The 24" Thread

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The 24" Thread
Posted: Nov 8, 2020 at 10:43 Quote
Babyjworks wrote:
core-macneil-rider wrote:
so planning a 24 build cause im short and 26's just dont work for me. looking for suggestions on a fork.

wanna get both a suspension fork and a rigid fork but having trouble finding a fork option that can be lowered below 100mm of travel.

build idea so far

mutant bikes imperador 24 frame, or custom. was thinking the newer 831 but doesnt really work unless i go custom.
g sport ratchet rear cassette hub laced to a 24 inch hazard lite or revenge industries rim and a freenight planetary coaster as a coaster wheel same rear rim as the cassette wheel. spank front rim have decided on a hub yet maybe profile. random bmx headset and bb. probably animal cranks arms with a profile ti spindle. tree sprocket. probably some ns bars or similar. something in a bmx stem diameter and with a bunch of rise. random bmx stem i have laying around or grab an ns stem to match. frame comes with a post gonna throw my duo rogue status seat on it or an aitken junior.

once i get the suspension dialed in where i like it gonna grab a rigid fork for some peg fun with a front wheel for that. probs another haz lite or revenge rim for more spokes.

gonna be running a 990 rear brake as well. odyssey lever snafu gyro, shadow bolt on guides. probably kink brakes. shortest m2 upper cable should work nicely with 3 to 3.5 inch tall bars.

for tires i recently found out you can still get intense micro knobbies in good sizes odyssey also makes the path pro 24 tire. and S&M has a few 24 choices. so should be good there for awhile.

kinda just stuck on the fork and dont wanna pick a front hub till i get the fork situated. but maybe the dartmoor revolt discless hub since it comes in a 36 spoke. dont wanna deal with adapters though hubs gonna match the axle.

Hazard lites rock. You'll never hurt them. Maybe a lighter front rim though. I wish I did

eh i had a rim that was like a better version of a hazlite in 7000 series aluminium on my one bmx and still managed to mangle it. good rim but not as indestructible as people say. and 7ka's break too which is odysseys basically 7000 series version. they just have an awesome strength to weight ratio.

Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 14:17 Quote
cheezitsprocket wrote:
i run the identiti rebate xl its kindof like an 80mm susp fork, i run it with pegs... on a bmx front hub (bsd)

i like my odyssey tires, wouldnt mind seeing what s/m has though..... and why not just get hazard rims front and back?

also if you want more rise why not run a bmx topload?

2 cents
suspension forks plus rigid. lol how many mtb hubs come in 36 hole? not many and i dont feel like limiting my choices or dealing with a heavier then necessary front wheel when running a suspension fork set up.

No good mtb hubs come in 36. that is why I ended up with 24'' spank rims on my bike. Then finding a nice 32h brakeless front hub was tough. I was lucky to find a profile high flange hub

Posted: Nov 9, 2020 at 14:29 Quote
Go profile hubs. You can convert them to just about anything

Posted: Nov 11, 2020 at 14:01 Quote
Doogster wrote:
cheezitsprocket wrote:
i run the identiti rebate xl its kindof like an 80mm susp fork, i run it with pegs... on a bmx front hub (bsd)

i like my odyssey tires, wouldnt mind seeing what s/m has though..... and why not just get hazard rims front and back?

also if you want more rise why not run a bmx topload?

2 cents
suspension forks plus rigid. lol how many mtb hubs come in 36 hole? not many and i dont feel like limiting my choices or dealing with a heavier then necessary front wheel when running a suspension fork set up.

No good mtb hubs come in 36. that is why I ended up with 24'' spank rims on my bike. Then finding a nice 32h brakeless front hub was tough. I was lucky to find a profile high flange hub
yeah thinking i may just go profile front hub too.

depending on what the rigid fork set up ends up as may just get a 36 spoke bmx style wheel up front as well with haz lites. but kinda wanted to get something where i can use the same front wheel. kinda liking the previous dudes fork suggestion now that i looked at it. at least for a rigid. uses 14mm or 20mm front axle.

if i do end up with a bmx specific front fork and wheel set up i can just reuse my marmoset and build it on a 24 inch hazlite. balance front to back shouldnt be too bad then. but on suspension bleh hubs and extra weight make it a pain. dartmoor mutant bikes and i think like one other company or special order profile are the only options for good hubs and idk how the mutant bikes or dartmoor hubs would be. plus also tryna get the build stupid light like sub 25 by the time im done with suspension and a good bit lighter rigid.

that said i now have a second rear coaster hub choice. bsd revolution or the freenight planetary OG version of the hub. hopefully color choices other then black are now an option for this build in something. and probably gonna start with the S&M tire in the rear and find something knobbier in the front. 2.10 rear is wide enough for me. may get stuck with that or a microknobby up front. wanna see if i can hit some people i know who have connects to S&M to see if its be possible to get them to do 24 inch versions of the dirt tire in a wide front tire version. 2.3 front with a 2.1 of the track tire would be a dialed all around 24 set up and fix problems for alot of people on 24's.

