Post your computer's Specs, and discuss improvements.

PB Forum :: Computers, Games & Technology
Post your computer's Specs, and discuss improvements.
Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 10:30 Quote
LindLTaylor wrote:
The things you mentioned also aren't specific to spectre or meltdown. They're already ways to attack a client.

It's already common sense to avoid websites that you know don't get updated frequently because they make for good targets- same thing for outdated browser addons. As far as portscan and DDoS attacks- if someone can access your system that way, they're far more likely to try other larger/more effective attacks than taking a chance at getting sensitive information out of your RAM.

+1. These are pretty advanced attacks to implement and not exactly trivial. I would expect a proof of concept attack to be demonstrated at a Black Hat or DEFCON talk. Same with a Rowhammer attack, it's not trivial to implement.

For a SOHO user they should be more concerned about skids and getting ratted and such (ie. not clicking on random links or running weird exe's from untrusted sources that could have been binded with a RAT). These are way easier attack vectors and a lot lower effort.

For my IT/Computer situation, I'm doing 3 different things at once during my free time now. Playing around with *nix and Jekyll/Git, and at the same time trying to study up for a certification exam on my own time. On top of waiting for the weather to be nicer and getting back on my MTB and road bike.

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 13:11 Quote
I'm with you on that one. I'd rather be riding than raiding, but if riding is unavailable then raiding will do.

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 14:59 Quote
Just won a couple of auctions on the old fleabay.

Got a pack of 8 771 Xeon’s for £9 ($11)
An MSI 775 mobo that natively supports DDR3. £22 ($27)
16GB ECC ram £30 ($36)
A new ASRock AM3+ mAtx mobo (£33) ($40)

So hopefully going to resurrect my FX system as the main machine for now and hopefully get one of the Xeon’s running as the new server/NAS machine.

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 23:55 Quote
random question, I made a new gmail account, is it possible to transfer stuff like YT Channels I've subscribed to, Chrome bookmarks and such to it from my other account?

Posted: Jan 29, 2018 at 12:29 Quote
The ol' clickaroo is the only way I can find my friend.

Also these new security breach things like Meltdown and stuff of that nature are not the big deal they get made out to be. Yes it's a security risk but really the end user has to interact in such a way (as with most security issues) that allows it to work. If you have Windows UAC off for example you've opened up your system a fair amount. Running as administrator/root all the time does that as well. I actually don't run as admin on my computers except my gaming one which I don't care about. I create a separate account for administrator stuff. I've dodged a lot of things that way.

Posted: Jan 29, 2018 at 14:58 Quote
I actually figured out that I can set my new account as "owner" of my YT Channel...so nothing lost...and imported my bookmarks for chrome.

Posted: Jan 29, 2018 at 16:24 Quote
Neat I didn't think that would do anything.

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 2:13 Quote
Few months ago I built my first system, but I think I count that as mistake, since my priority was to buy a bike, and bought a PC instead. And now I can't find bike.
It's
MB: Asus ROG x370-f gaming
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600, clocked on 3.9 I think. Can't remember.
16GB G SKILL Trident Z RGB memory
Cryorig H7 lumi heatsink
Phanteks eclipse p400s case with tempered glass.
Samsung 960 Evo 512GB NVMe
X2 512GB Seagate HDDs (old ones, from old system)
And MSI GTX 780 gaming (dead one..)
I am using 40 inch Samsung TV for monitor. So I can have alot of space for bullshits on my screen Big Grin

Instead of saving the money for nice bike, I end up buying PC that I can't even use properly now, because of the GPU prices, and because I want to buy a bike. (Damn, I am dieing for a bike)
If that 1200 euro that I spent went for a new bike, I would be able to get some damn fine bike. But yea... Stupid me went for a PC
Mistakes were made. Now paying for them Big Grin

Posted: Mar 23, 2018 at 22:37 Quote
So, My MoBo has an M.2 Slot (E-Key) for a Wifi+BT card. I've settled on a Intel Dualband (AC) adapter Model: 3160NGW

Going this way, eliminates taking up a PCI slot...and I wanna utilize the slot on the board made for this module. My IO sheild also has holes prefit onto the MoBo for said antennas/RP-SMA connectors to screw into.

Now, I'm on the hunt for a pair of antennas for it as it doesn't come with any...and from some research it seems M.2 cards use a MHF4 connector instead of the regular WiFi connector of u.fl/IPEX...and I can't find anywhere other than China to order said antennas from that will have a RP-SMA connector on them so I can mount some proper external antennas on.....and also be relatively cheap..

Posted: Mar 24, 2018 at 3:59 Quote
It doesn't need Antennas.

Its the same as a WiFi chip in a Laptop.

Posted: Mar 24, 2018 at 11:45 Quote
If it's going to be close to your router with a good line of sight, you'll be fine without.

In other news, I spent probably two hours last night redoing all the cable management in my Node 202 build. I do love the tiny-ness of this computer, but damn do I hate any sort of maintenance on it.

Long story short, I bought an RX 580 as an upgrade from the RX 560 I previously had in my wife's build. Dropped it in and fired it up, "yay it works", and thought nothing of it until my rig would just shut off five minutes into literally any game.

Pulled it all apart, rechecked connections, put it all back together. Same deal. Out of curiosity, I physically touched the backplate and nearly burned my fingertips. Checked to see if the fans could spin freely- they had gotten tangled in some loose cabling.

Finally finished it up at like 11 last night and started testing it. Runs quiet under load and pushes 120-180 fps @ ultra in all of my games, more in eSports titles (was getting 250 if I uncapped it in Rocket League).

Posted: Mar 24, 2018 at 11:57 Quote
My router is downstairs...and my tower is under my desk, wood on each side.

Posted: Dec 26, 2018 at 12:25 Quote
Clueless with my new PC, can anyone help? Just bought a new all in one Acer Pc, it has the newer I5 processor, 8gb ram...I have not downloaded anything onto it except for adobe premier pro...

now, this computer will run premier pro seamlessly, however trying to do the most basic of things, open chrome...open a blank excel page, get into ''my documents'' it struggles with... takes such a long time to do so.

Now, we have two accounts on the computer, but nothing is active on the other account and there is more than enough space available, not using a usb or external harddrive or cloud storage, but it seems to be struggling with pulling information, any idea what can be done to improve this? we bought it so my partner can use premier pro, but i am now using it for work, and simple tasks are taking ridiculous amounts of time to be completed.

Posted: Dec 26, 2018 at 15:09 Quote
The standard hard drive in that machine is absolute wank to be honest. 5400rpm is a disgustingly slow drive for a new pc, it was considered a slow drive in the XP days. That is what’s slowing the work load down. If you can spare the cash right now look into getting an M.2 hard drive, even if it’s only low memory such as 64gb, you can use it for your commonly accessed work files and use the current hard drive as long term storage.

Aside from that drive it’s a pretty good looking machine for the price, honestly confused as to what possessed them to put that drive in, it’s like putting mechanical Tektro brakes as standard on a 2019 carbon enduro bike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009623
Mobile Version of Website