Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Jun 22, 2019 at 14:11 Quote
lol lol lol
Am genuinely tempted to put that on the downtube of the new frame.

Posted: Jun 22, 2019 at 14:33 Quote
Sorry dude, I know it was a low blow, but I couldn't help myself. Razz

Posted: Jun 22, 2019 at 14:58 Quote
hardtailparty wrote:
charnek wrote:
Am I missing something with the brake mount? Is it adjustable or are is the quad piston supposed to bridge the forward back position of the rotor?

Same question. I don't see how quad piston could fix that. It seems like moving the wheel back would have less of the brake pad contacting the rotor. Shimano has side-to-side adjustment, but front-to-back on the posts is fixed. It's probably not the end of the world, but I'm struggling to see how the caliper can move to match the rotor when the axle is slid back.

You only need a few mm to tension a chain, about 7mm. The orientation of the caliper (regardless of 2/4 piston) means the rotor moves through a window where it has perfect pad contact.

Posted: Jun 23, 2019 at 9:22 Quote
Curtis AM7 with Sunrace MZ90 12 speed drivetrain.
Curtis AM7 with Sunrace MZ90 12 speed drivetrain.

First rideout today with the new drivetrain.
The first thing that I really noticed was just how smooth and precise and light the shifting was, so much so that there were a few occasions where I did glance down to check that it had actually changed gear!
The shifter itself is quite impressive considering how cheap it actually was. Every shift has a nice reassuring click with it. The shifter is very robust and well made, also ergonomically excellent from a lever positioning and form point of view.
The mech is excellent, nicely finished with a carbon cage with a fully adjustable clutch. the lever has infinite positions, not just on or off like the shimano.
The cassette seems to be well thought out and just simply works smoothly.
I will admit that I was a little concerned initially about weights of the components, for that reason I did remove the XTR drivetrain and compared the weights.
The 11/50 cassette was less than 90g heavier that the XT 11/42 11 speed that I removed.
The mech was only 25g than the XTR (med) 11 speed mech and the shifter was a mere 12g more than the XTR shifter!
So in short, less than 130g of extra weight for all of that extra range.
I found myself thinking how happy I was that this drivetrain was equally as smooth and precise as the XTR that I had removed, but at the same time disappointed that the XTR wasn't better than it considering how much it originally cost!

Posted: Jun 23, 2019 at 9:51 Quote
What is the drivetrain?

Posted: Jun 23, 2019 at 10:05 Quote
I think Shimano has abandoned the quest to keep improving there 11 speed and put everything into there 12 speed drivetrain.

Posted: Jun 23, 2019 at 10:27 Quote
Interesting, sounds impressive. That the MZ version of the shifter and der, Wythall?
Now kinda regretting not jumping on the 1x12 groupsets that CRC were shifting at a discount.
Good to have another genuinely viable alternative to SRAM/Shimano though tup
May yet gamble on the MX version over NX Eagle for my forthcoming build.

Posted: Jun 23, 2019 at 10:36 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
What is the drivetrain?

Sunrace MZ 12 speed

Posted: Jun 23, 2019 at 10:37 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
What is the drivetrain?

Sunrace MZ 12 speed

ahhh nice. good to hear!

Posted: Jun 23, 2019 at 10:41 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
Interesting, sounds impressive. That the MZ version of the shifter and der, Wythall?
Now kinda regretting not jumping on the 1x12 groupsets that CRC were shifting at a discount.
Good to have another genuinely viable alternative to SRAM/Shimano though tup
May yet gamble on the MX version over NX Eagle for my forthcoming build.

Yes, MZ shifter and MZ80 mech.
£261 for the groupset was a steal! I would suggest that it is still exceptional value at the £400 RRP based on the competition.

Posted: Jun 23, 2019 at 10:44 Quote
slaker wrote:
I think Shimano has abandoned the quest to keep improving there 11 speed and put everything into there 12 speed drivetrain.

I think that you are absolutely correct. My XTR 11 speed is still considerably better than the XT 11 speed that I had. Strangely, the 11 speed SLX that is on my sons '18 Vitus Sommet seemed far nicer than the XT that was on my TR Patrol. Strange! but we all know that SLX has always been good.

Posted: Jun 23, 2019 at 11:02 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
slaker wrote:

I think that you are absolutely correct. My XTR 11 speed is still considerably better than the XT 11 speed that I had. Strangely, the 11 speed SLX that is on my sons '18 Vitus Sommet seemed far nicer than the XT that was on my TR Patrol. Strange! but we all know that SLX has always been good.

+1 for slx! Slx mech and cassette with an xt shifter works brilliantly!

Posted: Jun 23, 2019 at 22:09 Quote
heinous wrote:
Here's a detail shot. Basically an old school horizontal dropout with a clever disc brake solution. It's super clean, not over built like a lot of sliding drop outs, and should comfortable to ride. The Paul bolt up axle is more than stiff enough.

Drop Out

So clean Drool

But it does look like your rotor is too small.
And if your caliper is not aligned perfectly, your pads are likely to develop a ridge as it is not wearing down evenly. I had this with my Ragley Bagger. It's fine until the ridges meet and you lose braking power.

With this little room for adjustment it might just be fine, though.

Posted: Jun 23, 2019 at 22:26 Quote
It’s fine, the rotor is exactly where it should be relative to pads - same as the front.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025295
Mobile Version of Website