Posted: Nov 11, 2020 at 14:39 Quote
You want a z coaster or gulf coaster. I have been mashing on my madera gulf coaster and i tis amazing.

Posted: Nov 11, 2020 at 15:42 Quote
Doogster wrote:
You want a z coaster or gulf coaster. I have been mashing on my madera gulf coaster and i tis amazing.
z coaster is expensive. gulf clone is heavy.

freenight coaster is sub 16 ounces with chromo hardware. aka an ounce lighter then a all titanium z coaster and like half a grand cheaper. no slack forwards infinite slack fakie. i know hubs arent really rotational weight in the same sense as components further out on the wheels like rims and tires but lighter wheels still feel nice and help keep over all weight low. plus in the rear laced to a 24 haz lite with a folding S&M tire and butted spokes my rear wheel should be dirty light and fairly bomb proof. 19-20 ounces on the tire like about the same on the rim. bit of weight savings on the spokes but also extra strength where theyll get rubbed out from grinds. tubolito to combat shitty tire choices. alloy nipples.

but for a chromo to chromo comparison. 4 ounces roughly from the freenight to the z coaster. 8 or 9 for a gulf. and 240$ for the freenight 360 for a chromo z coaster.

i can also shemale mod the freenight cheaply. am planning to have ti bits priced for it down the line custom. but chromo to chromo makes up for a peg or a peg and a guard. and the price difference covers a bolt for the shemale mod a set of alloy axle nuts a peg and a guard. and if i do get a custom or modded ti driver and axle for the planetary hub its likely to sit around the same weight (a tad heavier) as a full titanium profile mini bmx hub in the female set up.

check it out

https://www.freenightbmx.com/
this is also likely whats going to end up replacing the khe style coaster unless profile licenses out their design to people. sucks it only comes in black and i dont feel like re anodizing hubs again. bsd's new hub is a clone of this so weight should be similar. but potentially better color options.

plus after frame and suspension fork bb and headset. i got like less then 15 pounds to do everything else. and my cranks before ti spindle take up almost 2 pounds. gyro so a pound minimum.

brakeless and rigid without pegs im planning to sit around 19-20 pounds flat or less. add a pound for 3 pegs. a pound for brakes. and about 2-2.5 for suspension over rigid. 4.4 something pounds on a 831 and 5.4 on the frame. ceramic headset and bottom bracket.

but yeah that hubs been decided for awhile. also going on my bmx as the coaster wheel.

Posted: Nov 15, 2020 at 16:52 Quote
I have a z coaster currently but am tempted to offer it up for sale and replace it with the new bsd/freenight hub. It's all titanium. It's a different experience coming from 8 years on a khe style freecoaster before hand. My bike is 23 without brakes but I could lighten it up a bit more if I wanted to burn more money

Posted: Nov 15, 2020 at 17:15 Quote
Babyjworks wrote:
I have a z coaster currently but am tempted to offer it up for sale and replace it with the new bsd/freenight hub. It's all titanium. It's a different experience coming from 8 years on a khe style freecoaster before hand. My bike is 23 without brakes but I could lighten it up a bit more if I wanted to burn more money

freenight coaster saves you an ounce just on the stock hub to your all titanium z coaster. alloy axle nuts over the chromo ones or a shemale mod would get it even lighter. custom ti axle isnt too expensive either. little more then a profile axle. driver shemale or female modded with a ti center axle and ti bolts plus a ti or alloy driver and the sub should be sub 13 ounces as a freecoaster.

only other way to get sub 13 on a coaster is the ezra hub, proper manga lite female axle kit salt chromo driver and a hybrid ceramic bearing kit. and then it sits a tad over 12 ounces with the right female bolts. but im gladly giving up the ounce maybe 2 or 3 if i got a custom ti driver on the ezra for 14mm axle and a better designed hub.

still need a z coaster in hand before i can be 100% sure but i think i may be able to modify the z coaster to 14mm female axle setup and drop its weight a tad while keeping a steel center axle and bolts. ti center axle would deffs drop its weight a tad. and if i can 14mm female mod one tree alloy bolts because an easy non peg riding option to drop a bunch of weight on the hub.

freenight is fairly solid from the impressions ive got from like 6 different people who bought them. the dude who had the first one in canada still seems stoked on it. but depending on if youre willing to do some custom bits on the freenight or bsd, and depending on the condition of your profile you could cover the cost of the swap and at least the ti axle custom. driver still need to figure out how much thats gonna cost but 7075 would drop the price alot. and save more weight.

freenight is closer to a traditional coaster though. only reason im half tempted to go z coaster is the cassette mode and hub color options. and i could rip it apart to see if a female 14mm axle mod is possible.

