15$ to the best answer

PB Forum :: Downhill
15$ to the best answer
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 11, 2010 at 15:10 Quote
Hey Guys I'm traveling outside us and I am going to take my bike with me, I need to pack it, the airline allow us to carry bikes just if we can put it in a box of 62 linear inches ( length + width + depth = 62 inches), my bike is a Jamis kromo, how can I dissemble so it will fit in those dimensions?, the best answer will have 15 bucks, paypal only!, I will reply to the winner in this forum and send him a message asking for the email. thanks guys

Posted: Dec 11, 2010 at 15:12 Quote
Views: 67,608    Faves: 508    Comments: 78
like that

O+
Posted: Dec 11, 2010 at 17:22 Quote
leon-forfar wrote:
Views: 67,608    Faves: 508    Comments: 78
like that
now he has to research to find out the paypal of the guy in the video....lol. Great vid!

Posted: Dec 11, 2010 at 17:47 Quote
mitch chubey, he has a pb account. haha

Posted: Dec 11, 2010 at 17:52 Quote
That's really useful actually, shouldn't have anymore troubles getting bikes on the train with their limited space for bikes.

Posted: Dec 12, 2010 at 17:28 Quote
find an equation for the relation between the L W and H
and use calculus to find the max width for example and find the other 2 variables accordingly
Big Grin

Posted: Dec 22, 2010 at 18:28 Quote
leon-forfar this guy won, for those who say I'm a scammer....

Posted: Dec 22, 2010 at 22:05 Quote
maybe not as good as the video, but in case there is another scenario, where you have a destination address and extra luggage like clothes and gear. i do this in Canada every year twice. this way i am not worrying, and carrying heavy things through the airport.

just fit all the clothes in with your bike as padding. fit your gear in as well. Canada post has a rule like the 62 inches but its in metric so i think it was something like 300 centimeters. i found a regular bike box made this measurement fine with extra centimeters to spare!

use multiple layers of tape on the edges and maybe use a wall or someone to help squeeze the bike box shut. make sure to fill every corner with socks and t-shirts, and keep greasy parts and shampoo inside of thick baggies. like glad freezer bags. put them in the safe areas of the box like in the swing arm of the bike or the main triangle. if every space is taken up by your stuff, the bike will not be able to gain momentum inside the box, making it harder for him to escape! use old jeans or extra cardboard around areas like fork legs, bottom bracket/crank arms, dropouts and stem/seat post.

make sure to have an extra bike box. cut this box on a few of the seams and use it as a second layer for the original box. tape this box using plenty of tape. to be specific, i used 100 meters of tape on the last one. i just went around like a spider with a fresh insect. this second box i make sure to do inside out unless it is blank, that way it is nice and plain. easy to write "careful with my baby" or "fragile" or the address and whatnot.

and make sure to let some air out of the tires. i don't know how much, I'm not a scientist, but it would suck to have your bike arrive with blown out tires because it went into outer space and the pressure difference f*cked up your shit. so just as a precaution i would give that a whirl.

i usually do this and get on the airplane with my i pod and helmet in a helmet bag. skip all the oversize lines, and checked luggage and its super nice.

it costs me 60 dollars to do this one way from van to toronto-ish.

once, i disassembled my whole bmx, and then put it into a duffel bag, with an empty backpack inside, then got off the plane, put it together inside the terminal, put the duffel bag in the backpack, and rode out. rode inside a bit too. its super smooth. cost was free.

Posted: Dec 22, 2010 at 23:33 Quote
iLoVeBiKeS420 wrote:
bmx is gay no one cares
no one cares of your opinion

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 at 3:07 Quote
TSA and bag handlers are DICK HEADS!

So you need to take some counter dick heads measures.

The safest way for you bike is to be put in an hardshell traveling box and to zip tie EVERYTHING. TSA open you bags and have the bad habits to THROW everything back inside. The bad handler will put your frame wherever they want (maybe under some heavy shits) even if you put red fragile sticker all over.

If you do not have a an hardshell box, get a cardboard one that you must reinforce with tape. leave the rear wheel on (so your drop out will have some kind of support but remove the derailleur and rotors. remove your handlebar and zip tie it to your frame. remove the fork and wrap the stanchion to protect them. remove the front wheel and pedals. Zip tie your cranks so they don't move.

Remember this, traveling is becoming an epic journey so take precautions and always be prepared for the worst!

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 at 3:11 Quote
Where are you going? Check with UPS how much would it be. I've learn that it is better to pay UPS $100 to ship INSURED your bike to your hotel as they will take responsibility if they mess it up. Airplane company will give you petty change if they loose your bike and NOTHING if they damage it.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013905
Mobile Version of Website