2003 Marzocchi Monster T Adjustment issue?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
2003 Marzocchi Monster T Adjustment issue?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 28, 2010 at 4:42 Quote
Hello

This may seem like a really stupid and obvious question but here goes.
On both pairs of 2003 monster t that i own the adjustment's on the right leg do nothing , the compression and the rebound , now i got told these are high speed sensetive so will only work when being used and not standing still (how the hell would you know how much rebound and compression you have until you use them) , don't know if this is true but every fork i have owned with rebound works either way.
The bottom out compression works fine on both sets of forks.
or is there a special way to service them as i just strip and clean them , and pour fresh 10wt oil in them.
Can the cartridge be serviced? or do i need to buy a new one.
Or is it ok to use them how they are.

cheers

Jason

Posted: Dec 28, 2010 at 18:18 Quote
Had a simular issue with my old monsters, They are really simple internally so dont be scared to have a look. But on mine it was a nylon bush/o' ring that had worn and was allowing oil to flow bast without having to go through the damping circuit.

Your highspeed adjustment is on the bottom of the lowers. The screw's on top adjust your bottom out and rebound speed. Using them how they are now (if you had the same issue as me) wont do them any harm. It would still be worth checking them over though to make sure for certain what is going on.

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 at 3:06 Quote
socast01 wrote:
Had a simular issue with my old monsters, They are really simple internally so dont be scared to have a look. But on mine it was a nylon bush/o' ring that had worn and was allowing oil to flow bast without having to go through the damping circuit.

Your highspeed adjustment is on the bottom of the lowers. The screw's on top adjust your bottom out and rebound speed. Using them how they are now (if you had the same issue as me) wont do them any harm. It would still be worth checking them over though to make sure for certain what is going on.

Hi Thanks for the info , so can the cartridge be took to bits? as they are not sealed.
any info on how to take them to bits?

cheers

Jay

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 at 6:53 Quote
The cartridge is sealed by a split ring at the bottom. You need to remove the spring and top cap however so that the plunger shaft can pass out the bottom of the cartridge.

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3524312/

Thats a pic of a monster tha has pretty much been stripped right back.

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 at 10:27 Quote
wow! thanks allot buddy , i will attempt this tomorow and post my results ,

Thanks again

Jay

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 at 11:56 Quote
Right i have stripped them down and are exactly as the pic you posted , and the only thing i can remove on them are a rubber o ring , and a metal bushing like a smaller version of the one at the bottom of the stanchion.
So should i try and find the right size o ring?
Also how can i test it without rebuilding the fork?
As they look pretty solid inside and all metal so nothing should go wrong , apart from the o ring.
Is this mostly the problem with it?
As the bottom out compression on the left leg works fine.

You can get new cartridge online for about £80.00 but don't want to have to spend that for the sake of an o ring.

cheers

Jay

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 at 12:06 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6010272/

The highlighted section is the bush that you will more than likely need to replace. I had forgotten it was metal btw lol. Any o-rings you come accross I would replace anyway. Monsters are pretty much indestructable and will last forever. the rest of your cartridge should be fine.

Get in touch with windwave for replacment parts (ALL marzocchi syuff being sold in uk comes through them), the wont sell direct but they will give you the part number so you lbs can order them for your.

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 at 12:07 Quote
Oh you may want to order a new seal kit to, chances are you will need to replace the current ones. £20 off crc last I checked.

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 at 12:22 Quote
socast01 wrote:
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6010272/

The highlighted section is the bush that you will more than likely need to replace. I had forgotten it was metal btw lol. Any o-rings you come accross I would replace anyway. Monsters are pretty much indestructable and will last forever. the rest of your cartridge should be fine.

Get in touch with windwave for replacment parts (ALL marzocchi syuff being sold in uk comes through them), the wont sell direct but they will give you the part number so you lbs can order them for your.

Yeah that's the one buddy , any idea whats it is called and if these can definatlety be purchased?

Thanks again

Jay

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 at 12:35 Quote
Not a clue but, the guys at windwave know their stuff and will be more than happy to help you. I would descibe it as the bush on the end of the main plunger however if that helps. I'm not sure if that indevidual part will be available for purchase you may need to buy it in part of a kit.

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 at 13:01 Quote
socast01 wrote:
Not a clue but, the guys at windwave know their stuff and will be more than happy to help you. I would descibe it as the bush on the end of the main plunger however if that helps. I'm not sure if that indevidual part will be available for purchase you may need to buy it in part of a kit.

Yeah cheers bud , i imagine they will just say you can't buy them and need a new cartridge

Thanks allot

Jay

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 at 13:46 Quote
No, you can buy replacment parts for the rebound/compression cartridge. I think that rather than buying the bush on its own they would sell the plunger, shimstack, bush and retaining bolt. Dont dispaire lol.
Also the cartridge thats for sale online is for the really old monsters I think.

Posted: Dec 29, 2010 at 14:18 Quote
socast01 wrote:
No, you can buy replacment parts for the rebound/compression cartridge. I think that rather than buying the bush on its own they would sell the plunger, shimstack, bush and retaining bolt. Dont dispaire lol.
Also the cartridge thats for sale online is for the really old monsters I think.

OH Good then i will ring them asap .

cheers

Jay

Posted: Jan 6, 2011 at 21:06 Quote
Hey you guys, I'm sorry to bring up this thread again but I figured its not too old (5 days or so). Specifically for socast, do you know a lot about the 99-03 monster Ts? I have posted on several other forums but no one really seems to know a lot... On my monster, it only compresses a little farther than halfway (even after extreme pressure is put on it), and it is fairly stiff in general. Does the oil/spring need to be changed? I heard you talking about the compression adjustment earlier, I can't imagine that would be the problem but does that have anything to do with it?

Posted: Jan 7, 2011 at 1:39 Quote
What year monsters are they?
As from 99 to 2002 the cartridge was sealed and can't be stripped down , but on the 2003 the cartridge is not sealed and can be totaly stripped down.
If you feel confident enough strip them , i was not sure at first but it is realy easy.
Oh yeah windwave don't do spares for the internals , they only do the cartridge which is £140.00 , also the guy was like ughhhh i don't work on monsters so i would not know as i thought they were sealed.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012430
Mobile Version of Website