Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 8:40 Quote
Demo is a really good point, I'll make sure to give both setups a go before I commit to anything! Mullet is also an interesting idea, if its purpose made like the starling twist I'm all for it but id be worried about messing with geometry too much. I'd have to stick to a 120mm fork if I did do that to keep the axle to crown in check which I'd rather not do

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 10:54 Quote

Scored a 35mm revelation for the ritchey, hoping its stiffer than the 34.

I'll never go back to 27.5

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 16:39 Quote
Any love for my new Stylus build? It's a bit of a mish-mash in terms of spec but I'm pretty stoked. Spent the money where it mattered and didn't where it doesn't.

chromag stylus

chromag stylus

chromag stylus

chromag stylus

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 16:51 Quote
Looks slick..How do you like the Helm forks..?

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 16:56 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
Thanks man. Really like the Helm - have been running it on my Nomad for a few months now. Really progressive with a pretty firm compression tune. Long story short, doesn't dive much and stays pretty high in the stroke, but you wanna charge pretty hard to make the most of it.

It was pretty firm off the top, so I just gave it a service and already it feels more plush. The local suspension centre gurus told me that they service them with Fox 20wt gold and that the first service dramatically improves them so I gave it a go. I'm yet to ride it post-service though (I dropped the travel for this bike build and literally finished the build two hours ago).

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 17:02 Quote
How tall are you? That saddle makes the bars look low even with the stack of spacers under the stem!

Nice looking rig! I am sure you are gonna love it on dirt.

sam264 wrote:
Hammer48 wrote:
Thanks man. Really like the Helm - have been running it on my Nomad for a few months now. Really progressive with a pretty firm compression tune. Long story short, doesn't dive much and stays pretty high in the stroke, but you wanna charge pretty hard to make the most of it.

It was pretty firm off the top, so I just gave it a service and already it feels more plush. The local suspension centre gurus told me that they service them with Fox 20wt gold and that the first service dramatically improves them so I gave it a go. I'm yet to ride it post-service though (I dropped the travel for this bike build and literally finished the build two hours ago).

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 17:22 Quote
onemind123 wrote:
How tall are you? That saddle makes the bars look low even with the stack of spacers under the stem!

Nice looking rig! I am sure you are gonna love it on dirt.

sam264 wrote:
Hammer48 wrote:

I'm about 6ft1 and have disproportionately long legs! All my bikes look like this, haha.

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 20:43 Quote
Any Stylus gets an automatic like from me. I love the red over raw, such a pretty frame.

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 20:49 Quote
dagzin wrote:
mullet.
+1
I've been running my hardtails mullet for 3 years now. I love the huge traction a 27.5x2.8 offers, and the bit of 'compliance' doesnt hurt either on a stiff rear end. 29 inch wheels saved the hardtail IMO, so no way I would give up the roll over ability of the larger 29 wheel especially up front. But for the rear, the 27.5x2.8 doesn't give up too much in terms of roll over, and it returns more in terms of traction and shock absorption.

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 21:30 Quote
BSheldon wrote:
Any Stylus gets an automatic like from me. I love the red over raw, such a pretty frame.
And it looks even better in the flesh!

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 2:13 Quote
ronufoh wrote:
dagzin wrote:
mullet.
+1
I've been running my hardtails mullet for 3 years now. I love the huge traction a 27.5x2.8 offers, and the bit of 'compliance' doesnt hurt either on a stiff rear end. 29 inch wheels saved the hardtail IMO, so no way I would give up the roll over ability of the larger 29 wheel especially up front. But for the rear, the 27.5x2.8 doesn't give up too much in terms of roll over, and it returns more in terms of traction and shock absorption.

Totally my thoughts too

But only if you can get away with it not messing up your geo.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 3:20 Quote
so is a 27,5" hardtail unrideable these days?

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 4:48 Quote
sam264 wrote:
Hammer48 wrote:

Really interested in this, I would love to try one of these on my next build

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 5:29 Quote
My Whyte 901 hack bike finally ride-able again

Finally got a bike back in working order after 2 years of both health and financial issues stopping me riding.
feels good to be back.
cheers all

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 5:30 Quote
funkzander wrote:
so is a 27,5" hardtail unrideable these days?

depens a lot on what you ride I guess.

there is the difference between british and american meaning of "trail"

whereas the former would probably consider something like berms and jumps and the latter something between xc and enduro.

for any sort of smooth built stuff in a trail center 27 would be fun to flick around, but for 40-60km trail rides I'd pick 29er as we got lots of roots and rocks in my local area

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011019
Mobile Version of Website