Advice on a camera lens

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
Advice on a camera lens
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 11:21 Quote
I have a Nikon D90(Just got it) with a 18-105 standard zoom lens. Looking for advice on what lenses will work well for action/fast moving subject photography. The lens I have is pretty good takes great stills/portraits/senics etc. But from what I can tell isn't fast enough for action shots. The few I've taken of my dog running around the yard haven't turned out all that well. The backgrounds a sharp but there's significant motion blur in my pup. Any thoughts? I know there are some seriously skilled bike photographers on this site, so I'm hoping for some input. My price range is on the low side. I know lenses, Nikon specifically, are pricey so any info would be great!

THANKS!

Posted: Nov 21, 2010 at 18:44 Quote
What sort of ISO are you shooting at? Try bumping that up and seeing if you like the results before buying a new lens.

Posted: Nov 22, 2010 at 8:18 Quote
Floats wrote:
What sort of ISO are you shooting at? Try bumping that up and seeing if you like the results before buying a new lens.

I'll try that, thanks! I was also told a faster memory card would help.

Posted: Nov 22, 2010 at 12:11 Quote
FLAtransplant wrote:
Floats wrote:
What sort of ISO are you shooting at? Try bumping that up and seeing if you like the results before buying a new lens.

I'll try that, thanks! I was also told a faster memory card would help.

A faster memory card won't do anything.

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 at 16:49 Quote
Hey mate

You got your camera set on AF-C setting? With that the camera automatically adjusts focus if your subect moves.

Make sure you dont put ISO levels high. Will cause noise which is always annoying. I find that my D5000 starts to ruin photos at 1000ISO+

If you were definately looking for a new lens you should go for a f2.8 lens. Preferably a constant aperture so you get the same aperture at both ends of the zoom range

It would all depend on how much you want to spend on lenses. Nikon's own lenses are VERY high quality, however that quality comes at a premium price. There are 3rd party manufacturers like Sigma, Tokina and Tamron. All of whom make good lenses but are normally slightly lower quality then the pure Nikon one, however they are usually alot easier on the wallet!

Hope this helps

DH-BK

Posted: Jan 7, 2011 at 11:07 Quote
Hola,
I know this is an older post, but I thought I would give my advice. There are several ways you can go. Cheap, or expensive. In my opinion, the best option for your money is a Nikon 50mm 1.8. They run about $135 new, and they are fast! And they are just as sharp as any new zoom lens, if not sharper. And with a 1.8 max aperture, you can shoot in low light with a relatively fast shutter speed. But, you have to let your legs do the zooming for you. If you have more $$ to spend, you can pick up a good used 24-70 2.8 or a 70-200 2.8 for less that $1500. It all depends on your budget! Personally, I am sticking to fast primes until I can justify a good pro level zoom. It just takes a little more effort to set up the shot.
Hope that helps!

Posted: Jan 11, 2011 at 7:19 Quote
slcrockclimber wrote:
Hola,
I know this is an older post, but I thought I would give my advice. There are several ways you can go. Cheap, or expensive. In my opinion, the best option for your money is a Nikon 50mm 1.8. They run about $135 new, and they are fast! And they are just as sharp as any new zoom lens, if not sharper. And with a 1.8 max aperture, you can shoot in low light with a relatively fast shutter speed. But, you have to let your legs do the zooming for you. If you have more $$ to spend, you can pick up a good used 24-70 2.8 or a 70-200 2.8 for less that $1500. It all depends on your budget! Personally, I am sticking to fast primes until I can justify a good pro level zoom. It just takes a little more effort to set up the shot.
Hope that helps!

Thanks man! I got the Nikkor 35mm 1.8. On a DX body shoots like a 50mm. LOVE IT!! Super fast. Just waiting for our trails to defrost now. But I've used it on Hikes and it's awesome in low light. Thanks for the response!!!!

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020017
Mobile Version of Website