Post your computer's Specs, and discuss improvements.

PB Forum :: Computers, Games & Technology
Post your computer's Specs, and discuss improvements.
Posted: Jun 4, 2017 at 22:40 Quote
Just traded some cash for a used XFX 480. I turned a 10377 3D Passmark with it. My 770 was undervolted and underclocked to 1054mhz and did about 6100. Bit of an upgrade.

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 5:09 Quote
Little bit!

I'd actually consider selling that graphics card if I were you. They're going for near $400 on eBay because of ethereum mining.

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 9:04 Quote
Not your build but just those processors. @LindLTaylor.
I'm a year away from a new computer so...who knows what I'll end up with. Probably go back to Intel as per usual.

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 13:12 Quote
I know. I have considered it for 2 reasons. 1, I can already tell I'll need 8GB for even for 1080p soon, and 2, I'll need more power. As strong as it is, and as well as the 770 treated me even yesterday before I had the 480. Ffs, I could sell it for enough to buy a 1070. Not that I would... I'd hold out for Vega. I think.

I feel bad for the guy who sold me the card though. He posted on CL for $175. Dropped to $165 a couple days later. That's what I paid. XFX RS, 4GB RX480.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, or something. And I can't complain performance-per-dollar for what it is to me now.

Posted: Jun 5, 2017 at 20:01 Quote
Creegz wrote:
Not your build but just those processors. @LindLTaylor.
I'm a year away from a new computer so...who knows what I'll end up with. Probably go back to Intel as per usual.

I think Intel and AMD are going to be two very different creatures than they are now within a year's time.

GlennM907 wrote:
I know. I have considered it for 2 reasons. 1, I can already tell I'll need 8GB for even for 1080p soon, and 2, I'll need more power. As strong as it is, and as well as the 770 treated me even yesterday before I had the 480. Ffs, I could sell it for enough to buy a 1070. Not that I would... I'd hold out for Vega. I think.

I feel bad for the guy who sold me the card though. He posted on CL for $175. Dropped to $165 a couple days later. That's what I paid. XFX RS, 4GB RX480.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, or something. And I can't complain performance-per-dollar for what it is to me now.

I personally was going to do the same thing, except I'm willing to bet that between first-day investors and the mining craze, Vega is going to be snapped up by the miners faster than one of us can say "bitcoin".

Posted: Jul 14, 2017 at 13:14 Quote
Dev1lOne wrote:
Awerol wrote:
HELP! how to backup deleted images from desktop? the bin is empty

At this site you'll find the necessary information on how to recover the deleted files (music, photos) from your PC. You can also try recuva but as for me it has too complicated interface. Before recovering the photos it's better to scan your computer.
Recuva works usually for me, run deep scan and it does take a long time but it's normally all I do.

Posted: Jul 15, 2017 at 13:27 Quote
Process of upgrading my PC. I'm going Ryzen...most likely 1700

Kinda undecided on motherboard though.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NThHbj

I'm currently running a Phenom II X6 2.8ghz and 8gb DDR3

Posted: Jul 15, 2017 at 13:45 Quote
I'm running the 1700, and I'm going to be completely honest here: It's overkill for 80% of the stuff I do daily. It's amazing for capturing HD gameplay footage and/or streaming (I've actually successfully capped 1080p60 at a very nice-looking quality) and it doesn't miss a beat, but I haven't streamed anything in nearly a month now (I suppose I should get on that). It's considerably more powerful than the R5 1600, but that extra horsepower isn't really needed unless you're capturing or otherwise creating content (photo editing, streaming/recording game sessions, and so on...)

I would actually suggest saving some cash and going with the 1600 and a B350 board (unless you're doing XF/SLI), as you'll keep over $200CAD in your pocket for other stuff like RAM and/or an M.2 SSD. If you reaaaaally need that XF/SLI, I'd still suggest the Asrock Taichi over the CH6 Hero.

