Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 3:26 Quote
I think it would probably reduce responsiveness vertically but wouldn't it increase responsiveness to your typical trail xc bump in which you have more forward momentum into the obstacle and less of that is lost in friction

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 3:40 Quote
I get what you mean, but I've got no idea.

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 3:44 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
I get what you mean, but I've got no idea.
Me neither

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 4:16 Quote
When you say offset you are referring to the rake?

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 4:40 Quote
There is a small discussion here https://www.pinkbike.com/news/To-The-Point-Rake-and-Trail.html

Small or no rake means more trail and low-speed handling, if I understood well your problem...

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 5:13 Quote
favis wrote:
I was doodling in class and I was drawing forks and I started wondering why fork manufacturers put the offset at 90 degrees to the path of travel. if they tilted the entire system back and achieved the same offset, it seems like the fork would put less stress on seals be more sensitive to flat edged bumps. The only drawback might be that the fork would have to be longer because you are placing the dropout directly below the fork. I did some math and in order to to hit the same axle point, a 542mm axle to crown would be 544 mm axle to crown with no offset. Anyone have any opinions on this I would like to hear them.

Isn't offset measured perpendicular to the steering axis? If you measure it parallel to the direction of travel (perpendicular would be vertically up in the air, or sideways Wink ) you'd only get the same value as the "actual' offset if the HT angle was 90° Razz

Generally a longer A2C is going to increase stiction, assuming no other changes - it effectively increases the leverage about the pivot point (crown race / headtube) and that means more force thus more flex, so tubes are less "straight" at onto they pass through the seals etc and this would be expected to result in more binding.
It's a bit more complex in practice as the sliders and legs are partly separate systems, so a USD fork could potentially do better than a conventional fork of the same A2C as there is less distance between the axle (effectively the pont at which the force from the terrain is acting) and the seals, but that's only the case assuming flex characteristics are the same between the two and that's a very big assumption...

TBH I really like the Lefty as a solution in many respects - moving on bearings and a USD setup does make them feel very supple.

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 5:31 Quote
Let me see if I can explain myself better if there is a triangle and the acute angles are the race and axle instead of using both the legs of the triangle to achieve the desired offset use the hypotenuse with the direction of travel at an angle to the steering axis

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 5:37 Quote
Krisper wrote:
New cockpit/trying new tires before the races in a couple weeks, I finally caught up on the hardtail and managed to score a new PR on a few trails since I sold my Enduro Big Grin I still need a dropper though, I just can't decide which one.

New Atlas bar stem grip set up Specialized Phenom seat and WTB Convict 2.5 Breakout 2.3 set up before race season. I still really need a dropper..

Nice! I love the color. Is that the BluePig? I bought the BigWig frame this year and bought the dropper that would've come stock on the complete build. Brand-X Ascend. For $150, I couldn't be happier.

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 6:04 Quote
Built on the cheap with parts-bin left overs and scored a cheap Xfusion fork here on B/S, waiting for some €€€ to get a dropper and some better brakes. It's a fun bike to do laps on in the park here in Åre or just take out and pedal around on the home trails.

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 6:09 Quote
CamShreds wrote:
Krisper wrote:
New cockpit/trying new tires before the races in a couple weeks, I finally caught up on the hardtail and managed to score a new PR on a few trails since I sold my Enduro Big Grin I still need a dropper though, I just can't decide which one.

New Atlas bar stem grip set up Specialized Phenom seat and WTB Convict 2.5 Breakout 2.3 set up before race season. I still really need a dropper..

Nice! I love the color. Is that the BluePig? I bought the BigWig frame this year and bought the dropper that would've come stock on the complete build. Brand-X Ascend. For $150, I couldn't be happier.

It is! Last years model.
I was looking at the BrandX mainly just for how cheap it is. I just need to get a few measurements.

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 6:37 Quote
ledude wrote:
Kingdom Vendetta X2 medium @ 140mm travel, 155mm cranks

(((WOW))) very very ill weapon... Love the short cranks & rose-gold stem Wink

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 6:42 Quote
RedOctober wrote:
There is a small discussion here https://www.pinkbike.com/news/To-The-Point-Rake-and-Trail.html

Small or no rake means more trail and low-speed handling, if I understood well your problem...

Angles have changed a bit since 2013...

bigquotesWhat that does is allows us to kick the head angle back to a relatively slack, 69 degrees

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 6:47 Quote
SirChomps-a-Lot wrote:
mayo-22 wrote:

I feel like we didn't linger on this one long enough. What _IS_ this thing? Let's dig into it.

Oh yeah... This is the Hardtail version of the full-suss bike, the Spit... Drool Wink

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026382
Mobile Version of Website