Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 10:27 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
StUone7 wrote:
Someone mind explaining ETT?

Effective top tube. Horizontal distance between top of headtube and seattube. The problem with ETT is that is not that useful of a measurement if your seat height is much higher or lower than the top of the headtube. Companies should do what banshee did on their latest geo charts and publish angles at different saddle heights.

Alright so just about how it sounds. So, how would you have a short ETT but a long reach?
Geo noob. Been riding the same bike for the last like 6 years.

With a super steep STA.
With a hardtail around 77* (cough *sick* cough) you get some wonky ass ETT's

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 10:41 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
StUone7 wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:

Effective top tube. Horizontal distance between top of headtube and seattube. The problem with ETT is that is not that useful of a measurement if your seat height is much higher or lower than the top of the headtube. Companies should do what banshee did on their latest geo charts and publish angles at different saddle heights.

Alright so just about how it sounds. So, how would you have a short ETT but a long reach?

With a super steep STA.

This...
My steel Gnarcissist was like this...
Was supposed to have a 480 reach, 77 deg seat angle. Ett was about 615ish
But from my own measurements, turned out the reach was around 445ish.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 10:55 Quote
slope wrote:
RedOctober wrote:
slaker wrote:
That is sick, A+ in my book. i set my bike in my living room more than occasionally just so I can gander at it when Im chillin... But looking at it makes me want to ride it for sure.

I cannot agree more

Good to hear, thought I was the only one doing that.

Three of my bikes live in the house permanently (unless I'm riding one of them) and I spend far too much of my time looking at them, especially at the moment, as I'm injured and can't ride. It's like a form of torture.

Good to see your paintwork holding up so well SilverCreek. Bike still looks great.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 11:28 Quote
metaam wrote:
slope wrote:
RedOctober wrote:

I cannot agree more

Good to hear, thought I was the only one doing that.

Three of my bikes live in the house permanently (unless I'm riding one of them) and I spend far too much of my time looking at them, especially at the moment, as I'm injured and can't ride. It's like a form of torture.

Good to see your paintwork holding up so well SilverCreek. Bike still looks great.

Thanks metaam. (And Red and Slaker) Here's to staring at, talking about, and riding on bicycles. Cheers

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 14:33 Quote
deniedway wrote:

sadly, i saw that nowdays ett is almost a forgotten measurement..and everything is just about reach, slack ha, steep seat, etc.. not saying that reach is a bad thing by far.. but for me the ett is also very important because o use my bike for almost every kind of ride..not just decendings..and find that too many bikes have that ..kind of a downside..hard to make longer ett with all the slack ha and steep seat madness.. moreover, when i say this i aim mostly at middle sized bike (M-L) because yeah, i can find one with long ett in soze xl but that bike is huge in everything else also..

I think you are bang on the money, a lot of manufacturers seem to build bikes for uplifts or or slowly winching up fire roads. They forget that to ride fast tight trails on the flat you need a compromise of a seated position to climbing. A lot of modern bikes handle dreadfully if they are not pointing down hill.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 16:11 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
StUone7 wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:

With a super steep STA.

This. Super steep STA and short chainstays

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 4:06 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
StUone7 wrote:

only half true..it is relevant, because once you know what it means you can make an idea if the frame is long enough for you or isn't..i mean yeah, it is a measurement that modifies a little but it is relevant because you know where you start from (if let's say the frame has a declared ett 630 or 600 is enough to conclude that frame is long enough for you or not)..if you end up with seat height much lower or higher than the end of the bars for a relaxed climbing position, then the frame might be either too big or too small for you..(unless you willingly want that setup) because if the frame fits you well enough, shouldn't be so much discrepancy between the height of your saddle and the handlebar when the seat is set for decent pedaling (that meaning your leg being almost straight when you sit on the saddle and placing your heel on the pedal, slightly bent knee)..so, it's a measurement that is relevant if you know how to take it in consideration i'd say, even if you end up with saddle much higher or lower..

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 4:21 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
deniedway wrote:

sadly, i saw that nowdays ett is almost a forgotten measurement..and everything is just about reach, slack ha, steep seat, etc.. not saying that reach is a bad thing by far.. but for me the ett is also very important because o use my bike for almost every kind of ride..not just decendings..and find that too many bikes have that ..kind of a downside..hard to make longer ett with all the slack ha and steep seat madness.. moreover, when i say this i aim mostly at middle sized bike (M-L) because yeah, i can find one with long ett in soze xl but that bike is huge in everything else also..

I think you are bang on the money, a lot of manufacturers seem to build bikes for uplifts or or slowly winching up fire roads. They forget that to ride fast tight trails on the flat you need a compromise of a seated position to climbing. A lot of modern bikes handle dreadfully if they are not pointing down hill.

i don't know if they forget or they only focus on relevant stuff found in trends .. not trying to make a balanced bike..at least that's how i see many brand doing it.."if slack ha and steep seat is a thing, then let's give them that" forget about ett..not many look at it anyway..here, most people are passionate about bikes and know their shit..but generally i haven't met many that know many about what all those measurements mean and how they relate to one another or moreover, how they relate to their needs and real world use..and of course that they can't address for survival only to those few.. not harshly judging.. just saying..

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 6:20 Quote
The Vendetta in what I see as its natural habitat, Scottish winterish.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 8:39 Quote
deniedway wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
StUone7 wrote:

only half true..it is relevant, because once you know what it means you can make an idea if the frame is long enough for you or isn't..i mean yeah, it is a measurement that modifies a little but it is relevant because you know where you start from (if let's say the frame has a declared ett 630 or 600 is enough to conclude that frame is long enough for you or not)..if you end up with seat height much lower or higher than the end of the bars for a relaxed climbing position, then the frame might be either too big or too small for you..(unless you willingly want that setup) because if the frame fits you well enough, shouldn't be so much discrepancy between the height of your saddle and the handlebar when the seat is set for decent pedaling (that meaning your leg being almost straight when you sit on the saddle and placing your heel on the pedal, slightly bent knee)..so, it's a measurement that is relevant if you know how to take it in consideration i'd say, even if you end up with saddle much higher or lower..

Must be nice to have average-ish body proportions.
If i put my handlebars as high as my seat there would be no front wheel traction whatsoever. Makes it impossible to get up anything steep without the front end wandering, and difficult to get down anything fast without my front end washing.
I've got long legs for my height.
kinda throws traditional "fit" out the window.
Fit that was really more meant for road bikes anyway

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 9:14 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
deniedway wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:

Must be nice to have average-ish body proportions.
If i put my handlebars as high as my seat there would be no front wheel traction whatsoever. Makes it impossible to get up anything steep without the front end wandering, and difficult to get down anything fast without my front end washing.
I've got long legs for my height.
kinda throws traditional "fit" out the window.
Fit that was really more meant for road bikes anyway

Could always try bending your legs. They go shorter when bent. Assuming you've got working knees this should be a doddle and cost no more than an occasional piece of oily fish to maintain.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 9:16 Quote
stoo61 wrote:

Quality. I'd love to be able to ride in proper mountains regularly.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 12:15 Quote
stoo61 wrote:

Nice..
How do you find the wheelset and helm fork?

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 12:19 Quote
thats at Laggan Wolftrax right?

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 12:34 Quote
Bigblob123 wrote:
thats at Laggan Wolftrax right?

Top one is Laggan yeah. Trail centres really come into their own in the winter.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016939
Mobile Version of Website