What are the implications of running an 8.75x2.75 shock in place of an 8.75x2.50 shock?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
What are the implications of running an 8.75x2.75 shock in place of an 8.75x2.50 shock?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 7, 2010 at 7:59 Quote
Hi, This is perhaps a really dumb question, so apologies in advance if so Facepalm , but I am current running a Fox DHX5 air shock on my bike which is 8.75x2.50, but I've got a DHX5 coil shock spare and want to use this as I prefer the feel of a coil spring. The problem is, the coil DHX5 is 8.75x2.75 and I don't know if this is going to be a major problem?

I guess that the shock would "bottom out" earlier in the strong because of the extra length of the stroke, but would this damage the shock or the bike? It's a Norco Six One 2008 and I just can't get on with the air shock, but realise that a longer stroke coil shock may limit the travel or even damage the shock.

Any help greatly appreciated. tup

thanks

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 9:57 Quote
Wont damage the shock, but may damage the frame or have really odd leverage at the end of stroke.

All you can do is take your current shock out, and cycle the suspension by hand to the compressed eye to eye length that the 2.75 stoke shock has, and see if anything interferese, or it gets hard to compress without the shock there. If all works, then give 'er.

If it does interfere, its easy to make a "travel chip" out of plastic that is .25 thick with a slit cut in it for behind the bottom out bumper... thats all the demo 7 used to have to limit it to lower travel. Either way, youll be able to make that shock work out for you, with more travel or the same travel. Win win.

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 10:07 Quote
Thanks Hummeroid.

It's a Norco Six One 2008 if that helps at all. I'll try your recommendations for sure!

Hummeroid wrote:
All you can do is take your current shock out, and cycle the suspension by hand to the compressed eye to eye length that the 2.75 stoke shock has, and see if anything interferese, or it gets hard to compress without the shock there. If all works, then give 'er.

That makes sense.

Hummeroid wrote:
If it does interfere, its easy to make a "travel chip" out of plastic that is .25 thick with a slit cut in it for behind the bottom out bumper... thats all the demo 7 used to have to limit it to lower travel. Either way, youll be able to make that shock work out for you, with more travel or the same travel. Win win.

I'd like to stick to the same travel, so the bottom out bumper "travel chip" sounds the perfect solution! Thanks for all your help, much appreciated!

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 10:11 Quote
Well, I can tell you my Six definitely had room for a little more stroke, but I never did anything with it. So chances are itll work.

But yeah, travel chip is easy, cheap and reliable. Good luck!

Posted: Nov 8, 2010 at 10:14 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Well, I can tell you my Six definitely had room for a little more stroke, but I never did anything with it. So chances are itll work.

But yeah, travel chip is easy, cheap and reliable. Good luck!

Perfect, thanks for all your help Hummeroid. I'll let you know how I get on and post a pic or something! :-) Brillant! Thanks!

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 at 21:43 Quote
cydaps wrote:
Perfect, thanks for all your help Hummeroid. I'll let you know how I get on and post a pic or something! :-) Brillant! Thanks!

Soo... did it work??

Posted: Sep 18, 2013 at 8:23 Quote
To be honest I can't even remember.... I think it did but I've gone through a load of bikes and haven't got a scoobies what I was trying to do now!!! Getting old and losing your memory is a wonderful thing!!! Smile

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009548
Mobile Version of Website