Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 6:34 Quote
Yes, I have Axe LE cranks paired with an Works Components ring. They feel and look rock-solid, however I cannot say how resilient to abuse they are because I just have them for a few days...

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 9:25 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
I want to get some 165mm cranks for my Big Wig. What are some budget choices? Anyone used DMR Axe cranks?

Yes, I have 2 sets of them already! Superb! The only annoyance is being limited to a single BB option.
I'm sure that you have seen that CRC have the 165mm option for £55 at the moment! I've just ordered another pair in 170mm to replace my flexi XT's pn my full squish bike as I don't like flexi cranks very much.

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 10:19 Quote
I too have dmr axle le cranks, for about 3/4 of a year been caked in mud/jet washed all running fine. Haven’t came lose, stayed solid.

Only arsey thing is the bb/crank arms being 30mm non drive side and 28 on the drive side.

Dmr say to use their only bb that’s made for this? But in fact they are praxis m30 but not the standard one

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 10:45 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
I want to get some 165mm cranks for my Big Wig. What are some budget choices? Anyone used DMR Axe cranks?

Yes, I have 2 sets of them already! Superb! The only annoyance is being limited to a single BB option.
I'm sure that you have seen that CRC have the 165mm option for £55 at the moment! I've just ordered another pair in 170mm to replace my flexi XT's pn my full squish bike as I don't like flexi cranks very much.

Yeah only using their BB is a bummer. I didn't see the CRC deal. May have to take advantage of that.

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 22:29 Quote
Looks pretty cool. Them forks are the biz..

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 9:31 Quote
RedOctober wrote:
Yes, I have Axe LE cranks paired with an Works Components ring. They feel and look rock-solid, however I cannot say how resilient to abuse they are because I just have them for a few days...

You'll be glad to hear that they are bullet proof Red! tup My son has been excessively abusing a pair for 3 years!

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 2:14 Quote
I know this is likely to start a fist fight but I'm going to drum up the wheel size argument again! I'm planning a hardtail build and cant make my mind up between the Stanton Switch9er or Switchback. I'm planning on doing plenty on single track all mountain style stuff so loads of pedalling but I also want it to be up for the gnarlier off piste stuff that the pedal is for. Not too worried about it managing big bike park tech and features though since I'll leave that to the full sus. I'm leaning towards the 29er for the roll over and easier pedal but I'm worried it wont be playful enough? Any thoughts?

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 2:41 Quote
james-skipper wrote:
I know this is likely to start a fist fight but I'm going to drum up the wheel size argument again! I'm planning a hardtail build and cant make my mind up between the Stanton Switch9er or Switchback. I'm planning on doing plenty on single track all mountain style stuff so loads of pedalling but I also want it to be up for the gnarlier off piste stuff that the pedal is for. Not too worried about it managing big bike park tech and features though since I'll leave that to the full sus. I'm leaning towards the 29er for the roll over and easier pedal but I'm worried it wont be playful enough? Any thoughts?

I love a wheel size debate. Here are the thoughts that nobody really asked to know.

If you're very tall I'd consider 29er. If you're xc racing and tall enough I'd consider 29er. For almost all other hardtail duties I'd go 27.5".

I ride my hardtail on local trails which aren't littered with large obstacles, and during the winter where the condition of the ground usually dictates lower speed.

When riding either easy trails or more difficult trails at lower speed i usually take the hardtail over the trail full susser because it doesn't go over stuff as easily, making it more fun. For this reason i wouldn't want larger wheels that would make the same trails easier and (in my mind) less fun. If the same trails become easier for me on the same bike it means I'm improving, which is fine.

Horses for courses and all that, if i lived in the lake district or Scotland i might see things differently. As i usually ride on the north downs in Kent or Surrey Hills the smaller wheels keep things more fun.

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 3:13 Quote
james-skipper wrote:

Ive owned 27.5 and 29 Full suss enduro rigs and I can say I prefer 27.5 for that.

I also own a 29'er Kingdom Vendetta and I'm happy with that.

So essentially my 2 pence worth is...29 hardballs, 27.5 full squish.

I am 5'11, I do think that rider height is a factor, how tall are you?

(absolutely no help at all)

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 3:32 Quote
Thanks for your thoughts, I'm 5'10 so should just about be able to go either way. I'm based in south Wales so theres plenty of varied riding to keep me busy! Thats a good point on making stuff a bit harder being more fun, sounds like a good way to get the most out of even the mellower stuff that I hadn't thought about. How different are they to pedal? I've barely had any time on 29ers so I'm basing all of my decisions on them off of hearsay

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 4:04 Quote
james-skipper wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts, I'm 5'10 so should just about be able to go either way. I'm based in south Wales so theres plenty of varied riding to keep me busy! Thats a good point on making stuff a bit harder being more fun, sounds like a good way to get the most out of even the mellower stuff that I hadn't thought about. How different are they to pedal? I've barely had any time on 29ers so I'm basing all of my decisions on them off of hearsay

I think it'd be best for you to demo a 29er hardtail.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020564
Mobile Version of Website