Shimano FC-M542 Crankset

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shimano FC-M542 Crankset
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 21, 2010 at 16:56 Quote
G'day, I was just wondering if a Shimano FC-M542 crankset is compatible with a standard BB mount chain guide. I was looking at the tech docs from Shimano (http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FC/EV-FC-M542-2681A_v1_m56577569830708779.pdf) and it had both a threaded LH and RH adapter (Right Hand Adapter (B.C.1.37" x 24T) English Thread) so I was thinking it should work but yeah just looking for some clarification.

Cheers

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 at 19:23 Quote
If you are talking about a chain guide that is held on by the bottom bracket cups (called 'adapters' in that tech doc), then it will work.

The chain device replaces one of the spacers (part no. 8 - three of 'em in that tech doc), so if you have a 68mm shell then it is one spacer each side, if it is 73mm then there are no spacers either side.

According to Phil at E13 (username philw86), make sure there is no grease on the face of the BB shell, the spacer (if used) or the chainguide mount. This will stop the chain guide from moving when you smack it into a rock.

I must say that if you are putting a DH chain guide on a DH bike, then perhaps a Deore crankset is not up to the task. I know Saint is expensive, but SLX is very strong too. You may save money in the long run if you save a bit more for SLX or Saint cranks.

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 at 19:40 Quote
Thanks mate, very informative!

Nah its for my XC bike looking at a 1x9 setup and by the sounds of it a chain guide should do fine, I was looking at a Widgit.

Merry X-Mas!

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 at 19:48 Quote
Now I'm confused - a Widget bolts directly onto the crankarms. Are you going to run a chain tensioner along with the widget?

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 at 20:03 Quote
No no no. I thought that it was a press fit BB so I was looking at the widgit because I didn't think a chain guide would be possibly as it obviously has no ISCG mounts and the seat tube is a strange shape so I wasn't sure about a clamp getting a good grip on it.

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 at 20:08 Quote
You have totally lost me.

Let's take this to PM.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007507
Mobile Version of Website