Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: May 14, 2017 at 23:36 Quote
Yes because with near most all frames these days you are dictated by those who are mass producing them.
Stealth routing has no beneficial impact to the frame over external. All it does it makes it a pain in the a**se to remove the post

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 0:15 Quote
Hecky wrote:
Yes because with near most all frames these days you are dictated by those who are mass producing them.
Stealth routing has no beneficial impact to the frame over external. All it does it makes it a pain in the a**se to remove the post

That frame is a masterpiece.

And id have gone for external as well, less faff

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 1:41 Quote
I ordered my BTR frame without any stealth option... especially when it comes to droppers the stealth option is pita if you want to move the dropper from one bike to another. I expect the wireless droppers will become norm in the future.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 1:46 Quote
iffy wrote:
internal cable routing can burn in hell.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 5:08 Quote
I'm not so sure.

I have had frames that run internal, external and a mix. Internal routing is definitely a pain in the arse but does look better IMO.

External droppers are fine but i would only run one that has the cable mounted at the collar and not the top as when dropped it makes that loop near your rear tyre which is begging to be snagged, especially in the wildly overgrown singletrack near myself.

Personally I am adapting my Hardtail to run a 'stealth' dropper which exits at the base of the seat-tube and then runs external. I don't believe it will look unusual from having a mix. It will just be more practical for my needs.

Having said that an externally ran dropper would be indeed easier to change and maintain but finding a collar routed one is hard to find and often the most expensive option.

Lot of factors there but I don't believe for a second it's down to 'big brands dictating us'. It's more a matter of aesthetics and practicality in some instances.

Awesome frame though mate. Really looks the nuts. Planning on changing the fork decals? They sort of stick out a bit.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 5:37 Quote
rAtty-c wrote:
I'm not so sure.

I have had frames that run internal, external and a mix. Internal routing is definitely a pain in the arse but does look better IMO.

External droppers are fine but i would only run one that has the cable mounted at the collar and not the top as when dropped it makes that loop near your rear tyre which is begging to be snagged, especially in the wildly overgrown singletrack near myself.

Personally I am adapting my Hardtail to run a 'stealth' dropper which exits at the base of the seat-tube and then runs external. I don't believe it will look unusual from having a mix. It will just be more practical for my needs.

Having said that an externally ran dropper would be indeed easier to change and maintain but finding a collar routed one is hard to find and often the most expensive option.

Lot of factors there but I don't believe for a second it's down to 'big brands dictating us'. It's more a matter of aesthetics and practicality in some instances.

Awesome frame though mate. Really looks the nuts. Planning on changing the fork decals? They sort of stick out a bit.

My frame is like what u r adapting yours to b like....stealth down the ST and then external....can't wait till the dropper arrives Razz

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 7:22 Quote
Mine has external cable routing for everything but the seatpost which is goes down the seattube pops out at the BB then goes back in up the DT. If I get an internal post I'd probably just route it externally up the DT though saves fishing the cable through the frame.

O+
Posted: May 15, 2017 at 9:34 Quote
Hecky wrote:
i think stealth dropper is worth the effort. not talking fully internal just not having 14inches of cable that is not closely secured to the frame makes me nervous, i hate the noise of cables tap tap tap. stealth does make more sense but you're right its an extra step to feed hose/cable, on a reverb you need to shorten the hose out the box - bung it through the seatpost hole before reconnecting - they even supply a little threaded widgety thingamabob with an eyelet to screw into the hose - turn frame upside down poke a piece of thread in the hole grab it when it come out top of seat tube & tie it to the eyelet - pull hose down through st & out hole, takes literally 2mins. I fit dropper before i fit any other components. my surly didnt have stealth routing so i had to drill an 8mm hole in my frame - so yet another step in the process!! internal or external still think the curtis looks a cracker certainly dont see 'em often (enough!) Beer

O+
Posted: May 15, 2017 at 10:06 Quote
photo
overnight epic taking in some purpose built trails (QECP & stoughton along the south downs way) approx 9hrs in the saddle. 5hrs in the pub Eek

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 10:13 Quote
Hecky wrote:
Wythal1, I had to pay bloody extra for the external routine!

What makes it odd (in my opinion) is that we're constantly dictated by the frame producers with what they class as a full internal route compared to a part internal, which having only the dropper internal leaves two other externals. Making it completely odd. Either have all three cables internal or all external.

Damn! that is the definition of charging more for less! I didn't realise that you had to pay for external routing.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 10:52 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
Hecky wrote:
Wythal1, I had to pay bloody extra for the external routine!

What makes it odd (in my opinion) is that we're constantly dictated by the frame producers with what they class as a full internal route compared to a part internal, which having only the dropper internal leaves two other externals. Making it completely odd. Either have all three cables internal or all external.

Damn! that is the definition of charging more for less! I didn't realise that you had to pay for external routing.

Maybe if you were using cable guides on the bottle cage bosses on the down tube, that and a hole in the seat tube is probably less work than dedicated guides along the top tube? That's the only reason I can come up with. Reminds me a bit of a frame I looked at where it was more expensive to have a PF bottom bracket than a threaded one.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 10:54 Quote
Them little cable guides aren't the cheapest to manufacture and a pain to braze onto a frame so I can see why he charged extra for that as opposed to drilling cable holes.

I could be wrong though.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 14:22 Quote
I don't think I have heard of anyone actually snagging a dropper post cable. Probably badly fited if they did.

Posted: May 15, 2017 at 21:59 Quote
That looks f*n awesome!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.039280
Mobile Version of Website