Fork for 100lb (all geared up) rider?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Fork for 100lb (all geared up) rider?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 28, 2010 at 16:21 Quote
Hi, i am looking for a fork for a friend that is 100 lbs all geared up. the fork currently on her bike is a POS and must be replaced. her typical riding includes mostly AM with little bits of gnar thrown in so i was thinking 140mm of travel or less. the key is she must be able to actually use the travel provided (super light rider and all) there is no real price limit so go ahead and suggest anything you can think of and or have experience with!!! thanks!

Posted: Nov 29, 2010 at 11:30 Quote
for a rider that light, look at air forks

I'd recommend the Fox 32 Float RLC QR15 140mm with Kashima coat stanchions

choose the steerer tube to suit her frame (its available in 1.125", taper and 1.5")

fantastic performing fork, the air spring will handle anything from a light weight rider, to a heavy weight rider, no problems!

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 6:12 Quote
i have a first generatioon fox air fork, and i'm still not getting everything out of it. i'm 120lbs-ish, and i have the fork with about 50psi. which seems to be the least i can put in it, and have it return. and i don't think i have ever bottomed it out (the ziptie is never 100mm from the seals)

Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 7:11 Quote
what year is first gen? 03? i run 45-50 pounds in both my 07 and 09 talas, and i weigh a wee bit over 150. I've never had a problem with the fork returning, too much rebound damping maybe?

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 7:42 Quote
the thing is, when you're this light (150 isn't light; once upon a time 15 years ago, that wasn't far from average), you need the rebound damping to stop it from topping out with a thud, or worse just not doing what the fork is meant to do..........

so yes, my rebound is slow, but it has to be.

i think it's an '02..........

i have the same issues on my 04 marathon, and my mag 21's and my XC600 back in the day, every air fork i've had, to get the pressure low enough to get any travel at all, the fork just didn't want to rebound, regardless of the damping setting.

Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 11:28 Quote
truenorthsimon wrote:
the thing is, when you're this light (150 isn't light; once upon a time 15 years ago, that wasn't far from average), you need the rebound damping to stop it from topping out with a thud, or worse just not doing what the fork is meant to do..........

i have the same issues on my 04 marathon, and my mag 21's and my XC600 back in the day, every air fork i've had, to get the pressure low enough to get any travel at all, the fork just didn't want to rebound, regardless of the damping setting.

have you tried lighter wt. oil? stock for 32's is 7.5 wt, using 5wt will speed things up, whereas the 10w i have in my 32 make it slower.

EDIT:

I also understand the point of rebound damping, but wouldn't reducing the amount of damping lower the air pressure you can run as there will be less resistance to the air pushing up? Might just be me, but the way you explain it, i don't understand why your rebound has to be slow. why not speed it up a tad and run a little less positive air pressure? it would give about the same ride, maybe a tad slower on the rebound...

I know 150 isn't 'light' by most measure, but im 150 running less air pressure than you are. Wink

Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 11:35 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.randi.org/site/images/stories/swift/fork.jpg
honey needs more junk in the trunk.

Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 11:47 Quote
have a first generatioon fox air fork, and i'm still not getting everything out of it. i'm 120lbs-ish, and i have the fork with about 50psi. which seems to be the least i can put in it, and have it return. and i don't think i have ever bottomed it out (the ziptie is never 100mm from the seals)

best tip is to speak to your local Fox service centre or authorised suspension tuning shop and ask them to rebuild the shim stack in the damper to suit your weight

well worth paying to have this done, it will allow the fork to work properly for your low weight

Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 20:24 Quote
How about a RS Reba or Revelation? Dual Air should be tunable for a light rider.

Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 20:51 Quote
what about a used RS pike?

Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 20:55 Quote
well ya but you could buy the special upgrade kit. I heard its pretty cheap at chain reaction.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 21:32 Quote
the reason my rebound HAS to be slow, is there just isn't enough weight to push the fork down, thus topping out being a MAJOR issue. i dunno if you've ever ridden a fork that tops out HARSHLY, but rigid is better.............

and don't think it's because of bike setup, i ride a custom frame, with 72/74 angles.....and it's an issue on that bike.....with a flat bar, and 120mm stem. ie. close to 50/50 weight balance.

back when i first got the fork, and had the issues of needing more air pressure than my weight dictated fox told me to break the fork in. i'm pretty sure after 8 years, it is.

all i'm saying is that it's not even just fox, but every air fork i've had, it just doesn't work with SUPER light riders. contrary to the belief that the somewhat infinite adjustablity they offer would be better for us.

Thumper925 wrote:
truenorthsimon wrote:

have you tried lighter wt. oil? stock for 32's is 7.5 wt, using 5wt will speed things up, whereas the 10w i have in my 32 make it slower.

EDIT:

I also understand the point of rebound damping, but wouldn't reducing the amount of damping lower the air pressure you can run as there will be less resistance to the air pushing up? Might just be me, but the way you explain it, i don't understand why your rebound has to be slow. why not speed it up a tad and run a little less positive air pressure? it would give about the same ride, maybe a tad slower on the rebound...

I know 150 isn't 'light' by most measure, but im 150 running less air pressure than you are. Wink

Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 21:36 Quote
so if you reduce the amount of rebound damping, it tops out. And if you reduce the air pressure, it won't return? If reducing both doesnt make a difference, you might be a candidate to have the fork pushed. This isnt your everyday fork tuning problem lol

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 22:04 Quote
exactly.............i'm ok with only getting 75% of travel, again, i'm used to this issue......i'm not going to spend money on an 8 year old fork, or a 6 year old fork.....

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012666
Mobile Version of Website