Post your computer's Specs, and discuss improvements.

PB Forum :: Computers, Games & Technology
Post your computer's Specs, and discuss improvements.
Posted: Dec 26, 2017 at 16:31 Quote
As it was Christmas yesterday I’ve been getting offered peoples old pc crap all day.

Couple old shite dell’s coming my way (fun to tinker with if nothing else) and I thought I hit the jackpot when someone offered me a 771/775 mod Xeon desktop machine! Then my brother proceeds to get given an i5-3470 and a 1050Ti Blank Stare

Ah well it means I can steal his i3-4170 and GTX680 til my Ryzen system gets done.

I’m going to have to get some pictures of the current rig ‘Wilson’ for you all, it’s a hilarious looking thing! Might cut a side window into the case just because I can haha.

Posted: Dec 26, 2017 at 16:39 Quote
I highly recommend audiotechnica. I have the ath ad700x open back cans, as well as the m50x closed back model. The m50x has definitely become my daily driver, you can swap cable lengths, they fold up nice for traveling, very comfy, and reasonably priced. As for the sound card, there’s always the chance that you might pick up cross-talk with your computers other components. For that reason I picked up an ASUS LGA-pro mobo with a higher end audio chipset built in. Sound is flawless when I run my headphones through my NAD amp

Posted: Dec 27, 2017 at 11:57 Quote
I ended up ordering the SBZ and the CALs, the headphones are relatively inexpensive so not a big deal if they're not to my taste. It was actually mostly between the CALs and M40x (from what I was reading these were a little more suitable for me than the M50X) at the end but the CALs apparently have a slightly better sense of space

I need to get myself to a reputation where people just give me stuff I like lol

Posted: Dec 27, 2017 at 18:34 Quote
rAtty-c wrote:
Double post.

@PDee, is the motherboard manually controlling voltage for the RAM? I know another common issue is the RAM setting itself to a lower speed due to poor power commitment from the board. Tom’s Hardware forums probably have an instructable to help you troubleshoot if you aren’t familiar with voltage and timings.

No clue. Still doing some reading lol. My current semester of college got extended so I'll probably wait until it finishes and I complete all my tasks before I start messing around. this is the only computer I have right now so I need it to be stable and functional.

Posted: Dec 28, 2017 at 11:41 Quote
To all my canadian amigo's out there.

Does anybody have a power supply they could donate to my friend? Shipping costs of course would be covered by yours truly!

It would be most helpful, they are tech minded and can easily fit it but their funds are tight and are kind of stuck without a machine of course!

Thanks guys, have a good new year!

Posted: Dec 28, 2017 at 13:30 Quote
Only PSU I have is an old 400w Server PSU, large and flat, wouldn't fit in a case and different connectors.

Posted: Dec 29, 2017 at 15:02 Quote
rAtty-c wrote:
To all my canadian amigo's out there.

Does anybody have a power supply they could donate to my friend? Shipping costs of course would be covered by yours truly!

It would be most helpful, they are tech minded and can easily fit it but their funds are tight and are kind of stuck without a machine of course!

Thanks guys, have a good new year!

Whereabouts in Canada? It's a big country just saying.

I think I might have something.... an old 20 pin molex PSU for a Pentium 4, 350W IIRC but I can check, I also had like 4GB of DDR2-667.

BTW for anyone wondering about my virtualization and homelab situation. I'm doing a bare metal install of linux and using GRUB2 instead of messing around with VM's. Also I have Win10 Home which I didn't realize I have to upgrade to Win10 Pro (US$99) to get Hyper-V.

If it doesn't work out I'm gonna try VMWare Player first and *maybe* upgrade to VMWare Workstation Pro if I find I need it.

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 at 13:16 Quote
Just did my first platform swap since 2012.

From Z77 i5 3570k, to Z370 i7 8700k.

Also, new RAM (needed DDR4), new SSD (M.2) and some new Peripherals (Corsair K70 RGB Mechanical MX silent, Corsair RGB Mousepad)

Can't believe the difference so far. Kept my GTX970 for now, but will probably change that later this year.

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 15:04 Quote
RGB Mousepad??? Why?!?!

Sounds like fantastic upgrade though man! Always wanted a z77 chipset when I was younger, remember lusting after an ASRock Z77 Extreme1 motherboard... would still outdo my current system too! lol Cry

On that particular note, having a weird boot loop issue with my MSI 775 board, it goes from halfway though loading the OS to restart several times before actually finishing the boot.

Yet I take the Q6600 and RAM (3.5GB!) and same boot drive into a shitty Dell board and it has no such issue so I know it’s a board issue. Cleared the CMOS and checked the bios config and nothing is jumping out at me, any ideas?

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 23:52 Quote
rAtty-c wrote:
RGB Mousepad??? Why?!?!

Sounds like fantastic upgrade though man! Always wanted a z77 chipset when I was younger, remember lusting after an ASRock Z77 Extreme1 motherboard... would still outdo my current system too! lol Cry

On that particular note, having a weird boot loop issue with my MSI 775 board, it goes from halfway though loading the OS to restart several times before actually finishing the boot.

Yet I take the Q6600 and RAM (3.5GB!) and same boot drive into a shitty Dell board and it has no such issue so I know it’s a board issue. Cleared the CMOS and checked the bios config and nothing is jumping out at me, any ideas?

Well the z77 stuff is for sale...

Haha

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 5:17 Quote
*cough cough no selling on forums cough*

lol

Thanks for the offer man, but considering how I’m still battling along with a ddr2/775 system and a GT240 your old setup might be slightly out of my league price wise! I would probably only be able to offer you less than CeX!

Has anyone had any issues with the kernel bug yet? (Just curious) I know my brothers i3 4170k system has noticed somewhat of a slowdown when he has been doing things like large file compression and rendering. Luckily my CPU is far too old to be effected by it!

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 6:07 Quote
I've heard of cases that have slowed 3rd and 4th gen core processors by about 20% across the board.

My honest advice would be to disable Windows updates. Unless you are a system hooked up to a large corporate network or something I wouldn't even worry about the exploit.

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 6:15 Quote
Intel has had to keep rolling their updates back because of breaking things anyway.

Honestly the best way to keep yourself secure is to use password entropy and stay away from phishy sites. Common sense type stuff.

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 23:49 Quote
LindLTaylor wrote:
Intel has had to keep rolling their updates back because of breaking things anyway.

Honestly the best way to keep yourself secure is to use password entropy and stay away from phishy sites. Common sense type stuff.

Not correct ... html pages may be a way to infect your pc, port scan and ddos attacks may target you, browser add-ons may be outdated and become vulnerable.

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 4:15 Quote
Which statement is incorrect? There's very little to be done about 3rd party problems to begin with. At the rate you're going, you'll be telling us that a person might as well get rid of their computer to avoid being targeted by these vulnerabilities.

The things you mentioned also aren't specific to spectre or meltdown. They're already ways to attack a client.

It's already common sense to avoid websites that you know don't get updated frequently because they make for good targets- same thing for outdated browser addons. As far as portscan and DDoS attacks- if someone can access your system that way, they're far more likely to try other larger/more effective attacks than taking a chance at getting sensitive information out of your RAM.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.013038
Mobile Version of Website