Conservative Senators overturn Climate Change Bill

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
Conservative Senators overturn Climate Change Bill
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 17, 2010 at 20:23 Quote
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/tory-senate-overturns-opposition-bill-for-first-time-on-climate-change/article1803609/

Incredibly landmark decision in Canadian politics.

This has me so pissed off. I'll explain why in a few points.

1) Canada now has NO plan on climate change. It's 2010. Every major country except like the USA and China etc... is beginning to take steps. At least with this we would have had something on the table, no more.

2) It shows a markededly un-democratic turn in Canadian politics. The Senate has only overturned a bills like twice in the last 50 years or something. And soon, because Harper is picking only loyal Conservative senators, they will have a clear majority soon, leaving out any kind of dialogue in the Upper House and giving Harper almost total control over what passes.

3) It is also Harper breaking on his campaign promises. He talked about the need for electoral representation in the Upper House, and even talked about having Canadians vote for senators, in 2006. Now he's building a super-majority which threatens our democracy. It's him finding a way for increased control despite the hostile lower house (which we as Canadians VOTED FOR).

Election now.

Posted: Nov 17, 2010 at 20:59 Quote
Well #3 is guaranteed when it comes to any politician.

I don't know the specifics of the bill but those numbers seem a tad ridiculous. To cut emissions by 80 percent is a MASSSSSSIVE undertaking, costing billions I'm sure. The fact of the matter is more eco friendly alternatives to energy as in such an infant stage that I'd agree those goals are irresponsible. I'd be curious to see the cost over the next ten years to reduce the amount of emission they wanted to.

Is it worth it. I don't think so. We can use that money on solutions that give us more gain at the moment. We should still invest in better energy technology but do I think it'd do us much good to implement it now. Nope.

Posted: Nov 17, 2010 at 22:40 Quote
gibson19 wrote:

I don't know the specifics of the bill but those numbers seem a tad ridiculous. To cut emissions by 80 percent is a MASSSSSSIVE undertaking, costing billions I'm sure. The fact of the matter is more eco friendly alternatives to energy as in such an infant stage that I'd agree those goals are irresponsible. I'd be curious to see the cost over the next ten years to reduce the amount of emission they wanted to.

Is it worth it. I don't think so. We can use that money on solutions that give us more gain at the moment. We should still invest in better energy technology but do I think it'd do us much good to implement it now. Nope.
Hitler, I believe he did basically everything he had in mind.
Not saying he's a good guy, but he stuck to his promises.

Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 19:05 Quote
Quik5ilver wrote:
gibson19 wrote:

Hitler, I believe he did basically everything he had in mind.
Not saying he's a good guy, but he stuck to his promises.
I think he may have screwed the pooch on his promise of the Thousand Year Reich and the whole Aryan Race domination bit. Aside from that, he did his best.

(This is what we have come to? Hitler is the control group for all political/moral tests?)

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 at 9:27 Quote
You guys voted him in eh. Accept your fate.

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 at 12:05 Quote
harriieee wrote:
You guys voted him in eh. Accept your fate.

We're wearing off on you.

The fact that Harper has a majority is a continual source of embarassment for me in terms of how I view my country

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 at 12:09 Quote
marty660 wrote:
The fact that Harper has a majority is a continual source of embarassment for me in terms of how I view my country
Agreed, I can't stand him.
What annoys me more is that Toronto elected Rob Ford as mayor.

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 at 12:14 Quote
Quik5ilver wrote:
marty660 wrote:
Agreed, I can't stand him.
What annoys me more is that Toronto elected Rob Ford as mayor.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.blogto.com/upload/2010/06/20100617%20Rob%20Ford.jpg
He's so elegant and sophisticated though!

Posted: Sep 30, 2011 at 15:31 Quote
If you are insulting politicians on their form and looks then you are no better then them.

Posted: Sep 30, 2011 at 16:21 Quote
mtbrider71 wrote:
If you are insulting politicians on their form and looks then you are no better then them.

All is fair when you're a public figure. And beyond that I agree with nothing that man is up to - from dismantling public transport to shutting down libraries etc...

Posted: Oct 1, 2011 at 7:05 Quote
How is that true at all? They aren't less of a person because they are running for office.

There ya go, those are actual issues!

Posted: Oct 1, 2011 at 8:42 Quote
Every camp and party runs smear campaigns against individuals, it pervades politics.

If you choose to put yourself in the public sphere, you recognise you set yourself up for attack from those who don't agree with you, fair and foul.

Posted: Oct 1, 2011 at 8:46 Quote
harriieee wrote:
Every camp and party runs smear campaigns against individuals, it pervades politics.

If you choose to put yourself in the public sphere, you recognise you set yourself up for attack from those who don't agree with you, fair and foul.

Yup. While not the classy thing to do, its political warfare and they'll do whatever it takes to smear the other side and get elected. They are leeches and scum. Neither side has your best interests in mind.

Posted: Oct 1, 2011 at 9:07 Quote
I didn't say it doesn't happen I said it wasn't the right thing to do

Posted: Oct 1, 2011 at 9:10 Quote
I'm guessing you wouldn't have such a problem with this, despite the fact that it's pathetic sensationalist scare-mongering propaganda totally divorced from reality and pandering to the illogical fears of the lowest common denominator

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c60bf53ef0120a5fd1ba6970c-500wi

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011743
Mobile Version of Website