XC Platform Pedals

• Next Page
Posted: Dec 11, 2010 at 20:11 Quote
The X-Fusion has been working really well. Thought I was going to get rid of it right away, no complaints after a 1+ year.
As for the Pike, I cannot really compair it to a Fox fork because I have never owned one or spent more than acouple miles riding on, but the Pike is working well for me also.

Posted: Dec 11, 2010 at 20:19 Quote
Good to hear. I was looking at getting a bike with a x-fusion on it (can't remember what it was) but it honestly just looked low quality, I don't think it was the same model as yours however.

Posted: Dec 13, 2010 at 4:23 Quote
Only bike that you own which should have flats is your DJ bike. Get rid of the flats on your road bike and the XC bike, you should be riding with spd's (clipless) for best performance. Get yourself some good shoes then a good set of pedals, you would be amazed at the difference in your rides.

Posted: Dec 13, 2010 at 7:37 Quote
Only bike that you own which should have flats is your DJ bike. Get rid of the flats on your road bike and the XC bike, you should be riding with spd's (clipless) for best performance. Get yourself some good shoes then a good set of pedals, you would be amazed at the difference in your rides.

its not that simple - its really down to personal preference and riding style, amongst other things

I spent the first 4 months of this year using SPD's on my all-mountain (devinci hectik) and came to hate my riding

I've used SPD's since they first came out in the early 1990s so I am no stranger to clipless pedal systems, or flat pedals which I have been using the early 1980s when I got into BMX in a big way

I found the SPD's ruined my riding style, and made me hold back on slippery technical sections, and adopt a less aggressive riding style instead of stomping the climbs I was dropping down some gears and sitting and spinning

the biggest issue for me is the lack of "body english" you can use on clipless, and the lack of "feel" you get when clipped into the pedals, with flatties you can move around and really control the bike properly

if you actually video your feet on flat pedals with a helmet cam (mounting on the seat post looking down at the cranks) you'd be surprised just how much you move your feet move around on flat pedals, as you make subtle adjustments to control the bike over rough ground

since putting the flatties back on, I've really enjoyed my riding, am going faster up the climbs and much faster down the technical section especially in the mud and snow we are currently enjoying in the UK

flat pedals with 5-10 super tacky shoes can equal clipless for power efficiency in my humble opinion, a good flat pedal rider will be spinning circles anyhow which is just good technique Wink

Posted: Dec 13, 2010 at 7:45 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:

its not that simple - its really down to personal preference and riding style, amongst other things

I spent the first 4 months of this year using SPD's on my all-mountain (devinci hectik) and came to hate my riding

I've used SPD's since they first came out in the early 1990s so I am no stranger to clipless pedal systems, or flat pedals which I have been using the early 1980s when I got into BMX in a big way

I found the SPD's ruined my riding style, and made me hold back on slippery technical sections, and adopt a less aggressive riding style instead of stomping the climbs I was dropping down some gears and sitting and spinning

the biggest issue for me is the lack of "body english" you can use on clipless, and the lack of "feel" you get when clipped into the pedals, with flatties you can move around and really control the bike properly

if you actually video your feet on flat pedals with a helmet cam (mounting on the seat post looking down at the cranks) you'd be surprised just how much you move your feet move around on flat pedals, as you make subtle adjustments to control the bike over rough ground

since putting the flatties back on, I've really enjoyed my riding, am going faster up the climbs and much faster down the technical section especially in the mud and snow we are currently enjoying in the UK

flat pedals with 5-10 super tacky shoes can equal clipless for power efficiency in my humble opinion, a good flat pedal rider will be spinning circles anyhow which is just good technique Wink

Movement on pedals, that's the main reason spd's work out better for less movement on the pedals. On the DH at 46 years old I had my best year ever riding this year since I started 30 odd years ago in my teens. Even had a few riding buddies 15-20 years younger wonder what happened. Dry, wet, slick or muddy we went just as fast and sometimes faster in the wet on spd. You are right it does remain a personal choice but theirs no reason to need repositioning your feet due to different terrain. Theirs also a reason why you can now get 5-10's with spd mounts. Wink

For XC, I can guarantee you that if you take two guys both on flats to go uphill and do one run up, then take one guy on flats then spd pedals you will have one person left very far behind on that climb and it will be on flat pedals. XC racers, none ride flats. besides, that test has been done over and over again.

DJ and BMX is a completely different style and should not be mixed in with other disciplines.

