Witton woods, blackburn?

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Witton woods, blackburn?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 13, 2010 at 12:57 Quote
Anyone heard of/been here?
looks sick, but i hadn't heard of it till today?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBE936a8LTg

Posted: Nov 14, 2010 at 13:40 Quote
I live right next to these trails and ride them regularly.

The trail in the video is pretty much exactly as shown, a short, predominately downhill trail, has a good all weather surface and a decent drop off hidden towards the end of the trail. There's another that doesn't have as much descent and isn't as fast but has some interesting obstacles dotted along it. These two trails interlink with other natural trails/bridleways up on the hill but be careful as they are well used by walkers/horse riders.

The push up to the top of Billinge hill from Witton park is a killer but on the flip side it's a fantastic ride down when it's time to go home. The trails are better suited to shorter travel freeride bikes or hardtails as opposed to full on downhill bikes, it won't be a patch on something like Glentress but it's not a bad way to kill an afternoon if you're local.

Some more info on the trails here and here

Posted: Nov 14, 2010 at 13:48 Quote
I'm in preston, AA route planner says its 14 minutes for me to get there.
I'm probably going to go up next weekend, and yeah I'll be riding a hardtail. How long is it to the top of the ascent (s)?
And is it obvious where the trails are? or are they hidden?
thanks Big Grin

Posted: Nov 14, 2010 at 14:02 Quote
It was fully sign posted until recently, some clown keeps chopping them down!

Either park in Witton park and push up through crow wood or you can attempt to find somewhere to park on Under Billinge Lane(Google Maps) then you'll be right on the border of Billinge woods. Both trails start right at the top of the hill next to a bench and a circular concrete slab marking the top of the hill, they're pretty easy to find.

Pushing up from Witton usually takes a good 20 mins or so, I'd guess the time would be cut in half from Under Billinge Ln, but once your up there it's easy to get a good few runs in without tiring you out. The trails don't run right back to the bottom of the Hill and have a more direct route back to the top next to them rather than having to push back up the trail, hard to explain but you'll see when you get up there.

Posted: Nov 14, 2010 at 14:07 Quote
Good map of the hill here.

Posted: Nov 14, 2010 at 14:08 Quote
wicked, thanks for the info.

Posted: Nov 14, 2010 at 14:10 Quote
haha, i've been looking for local places to ride apart from rivington for ages, and i never heard about this place until i searched it yesterday, and the only reason i googled it was because i saw a tired looking muddy mountainbiker with a helmet riding through blackburn as i was in the car haha.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007048
Mobile Version of Website