either slow motion or heavy-handed time lapse transition effects I would have liked this movie a whole lot more. Ultimately though this movie relied entirely on the nifty video effects to compensate for rather uninspired riding and a pretentious narrative.

My verdict:

Showcase for RED camera: 10/10

Bike Video: 3.5/10

O+
Posted: Dec 12, 2010 at 21:38 Quote
j-teeple wrote:

Totally agree. The quality was there in life cycles, but I really wished for more riding and more sense of speed too much slow mo. They need to balance it more.

However, going back and watching Follow me, you can tell the camera and quality is not as awesome as I thought. The imagery from Life Cycles is unparalleled to me.

Posted: Dec 12, 2010 at 22:24 Quote
I thought it was great. and like previously said, it's not better or worse than "follow me" or NWD10. It's just different. Not as much riding, i'll admit, but the riding in it is explored so dynamically through the camera work it's phenomenal. The shot of the hip at the beginning of Mike Hopkins section was insane!!!

Posted: Dec 13, 2010 at 21:00 Quote
K it's been almost two weeks since I heard that they've started shipping and I still don't have my copy yet and I ordered in September.
Like this is getting ridiculous I want that movie!

Posted: Dec 18, 2010 at 14:13 Quote
I agree to some of the previous statements about how it was trying too hard to be artsy and in terms of biking-movie- from which Life Cycles tries to distance itself, which in my opinion only works partially- my favourites are still "Ride To The Hills" and "Grounded".

But I'm really grateful to the Life Cycles team for showing that a bike-movie can still be something distinct, not just attempting to be like the bigger branches of FMX or Ski/Snowboard movies.

I left the biking scene quite a while ago, after it seemed that the important things have become pick-up trucks and big-boobed women. The Collective films were a step in a direction, which I could appreciate more, but I didn't think that there would ever come a movie, which approaches the topic in such a sensitive way.

So, while I still would reject most of the banal metaphysics within the narrative and defenitely would like to see a bit more variety in terms of riding, I really do thank the team for getting at least a few moments capturing the emotions I feel, when being out on the trail.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015336
Mobile Version of Website