HELP ME PLEASE: how to remover a stripped allen screw

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
HELP ME PLEASE: how to remover a stripped allen screw
Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 20:56 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Facepalm just got to your LBS and ask them to take the starnut out. No drilling or anything required.
i did this method for a striped lock on nut. they charded me 20$ to drill it then procede to tell me grip was unusable, but i could always but a new pair there for 30$ soo.... after some skilled getto rigging my grip is still in use today lol. so dont take it to a bike shop. fix it yourself.

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 20:58 Quote
Tyler-49 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Facepalm just got to your LBS and ask them to take the starnut out. No drilling or anything required.
i did this method for a striped lock on nut. they charded me 20$ to drill it then procede to tell me grip was unusable, but i could always but a new pair there for 30$ soo.... after some skilled getto rigging my grip is still in use today lol. so dont take it to a bike shop. fix it yourself.
how is that related to a starnut?

And if your LBS does that then I suggest you find a new one.

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 20:59 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Tyler-49 wrote:
Nobble wrote:

only one within 70 miles Frown i live in a hick town near downiville

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 21:04 Quote
Tyler-49 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Tyler-49 wrote:

That blows man, I suggest you save up and buy all the tools yourself.

this is the tool he would need:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.moredirt.co.uk/photos/39077.jpg

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 21:51 Quote
ya good little xc all mounin shop in grayegale, ca just they might get 3 bikes to fix and 5 purchases a week on a normal week so they price everything hight in the off months.in the summer its a trail mecca (seiarra butes trail stewerd ships headquarters are in the same building as the shop) but know they need money bad they open once a week now

O+
Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 22:30 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Tyler-49 wrote:
Nobble wrote:

That blows man, I suggest you save up and buy all the tools yourself.

this is the tool he would need:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.moredirt.co.uk/photos/39077.jpg

You are very wrong, that tool is to remove the headset cups from the frame. And your suggestion to simply remove the starnut is wrong too. The only way to do this in his situation is no hit it with a large punch from the bottom and beat the crap out of it. He needs to just do the easy out, it'll definitly work, it's the cheapest, easiest, and will allow him to reuse the starnut. If you were to take this situation to any good shop, and say remove the starnut, they would say "no, let me do it the right way" and use an easy out

Posted: Nov 9, 2010 at 0:32 Quote
you could take the front wheel off and take the lowers off your forks and then bang the starnut out from the bottom of the crown

Posted: Nov 9, 2010 at 2:09 Quote
altrac wrote:
you could take the front wheel off and take the lowers off your forks and then bang the starnut out from the bottom of the crown

Some forks steer er tubes are internally tapered so isn't always possible.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2010 at 8:19 Quote
altrac wrote:

why spend the time, money and effort of dropping the lowers? just extract the damn thing!

Posted: Nov 10, 2010 at 0:23 Quote
well if they'e simple enough forks like my dj4s it takes about 2 minutes to undo 4 allen bolts on the crown and 2 big sockets on top of the crown that hold on the stantions

Posted: Nov 10, 2010 at 1:43 Quote
altrac wrote:
well if they'e simple enough forks like my dj4s it takes about 2 minutes to undo 4 allen bolts on the crown and 2 big sockets on top of the crown that hold on the stantions

Newer forks,use press fitted crowns there is no chance of using your method.

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2010 at 3:20 Quote
TeeRex wrote:
There's also the ghetto method if the screw head is not recessed. Carefully cut a slot in the screw head with a hacksaw, then use a large flat bladed screwdriver to unscrew it.

But using extractors is the better method, as people have already stated.
+1 , i have down this a few times with stripped star shaped disc break bold ones.. take less then 2 minutes and has not failed me yet

Posted: Nov 10, 2010 at 4:37 Quote
Simple fix requires a 2 page debate?

The easy out/extractor will work, or if that is to complicated drill the head off by utilizing a bit SLIGHTLY larger than the shank of the bolt. Head pops off, you can get your fork off, and then there will be no load on the threads and a pair of vice grips will remove the remaining bolt.

Posted: Nov 12, 2010 at 0:41 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
Simple fix requires a 2 page debate?

The easy out/extractor will work, or if that is to complicated drill the head off by utilizing a bit SLIGHTLY larger than the shank of the bolt. Head pops off, you can get your fork off, and then there will be no load on the threads and a pair of vice grips will remove the remaining bolt.

So, it was an interesting topic with a number of possible ways of fixing it. I dunno what the problem is with that

Posted: Nov 12, 2010 at 2:03 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
Simple fix requires a 2 page debate? .

2 pages??? That's nothing, you should check out the 8 page thread on Rotorburn on the stuck pedal. Very entertaining.

Now that I understand what the problem is, to the OP, if you refuse to follow all the good advice in this thread and just get some Easiouts (The Hoover of screw extractors) you could also just take the bolt head and top cap off with an angle grinder, destroying the top cap and bolt in the process, then punch the star nut out the bottom of the steerer tube from the top. This would also be the end of the star nut. You would then just need to buy a new star nut, top cap and bolt (all pretty cheap parts) then refit.

In case you hadn't gathered, this is a very agricultural solution. But it would work.

Really - take it to your LBS.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014268
Mobile Version of Website