Posted: Dec 16, 2010 at 22:04 Quote
Rigaud wrote:

what about those of us who ride AM, FR and agressive trails? sometimes all in the ride?

person preference but platforms for me, even on my commuter.

there's more going on than being attached to the pedal. clipless enforces proper positioning for power transfer plus there’s the reinforced stiff sole in the shoe, the solid steel on steel contact (no rubber to compress), your foot is closer to the pedals centre / axis of rotation, and zero deflection from position as result of terrain impacts, this all contributes to better power, that’s why XC racers and roadies go clipless as power transfer is the priority. Anyone who says you benefit from 'pulling' is misguided and I challenge them to find the scientific peer reviewed and published argument for this ‘pulling’ business. If you seriously look into it you’ll be surprised.

You can go some way with platforms to replicate some of these benefits to get a comparable power transfer and secure positioning. sure not 100% equal but power transfer isnt always the priority.

for me optium power transfer isnt everything and I agree, I need the ability to reposition the contact point while riding. Like grinding up a hill i use the ball of my foot, same as how cleats position the foot for power. but taking a drop over 3-4ft or anything where you transfer a motherload of force into the bike, i change it as i find the ball gives the impact force too much leverage on the ankle ie - your heel drops below the pedal which then drives your toes up and backward towards your shin.... so I’ll briefly ride closer to the meaty centre of the foot. Same with railing corners, log rides, manualing, bunny hops, low-speed steap off camber rock gardens - slight adjustments going on all the time.

if you find that you do better with cleats and the set up suits your needs thats great, but i'm sure i'm not the only platform rider who’s just a bit over the whole clipless “holier than tho” story...

Posted: Dec 16, 2010 at 23:15 Quote
Great explanation mate. I was wondering with the steel on steel contact what happens with rubber soles or is it solely through the cleat?

I completely agree with the re-positioning of the foot on drops etc, it probably isn't correct technique but I find it more comfortable and with more control and speed.

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 at 6:36 Quote

sorry if my explanation was somewhat vague

what I mean is not my feet lifting "off" the pedals, but my feet moving across the pedals as I use the flat pedals to put "body english" into my bike

very subtle adjustments to keep the bike balanced as I shift my body weight around

you cannot do this with clipless pedals as you are locked to the pedal, which I why I don't enjoy riding in them anymore, clipless makes my mountain bike feel like a road bike Frown

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 at 7:16 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:

what I mean is not my feet lifting "off" the pedals, but my feet moving across the pedals as I use the flat pedals to put "body english" into my bike

very subtle adjustments to keep the bike balanced as I shift my body weight around

you cannot do this with clipless pedals as you are locked to the pedal, which I why I don't enjoy riding in them anymore, clipless makes my mountain bike feel like a road bike Frown
See, I feel the opposite and on singletracks with either AM or DH I love the spd's, I take 90-180deg turns lifting the rear wheel easy. But hey, it's not for everyone and you have to have confidence on your feet otherwise your not enjoying your ride. Biking is to have fun after all. Smile

Posted: Dec 25, 2010 at 3:32 Quote
Rigaud wrote:
hampsteadbandit wrote:

See, I feel the opposite and on singletracks with either AM or DH I love the spd's, I take 90-180deg turns lifting the rear wheel easy. But hey, it's not for everyone and you have to have confidence on your feet otherwise your not enjoying your ride. Biking is to have fun after all. Smile
hi this forum is asking for FLAT PEDALS, not if spd's are better.
i reccomend trying dmr v8's or v12's

Posted: Dec 30, 2010 at 16:14 Quote
My Wellgo B124's arrived!

A little slow on delivery but as I expected around X-mas time so no biggies.

They are fantastic! I've only been wearing thongs with them and my foot hasn't slipped once!

5/5 recommend to everyone!

Posted: Dec 31, 2010 at 10:02 Quote
these feel really nice (under foot) - very large platform and very thin too...

photo

Posted: Jan 2, 2011 at 10:04 Quote
epic09 wrote:

They are fantastic! I've only been wearing thongs with them and my foot hasn't slipped once!

I also want to buy those pedals but i have one question for you
- whats the thickness of those pedals??

thx!! ;p

Posted: Jan 2, 2011 at 10:33 Quote
xavier844 wrote:
epic09 wrote:

I also want to buy those pedals but i have one question for you
- whats the thickness of those pedals??

thx!! ;p
25.7mm is the size given on CRC

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011983
Mobile Version of Website