Brakeless, what to expect?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Brakeless, what to expect?
Author Message
Posted: Nov 10, 2010 at 18:18 Quote
I havent read any of the above comments, but here is my 2 cents

It is so f*cking fun, weaving through traffic brakeless, and just cruising around, is much funner brakeless. Their is an added risk which makes you pay much more attention, and I find it makes me ride better. I learned to be smooth, and to control my bike. Hell, I bet it helped my dh riding to, as I got soo much more comfortable on a bike, and at high speeds.

Posted: Nov 10, 2010 at 18:55 Quote
I started to ride brakeless since i traded my bike for another one..i think that anybody can ride brakeless..only need to pay attention on the place you ride to make sure to don't go straight in the tree's...i like to ride brakeless..no more brake maintenanceBeer

Posted: Nov 10, 2010 at 19:26 Quote
Just keep your brakes on and try stopping with your foot, if you can't do it and rely on your brakes keep them on

Posted: Nov 11, 2010 at 18:38 Quote
the only reason i asked was because frankly the bike i took the brakes off of doenst really matter to me anymore beause i got a sunday aaron ross pro, it was a mirraco black pearl 1 custom... and i wanted to feel it before, i was jsut asking for adivce so... thanks to soem and f*ck yo uto others.

Posted: Nov 11, 2010 at 19:00 Quote
my advice is ride what is most comfortable to you... i am brakeless and i have found it increases my skill....i cant rely on my brakes to slow me down or correct me so i have to compensate with better handling......

in the same sentence...at som point you WILL crash because you have no brakes....

i mean imagine if we had a "brakeless car"...dammmmn we'd be payin out the ass for insurance HAHA

Posted: Nov 12, 2010 at 0:28 Quote
When I first went brakeless I found that it wasn't that bad, and I got used to it pretty fast. Just be careful when riding, when in doubt slow down with your foot. It will help with commitment in the future but just be sure youre ready and know what youre getting into.

Posted: Nov 12, 2010 at 0:34 Quote
you can spray crc (although crc actually breaks down lube) and lube all over your bike without worrying.

Posted: Nov 15, 2010 at 13:09 Quote
i took my brakes off after 2 months i had my bmx. first few weeks were a bit scary , but then it felt much better ,its more fun and ur bike looks simplier . thats probably why i took them off, and i like the feeling that you cant just stop when ever you want , i like the adrenaline sometimes when you go really fast downhill Big Grin D but you have to be able to control your bike first ,dont take them off only because some pros dont have them, i wouldnt want to put my brakes back on, i like being brakeless,

Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 9:51 Quote
bm-esh wrote:
Cata1yst wrote:
ezekiel wrote:


Correction; you'll have to find another way to stop.

You can eventually work up to a point where you stop just as well as with a brake but you have to figure out what works best.

Actually both of you are wrong. Youll stop much better.

Trees scrub 40mph to 0 in nanoseconds. Brakeless is for cool kids, who dont wear helmets, and wear a baseball cap flipped in an odd fashion.

You cant do barspins or tailwhips AT ALL if youre sitting in a hospital bed crying your eyeballs out trying to move a toe. And i hope you like looking at your clean looking bike without its *ugly* brakes, because once you hit whatever object, the only thing youre gonna be doing with your bike is looking at it.


Dude enough with the hate on brakless, were not all downys, some of us actually know how to ride with no brakes in a safe way.
ya. dont rip through traffic at crazy stupid speeds and just be aware of your surroundings. keep the rippin around confined to an area where it's decently safe lol

Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 12:53 Quote
biker92 wrote:
bm-esh wrote:
Cata1yst wrote:


Actually both of you are wrong. Youll stop much better.

Trees scrub 40mph to 0 in nanoseconds. Brakeless is for cool kids, who dont wear helmets, and wear a baseball cap flipped in an odd fashion.

You cant do barspins or tailwhips AT ALL if youre sitting in a hospital bed crying your eyeballs out trying to move a toe. And i hope you like looking at your clean looking bike without its *ugly* brakes, because once you hit whatever object, the only thing youre gonna be doing with your bike is looking at it.


Dude enough with the hate on brakless, were not all downys, some of us actually know how to ride with no brakes in a safe way.
ya. dont rip through traffic at crazy stupid speeds and just be aware of your surroundings. keep the rippin around confined to an area where it's decently safe lol


Actually, i did rip throught traffic brakeless almost every day commuting by bike in Berkeley. Not the safest thing, i admit, but hey I'm still here. I think of it like driving a manual car; some can do it and some can't, but youll never know unless you try it. Try it at a skatepark first or a spot that has nobody there, then if you feel comfortable just go from there. If you dont, dont go brakeless. Simple as that. And yeah, i agree, stop ripping on brakeless riders. I've ridden brakeless so long that i actiually feel more comfortable riding bmx without brakes than with them. Its just a different style of riding.

Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 20:29 Quote
deffinently:Cool : i prefer brakeless over anyhtingBig Grin i hate that tinging and pinging noise that the cable housing makes when you land and it bounses off your frame. it just feels way smoother and something less to worry about on no handed tricks

Posted: Nov 19, 2010 at 1:40 Quote
biker92 wrote:
deffinently:Cool : i prefer brakeless over anyhtingBig Grin i hate that tinging and pinging noise that the cable housing makes when you land and it bounses off your frame. it just feels way smoother and something less to worry about on no handed tricks

Yeah, it improves flow too once you get used to it; without brakes you dont try to correct your speed when going for tricks.

Posted: Nov 19, 2010 at 3:00 Quote
MADMIKE23322 wrote:
I been brakeless for 12 years never have I once got hurt becuase I couldn't stop

Reminds me of the guy when i was riding the other day, he was riding the BIG set helmetless and told me the same thing (except it was, i've never brained myself)

Posted: Nov 19, 2010 at 3:54 Quote
Well i will learn to control the bike without brakes aftter few days, u wont have fear about huge speed without brakes
but get ready to buy alot of shoes every couple of months cuz you will kill them if u have long way to go home
and dont stop the bike with the foot in the back wheel like alot doings cuz the tire will get finished and your shoes to but more longer

Posted: Nov 20, 2010 at 9:05 Quote
NathanBooth wrote:
MADMIKE23322 wrote:
I been brakeless for 12 years never have I once got hurt becuase I couldn't stop

Reminds me of the guy when i was riding the other day, he was riding the BIG set helmetless and told me the same thing (except it was, i've never brained myself)

One Word: Karma.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018305
Mobile Version of Website