The 24" Thread

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The 24" Thread
Posted: May 18, 2017 at 8:05 Quote
jaha222 wrote:
Whats 24" like for dirt? Is it much different to 26"?

It handles tighter transitions much better and faster than 26, so much better for bmx trails.

Posted: May 18, 2017 at 16:27 Quote
SolarLonsky wrote:
Jes, I'll give you £100 if you ride a slopestyle course on a bmx
redbull dreamline comes to mind...

Posted: May 19, 2017 at 10:56 Quote
noisette wrote:
SolarLonsky wrote:

Yea okay, I accept you can ride big jumps with a bmx. These guys even ride a slope course with a bmx:

But on the bigger slope courses, that pros will say they're glad just to get to the bottom, I can't imagine anyone riding on a bmx. And it's not just the size but the courses can sometimes look a bit rough.

Posted: May 19, 2017 at 11:45 Quote
SolarLonsky wrote:
noisette wrote:
SolarLonsky wrote:

Yea okay, I accept you can ride big jumps with a bmx. These guys even ride a slope course with a bmx:

But on the bigger slope courses, that pros will say they're glad just to get to the bottom, I can't imagine anyone riding on a bmx. And it's not just the size but the courses can sometimes look a bit rough.

But they didn't hit that drop above them, i wouldn't fancy that on a bmx.

Posted: May 19, 2017 at 15:11 Quote
They say they are glad to make it top to bottom because they are doing 720's all the way down. Highland bike parks money booter was hit by my friend on a brake less BMX (check my videos). We could always just ask some pros, particularly Ryan nyquist.

Posted: May 21, 2017 at 10:55 Quote
Been out the game for a little while... dusted the bike off today and my sus forks are shot... looking to grab a set of rigids... anyone recommend any? Preferably maxle... but happy to change my wheel if needed

Cheers

Posted: May 22, 2017 at 6:13 Quote
Cheesus wrote:
Been out the game for a little while... dusted the bike off today and my sus forks are shot... looking to grab a set of rigids... anyone recommend any? Preferably maxle... but happy to change my wheel if needed

Cheers

My identiti rebate is going strong for quite some time now

Posted: Jul 10, 2017 at 23:00 Quote
milanboez wrote:
...but now im riding 20 it seems the scares of riding a BMX are mostly misconceptions. Safety wise, it makes no difference in wheel size if you go to flat. Bigger wheels don't make it any softer. Tyre width will make a difference here (BMX tyres go to 2.4" + which is wider than anything decent for 24" dirt/street). Casing wise, a bigger wheel theoretically makes it a little better, but in practice you don't really notice much of a difference even on large jumps; casing sucks either way. Stability is largely due to chainstay length, top tube as well as BB height. and BB height will always be lower on 20".

Milan, I when I mess around on a 20" for 5 minutes, it just feels like it wants to see me lying on the floor in pain. Not only is it way stiffer, (and that's the frame and the wheels, there's just no give anywhere), but the steering is to responsive that if you make any mistakes, it's going to throw you on the floor. You mention BB height, but BB height doesn't matter much. What matters is BB rise or drop, and BMXs tend to have more rise. This makes them more flickable but also more unstable. If you think about it, if the BB is lower than the hubs, the bike will tend to stabilise if you put weight on the pedals compared to if it's higher.

Posted: Jul 11, 2017 at 13:09 Quote
DarrellW wrote:
milanboez wrote:
...but now im riding 20 it seems the scares of riding a BMX are mostly misconceptions. Safety wise, it makes no difference in wheel size if you go to flat. Bigger wheels don't make it any softer. Tyre width will make a difference here (BMX tyres go to 2.4" + which is wider than anything decent for 24" dirt/street). Casing wise, a bigger wheel theoretically makes it a little better, but in practice you don't really notice much of a difference even on large jumps; casing sucks either way. Stability is largely due to chainstay length, top tube as well as BB height. and BB height will always be lower on 20".

Milan, I when I mess around on a 20" for 5 minutes, it just feels like it wants to see me lying on the floor in pain. Not only is it way stiffer, (and that's the frame and the wheels, there's just no give anywhere), but the steering is to responsive that if you make any mistakes, it's going to throw you on the floor. You mention BB height, but BB height doesn't matter much. What matters is BB rise or drop, and BMXs tend to have more rise. This makes them more flickable but also more unstable. If you think about it, if the BB is lower than the hubs, the bike will tend to stabilise if you put weight on the pedals compared to if it's higher.
for someone coming from the land where the rise of a bb is specified from the floor you sure are uninformed

Posted: Jul 11, 2017 at 13:19 Quote
Specifying from the floor makes no sense. What tyres are they using for that measurement? Rise or drop make sense (but if the frame and fork aren't sold together, only if an A2C is specified). So what is it I said that you disagree with?

Posted: Jul 11, 2017 at 14:29 Quote
That specifying the height of the bb is not uncommon

Posted: Jul 12, 2017 at 9:57 Quote
jespinal wrote:
That specifying the height of the bb is not uncommon
Except that I didn't say that. Also, I'm not sure which country you think I'm from, but I don't know that many Irish bike manufacturers, and certainly not enough to think how BB height is generally specified here.

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 at 9:59 Quote
Anybody recognise this bike ?
I have a photo of it on my pc but can't find the original source online anywhere, was trying to find a better quality photo and specs etc.

Can't decide what the frame is, Cap or NS etc ???

photo

Posted: Jan 2, 2018 at 19:23 Quote
Whats up guys, anyone still ridin on 24s? Haven't ridden my capital since december 2013, so its been a few years; thinking about getting back into it. Gonna dust it off and bring it out of storage, and hit the skate park come spring time. Below is a photo of its final iteration.

Seems like PB has slowed down a lot. All of the old threads for street and DJ have pretty much died out. Anyone left riding, or has the street scene pretty much died out in all your cities?

Capital 2012

Posted: Jan 2, 2018 at 23:24 Quote
Still alive and kicking... Just got a NS24" capital and ride it regularly...Such a great felling / forgiving bike compared to 20" bmx.. Nice build by the way...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.040341
Mobile Version of Website