Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Oct 2, 2018 at 19:16 Quote
Paradis6 wrote:
I finally did it, and convert my full suspension into a hardtail

From my full suspension, I took the wheels, Pike rct3 160mm, crank/chainring/pedals, derailleur/shifter, stem, handelbar and grips.

Bought a small Dartmoor Hornet frame, and few brand new parts :
-Cassette Sunrace MX3 11-40
-Shimano XT chain
-Magura MT7 brakes with 203 mm Shimano Icetech rotors fr/rr
-Headset
-Bottom bracket
And took the dropper post (KS Eten) from my fatbike

Before

photo

After : I know, it's dirty, and I'm going to shorten the brakes hoses soon

photo
photo

Sunrace cassette is shit, with theses CLUNG noises everytime I change gear, and finally put the old XT 11-42 (42T one up) from my other bike. Hope Pro 4 rear hub was ok on my full suspensions, but feel shitty on the hardtail, there is a serious lack of drivering points which is felt much more on the hardtail than on the FS. Really need to upgrade that to enjoy the bike

Nice build up Beer , I had a similar experience with my 2 bikes until I put some i9 hubs on with 120 points of engagement, that really helps, especially on the uphill, and even on the flats when you want to hall arse lol . An the 160mm Pike I think is the sweet spot for our frames, feels natural to me, and not out of place.

Posted: Oct 2, 2018 at 22:04 Quote
Yeah I know i9 are awesome ! As an amateur trial rider, I ride i9 ont my fatbike and my other hardtail, and there is something like 108 drivering points in my trial bike crankset, but this is the first time I see the incredible difference between thoses. On the FS, the "loose" (don't know of I can say that in english) in the rear hub had to be compensated by the "pedal kick" of the rear suspension movement, and I had never felt the need for a better one

Posted: Oct 3, 2018 at 4:12 Quote
Paradis6 wrote:
I finally did it, and convert my full suspension into a hardtail...

-Magura MT7 brakes with 203 mm Shimano Icetech rotors fr/rr

In case this setup lacks power, don't blame the brakes. Blame the discs. Magura uses thicker rotors and their wear limit is right where Shimano discs start out.

Posted: Oct 4, 2018 at 4:21 Quote
I just finished botching together a close ratio transmission with the least amount of weight possible at the rear axle.

As in I put a 3x crank and a front derailleur on my Oka. Might sound stupid, but I'm obsessed with the idea that less weight on the hub and near the rear axle is better.
This setup caused more headache than I am comfortable to admit.

I put a 22, a 32, a 36 tooth chainring and a bashguarad on the crank, mounted a Sram X9 FD (somebody at Sram probably broke out in tears), that I had to cut a bit off to get to mount low enough, and in the end had to put a pulley on an adapter clamp for a direct mount FD to reroute the derailleur cable.
The dropper remote had to be relocated to the other side of the bars, though. So that's something to get used to.

The chain tensioner is actually pretty trick. It's part of a Zee derailler hacked off and bolted to a carbon plate. 135g. Got it used from some dude who probably used it on his DH bike.

photo

I'm pretty stoked on that setup. Pics will follow.

Posted: Oct 4, 2018 at 6:19 Quote
Sounds interesting.

Posted: Oct 4, 2018 at 12:09 Quote
Great stuff, keep us posted pls. I always wondered if a 3 by 1 or 2 by 1 drive train would be worth the idea as a "better" compromise between 10+ gears and SS.

Posted: Oct 4, 2018 at 12:33 Quote
Pyro, SS out back? Super stoked to see it, I have tried a similar contraption with not so hot success.... he tensioner looks baddass!

Posted: Oct 4, 2018 at 12:41 Quote
I'm intrigued to see how this looks and works. That zee tensioner is pretty cool!

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2018 at 14:21 Quote
PatrickScar wrote:
Great stuff, keep us posted pls. I always wondered if a 3 by 1 or 2 by 1 drive train would be worth the idea as a "better" compromise between 10+ gears and SS.

I run ss 98% of the time and have given it a lot of thought myself. Ive come to the conclusion if youre going to have a gear changing contraption 9-10 is pretty nice, however i hadnt considered the location of the gear changing contraption...

Posted: Oct 4, 2018 at 18:01 Quote
Nicksand5 wrote:
PatrickScar wrote:

I run ss 98% of the time and have given it a lot of thought myself. Ive come to the conclusion if youre going to have a gear changing contraption 9-10 is pretty nice, however i hadnt considered the location of the gear changing contraption...
Hey, how do you like the Kingdom?

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2018 at 16:27 Quote
Nice. I've had similar ideas of doing this sort of thing too. Interested in seeing your set up. Do you need a chain tensioner for a front derailleur to function correctly or is this because you lack another mechanism to tension the chain (like sliding drops)?

I know it would not be terrible efficient but agree it should be significantly lighter overall and put the weight in a better location.

pyromaniac wrote:
I just finished botching together a close ratio transmission with the least amount of weight possible at the rear axle.

As in I put a 3x crank and a front derailleur on my Oka. Might sound stupid, but I'm obsessed with the idea that less weight on the hub and near the rear axle is better.
This setup caused more headache than I am comfortable to admit.

I put a 22, a 32, a 36 tooth chainring and a bashguarad on the crank, mounted a Sram X9 FD (somebody at Sram probably broke out in tears), that I had to cut a bit off to get to mount low enough, and in the end had to put a pulley on an adapter clamp for a direct mount FD to reroute the derailleur cable.
The dropper remote had to be relocated to the other side of the bars, though. So that's something to get used to.

The chain tensioner is actually pretty trick. It's part of a Zee derailler hacked off and bolted to a carbon plate. 135g. Got it used from some dude who probably used it on his DH bike.

photo

I'm pretty stoked on that setup. Pics will follow.

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 at 3:06 Quote
trying Vendetta in 29 flavor Smile

photo

photo

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 at 11:00 Quote
There it is:
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

The FD does work, but it's not great. Probably because I cut off a big chunk of the inner plate.
Other than that there is nothing to report, really. Works as intended and the chain stays on.

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 at 19:13 Quote
Would be interesting to try, do you feel like the bike is more flickable with the less weighted rear end? ^

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 at 19:18 Quote
Perfect all day autumn solo hardtail ride today, Love this time of year, maybe my best aspen color viewing ride ever.
All day autumn loop New Jones trail 667
All day autumn loop
All day autumn loop
photo
All day autumn loop
All day autumn loop
All day autumn loop

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.033519
Mobile Version of Website