riding with your dog

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
riding with your dog
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 4, 2010 at 21:35 Quote
what are good dogs to come biking with you? Any tips in training?

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 18:50 Quote
ones that come back when called Smile My dog loves coming biking but has a short attention span. I keep her on leash for the way up because we are too slow and she wanders and trys to lead the way but on the way down she has a blast and I have the advantage of being faster so she follows our group and always stopps with the group cause she needs a break. This was my first puppy and it can be alot of work to train a dog on recall. My best advice is choose your dog carefully, on that fits into your whole life not just biking, and once you have a dog if you are having any trouble training it at all get the help of a professional asap! That was the best thing I did and now I have an awesome trail buddy!

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 at 8:04 Quote
Collies, and healers are really good dogs. They are bred to heard animals, instead of training the to herd animals you train them to herd you in a since of following you while your riding.

Posted: Jan 31, 2011 at 0:55 Quote
yeah Collies are really easy to train. Very placid and well behaved as well. The love chasing cars though. We've had loads of dogs and I always think sheepdogs are the best. We've had terriers, cocker spaniels, retrievers and they were all waaay harder to train and can be quite unruly if you dont get a good one. All collies we have had have been well behaved.

Posted: Jan 31, 2011 at 3:01 Quote
I know I will get super flamed for this but if you care about your dog don't ride with it yes they have evolved or been breed to do things like running fast and hunting but they are not designed to run for extremely long periods at speed.
if you are the type of guy to coast down a hill 3 times a day on the weekends than that's no problem but if you ride 4 or 5 HRS in a day you are just going to run the hips off your dog people just don't notice it because dogs don't complain of pain till it is extreme and a dog will run to keep up till its dam near dead.
I have watched people run dogs to death way to many times and than blame it on something else or the breed and in all the cases I have seen only one that had the hips replaced on the dog instead of having it killed.
so flame away if me getting bitched at by people who don't want to deal with what they are doing to their dog is what it takes than so be it if one person can get the message.
keep in mind this is for people that ride allot and NOT for people who go for a reasonable ride with a dog.

Posted: Feb 28, 2011 at 8:48 Quote
wanabe wrote:
I know I will get super flamed for this but if you care about your dog don't ride with it yes they have evolved or been breed to do things like running fast and hunting but they are not designed to run for extremely long periods at speed.
if you are the type of guy to coast down a hill 3 times a day on the weekends than that's no problem but if you ride 4 or 5 HRS in a day you are just going to run the hips off your dog people just don't notice it because dogs don't complain of pain till it is extreme and a dog will run to keep up till its dam near dead.
I have watched people run dogs to death way to many times and than blame it on something else or the breed and in all the cases I have seen only one that had the hips replaced on the dog instead of having it killed.
so flame away if me getting bitched at by people who don't want to deal with what they are doing to their dog is what it takes than so be it if one person can get the message.
keep in mind this is for people that ride allot and NOT for people who go for a reasonable ride with a dog.

You are correct, don't over do it with a dog not bred for high activity (sheep dogs etc) Dogs are pack creatures and will run themselves to death, Just to stay with you...

Also don't run puppies hard until they are over 1yr old, not saying dont bring them, just dont speed hard downhill with a puppy. My buddy takes his dog for very light xc rides just to get him used to the idea.(like 30 mins and fast strolling pace) You want to mentally prepare them, but not damage them for life. Once they get over 1 yr start increasin the intensity...

Oh and btw an excellent breed is an Australian Sheepdog, basically a slightly calmer version of a border collie.
Great looking, amazing personality and lives to protect the family..

Cant go wrong... Collies are a little to "ball crazy" for my liking. Australians are perfect amount of focus...

just my 2c.

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 8:30 Quote
I have a Yellow Lab that loves to go on XC rides with me. Not to mention when no other buddies can go, it beats going by yourself, bringing the four-legged friend is great.

Like the above posters said you can overdue it. For me, she can easily hang on XC trails for a good 3-5 miles plus depending on the day. Its very easy to notice when she's tired and usually starts to run behind the bike rather than out in front. Just pay attention to your dog, the exercise is awesome for both of you, and with a dog like a Lab being out in the woods is heaven.

Posted: Mar 26, 2011 at 22:15 Quote
I have a pit bull mix (I've had a bunch of wonderful and well behaved pit bulls over the years), and she is a great companion. She will run with me for a few miles of slow riding but slows down early when the heat builds. I make sure she has lots of water and breaks during the day. My rides are less than 45 mins and she has fun. If I have longer rides, then she stays home. She needs exercise as much as well do, but I have to know her limits.

My current riding companion is 5 years old and has lots of experience running/riding with me. Squirrels are still an issue, but she always catches up with me Big Grin

When riding/running wtih her, she's always my priority. Sometimes, that can be a distraction from my training. I still prefer having her along though. If I'm in the woods, I'm always concerned about bears etc. The last thing I want is an incident with my dog.

Posted: Apr 3, 2011 at 8:15 Quote
wanabe wrote:

you are right, sir.

Posted: Apr 9, 2011 at 22:10 Quote
Australian Kelpie are pretty darn good. My dog can heard sheep and run around after dirtbikes ( his top speed is 40kmh) all day so chasing a mtb for a few hours is childs play. They are very active though so you need to walk them a couple of times a day. Also very smart so you need to challenge them. They are also very loyal mine will walk next to me most of the time on the way back up.

Posted: Apr 14, 2011 at 12:27 Quote
my husky lab is good, I taught him commands like "rider back" and he'll get to the side of the trail. the only problem is he can get really hot on long fast rides on hit days so I just gotta bring water, but thats the case with any dog.

Posted: Apr 14, 2011 at 12:43 Quote
i know wolves aren't exactly the same as a domesticated dog but they are very similar (i am not talking size i am talking D.N.A) and dogs love to run why do you think you see little puppies pulling on there leads and why do dogs chase balls across a park and i can see where you are coming from about the whole running it for like 6-7 hours but a dog will get fit and if you can do it then why the hell cant mr woofles??
wanabe wrote:

Posted: Feb 26, 2012 at 6:43 Quote
I ride with my dog and as for training training recall is easy you just have keep the continuity up,
I let mine he's an inuit basically a British wolf dog breed minus the wolf and he loves it but I'm really careful with him ie don't exhaust him and let him pick his pace and lovely let him run
As for breeds I gotta say any dog that's been bred to run ie husky or something not a collie they have not been genetically manipulated as all dog breeds are to be sled dogs or running dogs

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017789
Mobile Version of Website