Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 17:41 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
slaker wrote:
Installed a Huck Norris on my Switchback today. been riding some super chunk free ride stuff lately,I usually have to ride at least 28 psi in the rear on a 2.5 minion as not to pinch tires and ding rims... Really seemed to work, was getting away with murder at 24 psi.

Was using Huck Norris for a while. Recently switched to a tannus armor insert in the rear, I felt like it smoothed out the trail buzz a lot better. Did get a flat the other day... but Ive gotten plenty of flats with the Huck Norris too.
Yeah, it seems too encourage even more tire abuse so I could see still running into trouble but if it saves me 9 out of 10 times or something maybe its worth it... Ill have to check out the Tannus Armor, haven't heard of that one yet.

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 18:09 Quote
have you guys noticed or experienced absorption of the sealant with those inserts? I pulled apart a used wheel a while back with one and the damn thing weighed a shit ton and there was about a gallon of sauce in that tire....

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 18:28 Quote
We tried a few different inserts at the shop.... I always end up throwing down for cush core. At 220lbs and cornering like a gorilla, I have found that cush core gives me the most sidewall support out of any of them.

I have 3 different wheelsets with Cushcore right now.

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 18:40 Quote
I guess the HN absorbs 40 grams of sealant from what they say....Cushcore sounds great ,the HN is simple.... Is the Cuchcore easy to install, maintain??,Any draw backs to it??

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 18:43 Quote
Downsides to cushcore is mostly weight and sometimes a bitch to install.

Tannus is almost as heavy, but not quite. However it doesn't absorb any sealant. because there is no sealant involved, it uses tubes. Which is kind of refreshing maybe? I haven't fully made up my mind yet.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 18:59 Quote
slaker wrote:
I guess the HN absorbs 40 grams of sealant from what they say....Cushcore sounds great ,the HN is simple.... Is the Cuchcore easy to install, maintain??,Any draw backs to it??

Weight mainly for drawbacks... And install can be a huge pain sometimes.. Definitely once you know the process it gets "easier" but still not easy. Tire and rim choice makes a huge difference in how hard install is.

I have installed probably 25-30 sets of cush core and can usually do it in 10 mins now.. But the set I just did on my DH bike with brand new Specialized Black diamond tires was a huge pain..

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 23:17 Quote
I've been running these in my rear tyres https://www.rimpactmtb.com/. 90 grams for a 29", very reasonably priced (£37 per pair, including quality valves), even accounting for recommended annual replacement. When I swapped tyres for summer I could see a colour change, but the weight stayed low, so I think it's just a coating of sealant, rather than absorbtion. Absolute game changer for feel, getting away with 22 psi, so much more grip and they take the edge off harsh impacts. They really help with stopping the tyre from squirming and burping, and the added bonus of rim protection. Installation was a doddle too.

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 23:38 Quote
metaam wrote:
I've been running these in my rear tyres https://www.rimpactmtb.com/. 90 grams for a 29", very reasonably priced (£37 per pair, including quality valves), even accounting for recommended annual replacement. When I swapped tyres for summer I could see a colour change, but the weight stayed low, so I think it's just a coating of sealant, rather than absorbtion. Absolute game changer for feel, getting away with 22 psi, so much more grip and they take the edge off harsh impacts. They really help with stopping the tyre from squirming and burping, and the added bonus of rim protection. Installation was a doddle too.

Very intruiging. Never heard of rimpact before.

Another tyre insert that is supposed to work quite well is 'Barbieri Anaconda'.

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 at 23:48 Quote
metaam wrote:

These look like the panzer inserts, but woithout the pointy bit and the extra £20 odd pound.

Wish I knew this before.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 8:27 Quote
metaam wrote:

Those look nice, Somewhere between a Huck Norris and a Cushcore. Really only 90g each? that's like 1/3rd of cushcore.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 10:12 Quote
Anybody tried the Nukeproof ARD inserts?

About to purchase a new wheelset for a new HT and defo want some inserts....... not decided which ones tho???

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 11:05 Quote
marko369 wrote:

About to purchase a new wheelset for a new HT and defo want some inserts....... not decided which ones tho???

Have you had a look at those ones that On-one / Planet X are selling? they are a ridiculous price!

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 11:16 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:

Those look nice, Somewhere between a Huck Norris and a Cushcore. Really only 90g each? that's like 1/3rd of cushcore.

Their site says 85g for 27.5 and 90g for 29, both approx. I just went and weighed a 27.5 I haven't fitted yet and it came in at 82g. Another bonus with them is I can easily seat tyres with my track pump that needed a compressor/accumulator to get them to pop without inserts. Don't even need to remove the valve core.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 16:03 Quote
Did not know there were so many choices,Good but makes things more complicated as usual.Good to see mountain biking's biggest problem being pursued, hopefully someone will come up with near bombproof and reasonably weighted solution.

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 2:04 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
marko369 wrote:

Have you had a look at those ones that On-one / Planet X are selling? they are a ridiculous price!

I’ll have a butchers, any real world experience with them?

Had a look at Rimpact mentioned above, look like they may be worth a blast

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026501
Mobile Version of Website