Prosumer/ Pro photo Crit

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Prosumer/ Pro photo Crit
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 20, 2010 at 18:09 Quote
Was walking around downtown today and came across a demonstration about the murder of Christians in Iraq.
photo

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2010 at 14:40 Quote
Its a really awkward comp to me.

photo

Posted: Nov 22, 2010 at 15:52 Quote
Dope shot, difficult time of day to shoot. I would've shot a little later when the light was not as direct and intense so you wouldn't have had to fire your flash to strongly. Clay is overexposed. Other than that I think this would be a dope shot for a late day reshoot.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2010 at 16:25 Quote
A agree, clay is a bit overexposed, This is pretty much unedited. I have some bangers from this day but I have to sit on them so I decided to release this one.

Posted: Nov 22, 2010 at 23:35 Quote
photo

sweet shot! think this is all it needed & watch that carpet on the side, if it wasn't quite so bright I wouldn't mind it, but it leads my eye out of the shot as is.Could've just pushed your aperture up a stop or so & that would've balanced the flash a bit better with the ambient.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2010 at 0:56 Quote
ericpalmer wrote:
photo

sweet shot! think this is all it needed & watch that carpet on the side, if it wasn't quite so bright I wouldn't mind it, but it leads my eye out of the shot as is.Could've just pushed your aperture up a stop or so & that would've balanced the flash a bit better with the ambient.

Thanks Eric,

I am very impressed with the Ranger Quadra's output, that was on full power (400ws) with a 10" (25cm) reflector from about... 10ft (3.048m or so google says) at f5.6 which is a bit hot so prob more like f7.1 or f8.

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 at 1:14 Quote
yeah, that's pretty strong & quite close & think f7.1 would have it spot on & would get a bit more pop out of the sky without having to edit anything. Guessing you were shooting at 1/250th? Crazy you got detail in the sky at 1/250 & f5.6... I think our light here is so much brighter than yours, coz if I shot with those settings with the sun that high I wouldn't get any detail in the sky...

Also on shooting it later... could be cool too, & would make lighting easier, but I like to shoot all times of the day. Only having late afternoon/sunset shots gets a bit monotonous & to me with the aperture up it's a gem. I personally think that there is no bad time to shoot, only a photographer that doesn't know what to do in all light situations with the gear they have...

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 at 1:22 Quote
ericpalmer wrote:
Also on shooting it later... could be cool too, & would make lighting easier, but I like to shoot all times of the day. Only having late afternoon/sunset shots gets a bit monotonous & to me with the aperture up it's a gem. I personally think that there is no bad time to shoot, only a photographer that doesn't know what to do in all light situations with the gear they have...
+1

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2010 at 1:40 Quote
ericpalmer wrote:
yeah, that's pretty strong & quite close & think f7.1 would have it spot on & would get a bit more pop out of the sky without having to edit anything. Guessing you were shooting at 1/250th? Crazy you got detail in the sky at 1/250 & f5.6... I think our light here is so much brighter than yours, coz if I shot with those settings with the sun that high I wouldn't get any detail in the sky...

I was at 320th @ f5.6 ISO 125. the MIII's pull a hair of extra sync speed. Now that I think about it was the Quadra was more toward the 15' mark but ether I am impressed with it. I was stoked to be able to match the ambient at 1pm on a fairly clear day. As far as times to shoot, I rarely get to shoot in the golden hour, but its my job to make the best photos I can in any situation.

Posted: Nov 23, 2010 at 2:36 Quote
aah, then you can drop ur ISO to 100 & only go up to f6.3... that'll get the most out of the ranger & darken the ambient the most. Never push ur ISO up in bright light, unless you need more out of your ranger or strobe & don't want to sacrifice aperture to do so. Cool that it's so powerful, I'm doubling up my strobes a lot for day shoots at the moment, just gives me the extra juice I need. Cool you get a bit more sync out too, I can with my D200 too, but get a very thin darker strip that the flash doesn't get to, but as long as the rider isn't on that edge it's cool & yeah, I also don't often get to shoot at the golden hour/s either, makes me enjoy it more when I do.

Posted: Jan 1, 2011 at 13:12 Quote
photo
I've gotten some mixed reviews on this Confused

Anyone mind chipping in their thoughts?

Hope this thread isn't too dead lol.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022214
Mobile Version of Website