It's also worth noting that right now is one of the worst times to try and buy a GPU because of ethereum mining. :/

Posted: Jul 15, 2017 at 14:30 Quote
LindLTaylor wrote:
I'm running the 1700, and I'm going to be completely honest here: It's overkill for 80% of the stuff I do daily. It's amazing for capturing HD gameplay footage and/or streaming (I've actually successfully capped 1080p60 at a very nice-looking quality) and it doesn't miss a beat, but I haven't streamed anything in nearly a month now (I suppose I should get on that). It's considerably more powerful than the R5 1600, but that extra horsepower isn't really needed unless you're capturing or otherwise creating content (photo editing, streaming/recording game sessions, and so on...)

I would actually suggest saving some cash and going with the 1600 and a B350 board (unless you're doing XF/SLI), as you'll keep over $200CAD in your pocket for other stuff like RAM and/or an M.2 SSD. If you reaaaaally need that XF/SLI, I'd still suggest the Asrock Taichi over the CH6 Hero.

It's also worth noting that right now is one of the worst times to try and buy a GPU because of ethereum mining. :/

So, did a revamp. $30 Rebate on the motherboard as well.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/CgyjCy

Posted: Jul 15, 2017 at 16:32 Quote
Nice!

I would suggest sticking with the 3000 mhz ram, too. I know it's a few bucks more but the infinity fabric interconnect (the stuff that syncs the two core modules together) syncs with faster RAM. RAM support is getting a lot better, especially with the latest AGESA update (My 2800mhz LPX ram XMP'd right up to spec after flashing) and so I suspect should too, if you do go that route.

I know I'm dropping a lot of information on ya but I'm trying to help you get the best machine you can get a hold of.

Posted: Jul 15, 2017 at 16:49 Quote
LindLTaylor wrote:
Nice!

I would suggest sticking with the 3000 mhz ram, too. I know it's a few bucks more but the infinity fabric interconnect (the stuff that syncs the two core modules together) syncs with faster RAM. RAM support is getting a lot better, especially with the latest AGESA update (My 2800mhz LPX ram XMP'd right up to spec after flashing) and so I suspect should too, if you do go that route.

I know I'm dropping a lot of information on ya but I'm trying to help you get the best machine you can get a hold of.

Yea. Originally had 3000mhz ram but others say I won't notice a difference or it's overkill...but it's only $10...so I'll probably go with the 3000Mhz in the end.

Posted: Jul 15, 2017 at 17:08 Quote
Yeah. I mean, I didn't notice going from 2666 to 2800, but 3000-3200 is the sweet spot for Ryzen, really.

Dude, I'm super psyched for you. It's going to be a sweet upgrade. What are you planning for your GPU?

Posted: Jul 15, 2017 at 17:18 Quote
LindLTaylor wrote:
Yeah. I mean, I didn't notice going from 2666 to 2800, but 3000-3200 is the sweet spot for Ryzen, really.

Dude, I'm super psyched for you. It's going to be a sweet upgrade. What are you planning for your GPU?

Sticking with my R9 270 for now...I'm waiting to see what AMD brings with Vega.

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 1:44 Quote
RAM is pretty flexible as long as it has decent head spreaders. I had 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix, 9-9-9-24 1600 at 1.5 (DDR3). I ran them at 12-13-13-34 2400mhz 1.65v with no problems. Upgraded to Kingston 2x8, 10-11-10-30 1866. I had to loosen the third (tertiary*?) timings as well to even get to 2400, let alone pass it. Now they're running 1.65v at 15-16-15-40 2800mhz with a mix of third timings I could likely optimize if I find the urge to reboot and run memtest86 repeatedly for an hour for minimal gains.

Edit: the Crucial ram refuses to exceed 1600mhz in another machine now, though. It's a mini-itx build in a MITXPC MX500 case with a PicoPSU. Not sure if those 4 unoccupied spots in the motherboard's 24-pin jack are to blame.

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 8:10 Quote
It's likely the ram. None of this stuff is perfectly manufactured when it comes to overclocking, every single individual piece is acutely different.

My old i7 920 had stepping capability and the stepping worked like shit, I had to put in a slightly higher voltage to get some of the stable stepping overclocks on it. I swapped with my friends processor, same model and we bought em same day, stepping worked fine.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013388
Mobile Version of Website