Go pro vs. Contour

PB Forum :: Downhill
Go pro vs. Contour
Posted: Dec 28, 2011 at 8:29 Quote
Has anyone personally used a Drift? I'm quite interested now.

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 at 12:42 Quote
Mtnrider001 wrote:
Straner wrote:
Contour + has many more advantages. Live streaming! External audio jack, rotating lens 270° You get what you pay for in the $200 difference

The GoPro 2 also has an external audio jack ... so does the new Drift. Have you compared the features of the competition? The new drift also has a LCD screen and rotating screen, why isn't anyone arguing for that?. The new GoPro remote will allow live streaming ... and remote control of up to 50 cameras.

But seriously, do you think that a rotating lens and the ability to live stream out of the box is worth $200? I'm not a psychiatrist but I'm detecting denial. Either that or you work for Contour and are held under contract to support it till death do you part

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.racerecall.com/myfiles/drift-HD-Size-comparison.jpg
photo

I admit it looks like a toaster ... but I do love that little toaster
first of all why would you want all that extra wind audio? and the audio on the contour is great. and i got my contour for 150$ if you are smart you can find deals and not have to pay full retail

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 at 13:00 Quote
All the internal mics from these cams (GoPro, Contour, Drift) produce shit sound to be honest. So I do think its a tie there. The new HD Hero2 and Contour Plus allow external mics. As soon as I can find the damn lav mic I bought and immediately lost then I'll test it.

Strainer - here's video from the Drift HD. I wrote up something for mtbr but to be perfectly honest I wasn't terribly excited about it because it had by far the shittiest mounts in class

Posted: Dec 28, 2011 at 19:50 Quote
leelau wrote:
All the internal mics from these cams (GoPro, Contour, Drift) produce shit sound to be honest. So I do think its a tie there. The new HD Hero2 and Contour Plus allow external mics. As soon as I can find the damn lav mic I bought and immediately lost then I'll test it.

Strainer - here's video from the Drift HD. I wrote up something for mtbr but to be perfectly honest I wasn't terribly excited about it because it had by far the shittiest mounts in class

Yeah I agree, the internal mics are horrible but thats the nature of the game, its more the video most are after. Heard of a few people who wanted to use a small camera mounted to their guitar to catch the vibration of the strings, makes a cool video but the sound was horrible ... and they used audio recorders and then combined the audio with the video in editing. Having an external mic jack cuts out that hassle.

The mounts for the drift were pretty horrible, but it also has a direct mount threaded bolt like a regular camera. Not so bad if you make you're own mounts.

I agree with not paying full retail, I got my GoPro 20% off. Should I ever commit to the new GoPro 2 I would do the same thing. Someday ... but I'm content with the regular HD

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2012 at 6:09 Quote
For me it came down to ease of use out of the box, they both can be jazzed up with other stuff like mics, displays, remotes later. For me that meant the contour, I like that it had a switch you could actually feel so you knew when you had the thing recording and not and the laser dots made it easy to make sure it wasn;t pointed in the right direction.

I demo'd them both but found my first few run on the gopro (chest mount) the camera was angled way to low only after I reviewed the footage did I catch it. The contour lasers prevented this. Also it seemed when trying to follow and film another rider the contour kept them in sight better, where as the wider angle of the gopro lost them in the depth.

I will however admit that the chest mount of the gopro was much more stable than the goggle strap mount I tried at first on the contour, thought it may have been due to my old ass goggles and the quality improved drastically using the rotating surface mount.

Posted: Jan 3, 2012 at 9:29 Quote
Couldn't agree more. Well said.

Posted: Jan 3, 2012 at 9:36 Quote
I'm ordering my ContourROAM today I can't wait.

Posted: Jan 3, 2012 at 9:41 Quote
I'm ordering one really soon too! I'm excited to see if I like it better than the GPS I had.

Posted: Jan 3, 2012 at 10:34 Quote
jagarcia89 wrote:
For me it came down to ease of use out of the box, they both can be jazzed up with other stuff like mics, displays, remotes later. For me that meant the contour, I like that it had a switch you could actually feel so you knew when you had the thing recording and not and the laser dots made it easy to make sure it wasn;t pointed in the right direction.

I demo'd them both but found my first few run on the gopro (chest mount) the camera was angled way to low only after I reviewed the footage did I catch it. The contour lasers prevented this. Also it seemed when trying to follow and film another rider the contour kept them in sight better, where as the wider angle of the gopro lost them in the depth.

I will however admit that the chest mount of the gopro was much more stable than the goggle strap mount I tried at first on the contour, thought it may have been due to my old ass goggles and the quality improved drastically using the rotating surface mount.

The goggle mount is poor because you have to get the goggles tight so the mount doesn't move around plus the rails develop play over time so the cam moves on the rails. One fix is to get a velcro piece (velcro so it can be easily taken on and off and put the velcro band over the cam so it secures it to the rails. Then wear the goggle tighter.

The goggle mount is cool because you can move it around on the bike and secure it to the frame using webbing. See this article (uses a VIO mount but you can use the goggle mount instead)

Posted: Jan 3, 2012 at 15:19 Quote
As a dirt jumper, I love the gopro for how many places you can put it, the fisheye, and the brightness of it. If I were a downhiller, I would probably enjoy the Contour more.

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2012 at 15:40 Quote
I have a new hero2 and in my opinion is the better than the contour at the moment!

Posted: Jan 3, 2012 at 17:05 Quote
My friend just got a hd hero 2 and it worked at first but then it just wouldn't turn on even when charged but I was able to find how to fix it on go pro's website.

Posted: May 2, 2015 at 12:06 Quote
f*ck off

Edit: he f*cked off

Posted: May 2, 2015 at 12:08 Quote
ouch, not the place to advertise right!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014128
Mobile Version of Website