Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 4:14 Quote
I'm half tempted to go with a dream spec Stanton SWITCH9ER with a 140mm marzocchi z2 for my next steed to get me out of the bad habits years on a dh bike have taught me. I was just wondering how capable they really are realistically? Am I going to still be able to do bike park black runs without my joints exploding?

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 11:25 Quote
Theres a bloke here in Nelson NZ who rides one, does all the Nelly trails including the grade 6's* on it. Sold his geometron after getting the switch9er.

*typically Nelson trails are graded light, so a grade 3 in Nelson would be a grade 4 in rotorua.

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 11:25 Quote
Oh... his is Ti too

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 12:14 Quote
if you're talking about hardtails in general then you will be fine. i've taken mine down loads of blacks and some oranges at bike parks (Bike Park Wales, Revolution etc...) and also down the world cup run at Fort William a few times.

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 13:03 Quote
Ive seen some gnarly stuff done on hardtails, I believe its the rider that must be capable though. But from a biased opinion I believe the Stanton Switchback and Switch9 are about as capable as a hardtail gets.

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 13:12 Quote
Awesome, sounds like I won't have any excuses if I take the plunge then! Glad to hear bpw and revs are in reach too, would love to give fort William a go at some point

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 13:14 Quote
james-skipper wrote:
Awesome, sounds like I won't have any excuses if I take the plunge then!
I don't know if you saw the second sentence cause I was typing while you responded.

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 13:16 Quote
slaker wrote:
james-skipper wrote:
Awesome, sounds like I won't have any excuses if I take the plunge then!
I don't know if you saw the second sentence cause I was typing while you responded.

Just seen it, hoping to get a demo on one soon but it's great to hear good things thanks!

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 18:35 Quote
I rode my NS Eccentric Cromo at our bike park a few days last summer. Rode the DH race course and a few of our most tech trails. I never had issues with specific moves or anything.. It's just the fatigue sets in so much faster. I could only do 2 runs (12 miles and 3k feet per lap) where I could do 4-5 on the enduro or DH bike.

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 10:45 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
I rode my NS Eccentric Cromo at our bike park a few days last summer. Rode the DH race course and a few of our most tech trails. I never had issues with specific moves or anything.. It's just the fatigue sets in so much faster. I could only do 2 runs (12 miles and 3k feet per lap) where I could do 4-5 on the enduro or DH bike.

This (sometimes you just got to give it to the sussers)

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 11:35 Quote
I did Fort William on my Cove Stiffee the first time I was there.

2002 when it was hardtail or nothing for me Smile While I "could" ride a hardtail there It wouldn't be my first choice, and I would't be going super quick.

I'm not super quick in the first place (9min ish at Fort William)

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 22:51 Quote
I think I've developed the habit of rebuilding my Shan way too often.

Fresh dropper post rear tyre cockpit and a stupid drivetrain mod.

Fresh bars and stem for the Shan. Colour is a good match.

Sram GX 11s shifter Sram XX1 11s rear mech Jtek Shiftmate Shimano XT 9s cassette and a Campagnolo Record C9 chain. Seems to work.

It is now running 1x9 with XX1 11s rear mech, GX 11s shifter, a Jtek Shiftmate and an 11-34 Shimano XT 9s cassette. Chain is a Campagnolo Record 9s.
Beautifully clunky and rock solid.
I know about XD drivers and that stuff, but I still don't like them.

Bars really needed to be changed though. And I took the Straitline stem off of my Transition to match the Straitline pedals on this one.

The Kashima dropper is a remnant of the Shan N°5 I had a while ago. Really came in handy when my Fox DOSS died for a second time in under six months. However the dropper cable routing on the upper left side of the down tube is pretty messy. Works on photos, but sucks in person.
Once that dropper dies I'll refit the serviced DOSS.

Other than that I really really really like that bike. I even taped together the brake line and rear mech housing from the bars all the way to the seat tube where they split. Facepalm

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 23:37 Quote
Now what dropper lever is that?

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 23:45 Quote
Still the old Fox DOSS one. I had to rob a screw-on cable end from an old KS post to make it work.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 0:00 Quote
It's cool how you got everything to work together.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011147
Mobile Version of Website