Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 15:14 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
Nothing to do with boost spacing is it ?

Lol nope. It's a disc brake tab facing tool.

I have used one years ago as a fork I had the tabs for the caliper were uneven/had paint. Faced the tabs, everything aligned nicely.

Have not had a need for one in years / many different forks/frames

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 15:44 Quote
Unlikely IS isn't available on any boost forks.

Have they tried any other calipers? Could be a mix of the caliper being generally outboard with a wheel that mounts the rotor generally inboard. My coworker's recent Cannondale had that going on and he had to mill a mount to get it to work. Hard to say without having the bike in hand.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 16:13 Quote
Nahhh I was pointing info in bananaman ben’s way

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 22:24 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Unlikely IS isn't available on any boost forks.

Have they tried any other calipers? Could be a mix of the caliper being generally outboard with a wheel that mounts the rotor generally inboard. My coworker's recent Cannondale had that going on and he had to mill a mount to get it to work. Hard to say without having the bike in hand.

He got a rigid fork made...https://www.pinkbike.com/u/OneBanana/album/Marino/

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 23:22 Quote
Yep, SLX caliper mounted onto IS tab on rigid steel fork.
Sounded like it needed more extreme levels of material removal than would normally be the case with facing a mount. Sherb's right though - need to actually have a look at it. Alas bike is in UK, I'm in Germany, and mech is in Bali lol

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 4:43 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
Lol quite

I cannot make out what tyres but looks justified for a 50 mile race out

2.35 Ikon up front and 2.35 Rekon Race in the rear. The course was typical New England relentless rock and roots. The tires were ace for that. I also run Vittoria Airliners front and rear so I can run tire pressure low for grip and comfort.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 5:08 Quote
Regardless of tires, the bike is gorgeous!

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 5:22 Quote
Thanks, Red! It shredded the gnar, loved to pop off obstacles, and made quick work of the climbs. A little slacker than the Honzo and it felt great.

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 9:08 Quote
RedOctober wrote:
Regardless of tires, the bike is gorgeous!

That was precisely what I was thinking

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 18:53 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
Feck. Marino build not finished - frame is fine, but LBS is not having fun with the forks.
Caliper mount is IS type and appears to be slightly offset from where it should be, such that it's impossible to mount the brake without very significant rubbing on the disc. And it's the outer pad that's the problem, so can't even bodge it by spacing inwards with a couple of thin washers.
Better yet, I'm just about to leave to go to Germany for a week, and the LBS is now closed for two weeks for his annual holiday, so can't get the pics that Marino has requested. Not loving the experience quite as much as I was a week ago... Confused

Hang in there haha

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 5:43 Quote
I'm giving these 16 degree bars a go after my thumbs were destroyed at the race. Went to a 50mm stem from the 40mm I had on there. They look a little odd but feel good tooling around the driveway. I'll get some good time on them this weekend.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 5:51 Quote
I had some Thomson 12degree ti ones which were nice if a litte hefty for 730mm which were actually numbingly uncomfy for wrist with the back sweep but also opposingly vibe free unsurprisingly at same time.

Just goes to show how personal setups and geometry actually is important for comfort etc

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 5:54 Quote
I've been running On One Fleegle bars for some years on a number of different bikes. They've got 15° of back sweep.
Try pointing the ends down a bit, if you're not totally happy.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 5:57 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
I've been running On One Fleegle bars for some years on a number of different bikes. They've got 15° of back sweep.
Try pointing the ends down a bit, if you're not totally happy.

Good point yes rotating backwards and down helps greatly that forwards and up. Think I got that right lol

Nahhhh wait I’m damn sure I got that right

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 6:49 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
I had some Thomson 12degree ti ones which were nice if a litte hefty for 730mm which were actually numbingly uncomfy for wrist with the back sweep but also opposingly vibe free unsurprisingly at same time.

Just goes to show how personal setups and geometry actually is important for comfort etc

These are 780mm wide. Fingers crossed that they work out. I have to promise myself to ride them more than once before passing judgement.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011918
Mobile Version of Website