What's the Trek Session 8 like?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What's the Trek Session 8 like?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 0:58 Quote
I'm thinking of getting one, but seen as I've only demo'd one a small distance (it felt perfect for that small distance), I didn't really get much out of it.
Anyone on PB who has one who knows what they're like? Ups and downs of it?

Cheers PinkBike! Smile

Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 3:10 Quote
Jamie-K wrote:
I'm thinking of getting one, but seen as I've only demo'd one a small distance (it felt perfect for that small distance), I didn't really get much out of it.
Anyone on PB who has one who knows what they're like? Ups and downs of it?

Cheers PinkBike! Smile

I rode the 2009 one and it was brilliant. Felt stable at speed and handled everything I threw at it, I am yet to try the 2011 one....but I'm guessing I will soon.

Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 6:48 Quote
Cool! Cheers. Smile I read in Dirt 100 that it has the best geometry of any bike they've ever tested? Part of the reason I'm buying it over the DeVinci Wilson, Sracen Myst and the Scott Gambler DH-20 - other ideas I had too.

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 6:58 Quote
apparently they ride amazingly.. but on the downside they have a tendency to dent really easily also.. and by that I mean really really easily.. a rock flung up and dented my friends on his first ride.. He was very unimpressed.. so I reckon if you do buy it make sure to put some protection on your downtube

Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 7:09 Quote
norcorider121 wrote:
apparently they ride amazingly.. but on the downside they have a tendency to dent really easily also.. and by that I mean really really easily.. a rock flung up and dented my friends on his first ride.. He was very unimpressed.. so I reckon if you do buy it make sure to put some protection on your downtube

That doesn't sound like a very strong frame, then? 'Spose the integrity of the frame comes from the shape and hydro-forming and all that jazz.
It wont really bother me. She's gonna get roughed up anyway, so may as well start now.

Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 7:56 Quote
Jamie-K wrote:
norcorider121 wrote:

That doesn't sound like a very strong frame, then? 'Spose the integrity of the frame comes from the shape and hydro-forming and all that jazz.
It wont really bother me. She's gonna get roughed up anyway, so may as well start now.

that is true, they do dent really easily. This is due mainly to thickness of the metal, as its really thin in comparison to other frames to make it light

Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 8:54 Quote
stinky0469 wrote:
Jamie-K wrote:
norcorider121 wrote:

that is true, they do dent really easily. This is due mainly to thickness of the metal, as its really thin in comparison to other frames to make it light

Ahh, I see. Still, its a strong ENOUGH frame, right? Can't see it having a great rep. for a shitty frame? Although, suppose its possible.

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 9:07 Quote
It is a really light frame. About 1-2 lb lighter than Knolly, Demo, etc. So thinner tubing used. Dents easily.

Flip side is that it soars when jumping. Easy to flick around. Great geometry. Suspension works well.

Not a sturdy DH/FR bike. So if you are going to go big and huck some huge gaps to flat, not the bike to get.

Trek offers 3 years of warranty only for original owners.

Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 9:14 Quote
cableguy wrote:
It is a really light frame. About 1-2 lb lighter than Knolly, Demo, etc. So thinner tubing used. Dents easily.

Flip side is that it soars when jumping. Easy to flick around. Great geometry. Suspension works well.

Not a sturdy DH/FR bike. So if you are going to go big and huck some huge gaps to flat, not the bike to get.

Trek offers 3 years of warranty only for original owners.

I do drops, (highest about 8 feet?), long and short ramp jumps, very short, but very thick, rock garden stretches, tables... I prefer going fast and doing jumps, but it'll take those in its stride right?

A three year warranty? That's great! Big Grin I'm buying mine new, and three years will give me more then enough time to beat her to shit and send her back and have her repaired. Smile
It'll be for home use. Up on the fells (they've got some serious stretches of DH on them. Numerous rock gardens but mainly tear-assing around on rocky paths and over dips, drops and through gulleys - XC sort'a shite. Razz But its a tough XC. I've decimated my Meta doing it, so I need something tougher. Wink

Cheers, mate! Smile

Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 9:21 Quote
Got a session 88 and it's awesome. 8 is basically the same just lower spec components but still a great bike. Yes, protect the downtube if you can, but otherwise you can't go wrong with a Session, fantastic bike, super fast, super stable, chuckable in the air, active rear suspension even under braking, pedal great and just feel "right" if that makes sense.

I wouldn't change my Session for anything else other than another session. Honestly, love it to bits and a mate of mine's got one now and loves it too. They come up quite small on sizing so make sure you get a sit on one just to check sizing.

Can get a bit of noise through the frame, but if you want light weight then thinner tubing does dent and resonate slightly more. i've got two tiny dents and that's after hitting the Alps twice for about 2 weeks and riding plenty in the UK including Forest of Dean a couple of times.

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 9:23 Quote
Jamie-K wrote:
I do drops, (highest about 8 feet?), long and short ramp jumps, very short, but very thick, rock garden stretches, tables... I prefer going fast and doing jumps, but it'll take those in its stride right?

A three year warranty? That's great! Big Grin I'm buying mine new, and three years will give me more then enough time to beat her to shit and send her back and have her repaired. Smile
It'll be for home use. Up on the fells (they've got some serious stretches of DH on them. Numerous rock gardens but mainly tear-assing around on rocky paths and over dips, drops and through gulleys - XC sort'a shite. Razz But its a tough XC. I've decimated my Meta doing it, so I need something tougher. Wink

Cheers, mate! Smile

Sounds fine for what you want to do. Just don't do 8' drops to flat. Smile Have fun with it.

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 9:28 Quote
sorry if this is obvious just want to make sure you are clear... If the frame dents you do not get a replacementas this falls under wear and tear.. Maybe have a word with Muttley, He is an incredibly good rider and he can offer you a slightly different point of view on the session frame...

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 9:29 Quote
link to his profile http://muttley.pinkbike.com/

Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 13:50 Quote
Never tried one, but a wise birdy told me that they should be around the £2000 second hand mark.. and I can tell you for sure the 2011 is £500 more expensive than the 2010 one, and I can't find what makes the £500 increase (£3000-£3500)
Hope this helps in someway Salute

Posted: Nov 17, 2010 at 3:41 Quote
norcorider121 wrote:
sorry if this is obvious just want to make sure you are clear... If the frame dents you do not get a replacementas this falls under wear and tear.. Maybe have a word with Muttley, He is an incredibly good rider and he can offer you a slightly different point of view on the session frame...

Yeah, I know. Smile I meant that I'll probably break component parts so it'll be nice to have a garuntee that I can get it repaired to top condition again if that should happen.

Just a question here; are the hubs 'clicky'? I LOVE clicky hubs, but my Commencal's hub isn't at all... -_-

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011462
Mobile Version of Website