Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 0:26 Quote
Make sure you post the geo when he draws it up for you, banana.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 8:27 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
I'm far more excited about it than I expected to be when I had the idea originally. Really lucky that I've got some nice bikes already and I'm just as enthusiastic about this cheap steel monstrosity with a budget build.

Thanks for the thoughts on BB gents. Maybe I oversimplified the effect of not just sag, but use of travel due to compression on corners. I foresee an evening of trigonometry ahead of me before I confirm final numbers!
Compared to the plus tyres you mentioned, there's quite some tyre sag to consider, too. While the static outside diameter might be similar to 29" wheels on the trail they're more similar to classic 650b. If -40 on your 650b+ sagged feels good, you may want to aim at -60 on a 29er. Maybe even lower on a rigid due to the past-sag compression effect you mentioned.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 9:19 Quote
I've just fitted a GX Eagle groupset and Chris King/Stans ex3 wheels on my BTR. Hopefully if it's not too bad weather this weekend I'll get to test it out and take a couple of pictures before I get it dirty again.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 10:34 Quote
What's with people getting super high end parts and putting GX on them? That X0 level cassette is worth the upgrade over most bling hubs.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 10:47 Quote
sherbet wrote:
What's with people getting super high end parts and putting GX on them? That X0 level cassette is worth the upgrade over most bling hubs.

Probably just where your priorities are... for myself I care less about the smoothest shifting possible, or weight, than I do about high engagement for instance. I really like being able to just leave in a gear and back ratchet through techy climbs with quick hookup without shifting all over....

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 11:00 Quote
sherbet wrote:

I've had the GX groupset for months (I got it cheap) and not got round to fitting it until now.

I've previously only had Hope hubs but I wanted to try King for ages. Think they'll be the wheels that I never sell and move to any newer bikes I buy in the future.

I can always upgrade the cassette and chain as they wear. Just wanted to try 12 speed and make sure I wasn't going to detonate the derailleur on a rock anytime soon.
I had X01 1x11 previously, so will definitely be comparing the shifting quality. At the moment it doesn't seem too different.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 11:01 Quote
Gotchya dudes. I'm in the same boat, honestly, was just curious.

Will say the x0 cassette is absolutely killer and definitely worth the upgrade later down the road.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 13:26 Quote
GX 11 speed is the best bang/buck
Cassettes are light but last ages and ages.
Not heavy and plastic-y like NX
Not delicate and huge like eagle.
Shifting feels loads better than Shimano in my opinion. Not had a chance to try the 12 speed stuff yet and very keen to see how it feels. Silly new standard though. I have been tempted by 11 speed SLX on an XG-1150 cassette.

Apart from maybe getting the X1 chain, anything above GX is so much more expensive for tiny tiny gains. Spend it on suspension instead, or brakes.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 13:36 Quote
The original 12 speed gx eagle rear mech is a bit of a weak link, lots of people with jockey wheel issues.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 13:37 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
GX 11 speed is the best bang/buck
Cassettes are light but last ages and ages.
Not heavy and plastic-y like NX
Not delicate and huge like eagle.
Shifting feels loads better than Shimano in my opinion. Not had a chance to try the 12 speed stuff yet and very keen to see how it feels. Silly new standard though. I have been tempted by 11 speed SLX on an XG-1150 cassette.

Apart from maybe getting the X1 chain, anything above GX is so much more expensive for tiny tiny gains. Spend it on suspension instead, or brakes.

I agree 100%. Run a gx 11 speed drivetrain on my full suspension, gx shifter, gx derailleur, gx cassette, and x1 chain.
Works flawlessly never cedes a tune up in 6 months, crisp as anything.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 13:41 Quote
metaam wrote:
The original 12 speed gx eagle rear mech is a bit of a weak link, lots of people with jockey wheel issues.

Yeah, I'd read that. I'm hoping mine is from after the issues were sorted out. I'll just keep an eye on the top jockey wheel, hopefully checking it's not loose every few rides will mean it doesn't destroy itself.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
Mines -55mm and doesn’t look silly, I reckon 40mm will be too high tbh

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 17:05 Quote
sherbet wrote:

Will say the x0 cassette is absolutely killer and definitely worth the upgrade later down the road.

Given that X0 cassettes cost almost twice as much as GX, with no steps in between And GX cassettes are already pretty expensive, I think it makes sense that we see GX on so many gucci builds.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 17:30 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Given that X0 cassettes cost almost twice as much as GX, with no steps in between And GX cassettes are already pretty expensive, I think it makes sense that we see GX on so many gucci builds.

I suspect now that sunrace has 12 speed HD and XD options for around 75$ we’ll be seeing more of those as well. At least on my bike you will Wink

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 19:20 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
sherbet wrote:

X0 last for twice as long in my experience, and shifts vastly better in the meanwhile.

Don't get me wrong, I get it, it always just seemed weird to me to see eewings and a full custom wheel build.... then GX. If cost was a concern above all else, Sram 900s are a great hub. Get what I mean?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014087
Mobile Version of Website