Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 12:31 Quote
slaker wrote:
I run a 2.5 and have to run at least 28 psi in rear with Huck Norris to ride aggressively or I get in trouble.

With you tup

Try a Maxxis shorty sometime

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 12:51 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
slaker wrote:
I run a 2.5 and have to run at least 28 psi in rear with Huck Norris to ride aggressively or I get in trouble.

With you tup

Looks like a super grippy tire, crazy how far the paddles are spaced.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 13:34 Quote
slaker wrote:
Soupherb wrote:
slaker wrote:

With you tup

Looks like a super grippy tire, crazy how far the paddles are spaced.

Has its moments for sure! Riding 2.5 minion up front & 2.3 shorty rear for shits & giggles

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 14:15 Quote
I love a Shorty front and rear combo for the wetter months. Not a tyre for me in the dry though, not in these parts anyway, very sketchy on the front and too much drag on the rear.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 15:01 Quote
Everyone's terrain, style, and preferences are different. I totally get that many people don't like plus tires.

Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of plus tires on a hardtail (and even full suspension), especially on chunky, technical terrain. For buff alpine singletrack, I'll take a 29er 2.4 tire every day. But for 95% of my riding, plus is the way to go. Granted, I run stiff casings with cushcore, but even with lightweight tires I'm a fan of plus tires. I still haven't flatted with my plus tires yet, and I'll run as low as 10 psi sometimes. I've run 'em so low that I can hear the cushcore squeaking. One place I don't love plus tires is when I'm trying to cover a lot of ground quickly. They are less efficient due to the drag, but they're sure fun in the tech.

Not trying to stir a hornet's nest, just trying to offer an opinion that I dig plus tires. For reference, I mostly ride in the southwest: Moab, Sedona, Colorado, Utah, and Arizona desert square edge rock and kitty litter surfaces.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 15:44 Quote
metaam wrote:
I love a Shorty front and rear combo for the wetter months. Not a tyre for me in the dry though, not in these parts anyway, very sketchy on the front and too much drag on the rear.

Yep, I like that combo too

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 15:46 Quote
hardtailparty wrote:
Everyone's terrain, style, and preferences are different. I totally get that many people don't like plus tires.

Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of plus tires on a hardtail (and even full suspension), especially on chunky, technical terrain. For buff alpine singletrack, I'll take a 29er 2.4 tire every day. But for 95% of my riding, plus is the way to go. Granted, I run stiff casings with cushcore, but even with lightweight tires I'm a fan of plus tires. I still haven't flatted with my plus tires yet, and I'll run as low as 10 psi sometimes. I've run 'em so low that I can hear the cushcore squeaking. One place I don't love plus tires is when I'm trying to cover a lot of ground quickly. They are less efficient due to the drag, but they're sure fun in the tech.

Not trying to stir a hornet's nest, just trying to offer an opinion that I dig plus tires. For reference, I mostly ride in the southwest: Moab, Sedona, Colorado, Utah, and Arizona desert square edge rock and kitty litter surfaces.

All good here on this hardtail thread, happy days lol

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 20:49 Quote
slaker wrote:

... 28psi seems a lot to me, I never go over 25 even on a very rough and fast trail... and no huck norris or something, but I use 2.4" tires on relatively wide rims, wich seems to help... Yeah, from time to time I'm flatted several times in a row but most of the time I get away with that...

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 21:01 Quote
Maybe he’s a big muther trucker hauling ...

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 21:34 Quote
29x 2.6 with cush core and still 27 psi.. I am fat and don't know how to ride.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 22:02 Quote
RedOctober wrote:
slaker wrote:

... 28psi seems a lot to me, I never go over 25 even on a very rough and fast trail... and no huck norris or something, but I use 2.4" tires on relatively wide rims, wich seems to help... Yeah, from time to time I'm flatted several times in a row but most of the time I get away with that...
Maybe my pump gauge is wrong but if I know I'm gonna be hauling ass all day thats what I run, 25psi feels nicer but I tend to get into flatting zone there.I run 35 iw and 30iw rims and 2.4's to 2.5's for tires and weigh under 160,

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 23:07 Quote
hardtailparty wrote:

Plus are great in the right conditions and for the right style if riding. I've got 2.6 SE5s on my rigid Krampus but were on my Murmur before that. While not quite a full plus (I would consider 2.8 and wider plus) they are massively confidence inspiring. The downside is they are 1100g tyres which is heavy cf the 850g tyres I have replaced them with on the Murmur. On the rigid weight is less of an issue cf comfort.

I have also run 3.0 Surly Dirt Wzards which measure 2.8. 1300g per tyre but turns your bike into an absolute monstertruck.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 23:16 Quote
@Marty- how are you finding the DWs?

I rode 2.75” ones briefly and was impressed in a way but not in others as mine were cheapy version so no high tpi.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 0:26 Quote
slaker wrote:
RedOctober wrote:
slaker wrote:

Maybe my pump gauge is wrong but if I know I'm gonna be hauling ass all day thats what I run, 25psi feels nicer but I tend to get into flatting zone there.I run 35 iw and 30iw rims and 2.4's to 2.5's for tires and weigh under 160,

... or could be my gauge wrong.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 5:39 Quote
Is there a noticeable difference between 29x2.4 and 29x2.6 in terms of squishness?

I am going to be running a Chunky Monkey front and an Ardent rear (yes I know the Ardent kind of sucks but I have two laying around and I might as well burn them up). I am kind of considering 29x2.6 at some point. My local trails are a lot of rocky tech and hard packed clay.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.014778
Mobile Version of Website