Posted: Nov 16, 2020 at 3:50 Quote
IMO, durability over weight saving. ive gone thru every light component i wanted, and once you ride hard, youd be way better off not having shit sheer off and causing damage, costing time money and costing you a session.

i do want that new freecoaster though, lighter and more durable, sounds badass. i have one freecoaster from demolition that keeps demolishing its self - just driver bearings actually. but my odyssey clutch v2 coaster has a badass driver bearing im a huge fan of... some say the plastic internals self destruct but not in my experience thus far.

Posted: Nov 16, 2020 at 4:08 Quote
Look into Halo hubs. Not sure about current availability an imports but, they had a DJ hub the wide boy that was 20mm an 36spk, they have plenty of adapters for different forks. Like the rebate fork, it comes in a few different drop out options.
P.S Halo,Gusset an Identity are owned by the same company Ison Distro

So I think you could get a 20mm 36spk wideboy hub and a 20mm rebate fork to swap with whatever DJ suss fork you end up with

Posted: Nov 16, 2020 at 5:09 Quote
The plastic internals do self destruct I had to make a franken hub out of my mate's coasters he had 2 different v2's that shat the bed in different manners

Posted: Nov 16, 2020 at 17:33 Quote
A feature of the z coaster everyone forgets is that it is a profile mini if you want it to be. When I go to the dirt jumps I pull out the slack adjustment piece on the z coaster and have a regular cassette. That alone is what sold me on getting it instead of building a second wheel with a cassette to match my stranger coasterasaurus wheel. Just something you should keep in mind

Posted: Nov 16, 2020 at 18:15 Quote
cheezitsprocket wrote:
IMO, durability over weight saving. ive gone thru every light component i wanted, and once you ride hard, youd be way better off not having shit sheer off and causing damage, costing time money and costing you a session.

i do want that new freecoaster though, lighter and more durable, sounds badass. i have one freecoaster from demolition that keeps demolishing its self - just driver bearings actually. but my odyssey clutch v2 coaster has a badass driver bearing im a huge fan of... some say the plastic internals self destruct but not in my experience thus far.

id rather have awesome strength to weight ratios. obviously nobody wants their bike braking allthe time but if you can shed some weight without it happening why not.

on my first custom build i bought a wheelset off someone connected to tenpack distrobution and macniel bikes at the time and ended up with a macniel graffiti hub in the front that hub a hollow 3/8ths race axle. surprisingly took me forever to break it, wouldnt run another one but a ti 14mm rear axle is probably strong enough for me. if you are going custom anyways on the hub like i am you can also always see if bearings exist to swap it over to a thicker center axle and 14mm female mod it. not every hub can have this done but some can. and a ti center axle is strong.

in fact a ti center axle was a weight INCREASING upgrade on the g sport ratchet hub as it comes with an aluminium center axle. steel was the cheaper bomb proof upgrade but ti was kinda overkill already.

personally id suggest the freenight from what ive heard and my homie blows shit up and has one. cant test it cause hes across the pond but yeah he blows shit up. ezra modded coaster is still lighter but sucks for anything but flatland z coaster is just expensive and heavier. however also seems like a bomb proof option.

i do have to worry about weight more then most now however. my spine is disintegrating my left shoulder is blown and my right arm is going too. auto immune disease. but weight makes a huge difference on being able to continue riding somewhat for me. i obviously have to quit at some point but if i can drop the weight of my bike i can still do some bangers. managed to 180 bar my buddies bike thats around 19.8 pounds. brakeless was weird but meh i used to ride brakeless once in awhile and if i can get a bike with a geo more suited to me around the same weight and have a brake certain shit will be mad easy or just doable. planning a sub 16 pound bmx bike, actually plan is to beat ricky veronick on production and semi production parts with mod parts custom, then custom frake fork and bars, tapered headtube and steer ti frame and oversized 25.4mm ti bars. that said after i set it up as the lightest itll be gaining some weight right away. steel pegs over alloy an extra peg over scale shot, heavier tires, and an animal kush seat. also planning to increase the weight of the ti frame fork and bars over the eastern ti reaper ti tranny bars and ti laird fork stock. frame is probably gonna end up over 3 pounds in titanium.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 5:18 Quote
jespinal wrote:
The plastic internals do self destruct I had to make a franken hub out of my mate's coasters he had 2 different v2's that shat the bed in different manners

assuming one manner was the plastic stuff.. whats the second issue?

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 7:54 Quote
cheezitsprocket wrote:
jespinal wrote:

assuming one manner was the plastic stuff.. whats the second issue?
one of the hard pressed washers that retain the slack adjusment in place was snapped in half

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014851
Mobile Version of Website