Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 23:35 Quote
Hi everyone,

I'm rebuilding my BTR and I'm looking for new brakes. I use this bike in quite different environments, from singletrail to bike park, and until now I've had Magura MT5, then Magura with Shimano Zee levers... Magura MT5 behaved very well with the exception of the impact resistance... I was happy with them but I'm kind of thinking of trying something else... I'm looking for some enduro/gravity brakes, I don't like Hope brakes, I don't like their look, and I don't have unlimited budget... I'm curious, what brakes do you use?

Cheers,

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 1:56 Quote
TRP's are pretty good value in nz, enough power and good modulation.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 2:11 Quote
I’ve been using m7000 slx brakes for the past 2 years. Had the usual wandering bite point at first but gave them a good bleed, stuck some semi metallic pads in and put on some 203 rotors front and back. Been faultless ever since and never felt like I’ve needed more. Granted your terrain might be more brutal than what I ride but still I’ve been impressed with them. I was eyeing up some formula curas after seeing some solid reviews. Good power and reasonable price. They look pretty sleek too.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 2:18 Quote
I had magura mt5s, good brakes but wanted something more.. But the same power and modulated, but built better.
Picked up a pair of sram code rsc’s off eBay paired them with trp 42 rotors, I’m happy with them.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 5:35 Quote
red-o wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm rebuilding my BTR and I'm looking for new brakes. I use this bike in quite different environments, from singletrail to bike park, and until now I've had Magura MT5, then Magura with Shimano Zee levers... Magura MT5 behaved very well with the exception of the impact resistance... I was happy with them but I'm kind of thinking of trying something else... I'm looking for some enduro/gravity brakes, I don't like Hope brakes, I don't like their look, and I don't have unlimited budget... I'm curious, what brakes do you use?

Cheers,

Hey Red! I'd definitely recommend Shimano Slx m7000 brakes. Look good and they have the best money/value possible. Period. I use them on one of my hardcore hardtail paired with 180 shimano rt 66 rotors and never had a problem stopping even in the steepest descends - and maybe is worth mentioning that I'm around 90-93kg with gear, so not a light rider. And if you still think those aren't enough, then you can go with the new Slx 4 piston (Slx 7120). You won't be disappointed either way..

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 6:11 Quote
Thank you guys for the feedback! Yes, I have SLX on another trail bike, love them, but I would like a more complying braking for my style... Magura would have been perfect if it had been better built, as Dagzin said... I'm tempted by Sram Code RSC, they are comparable in price with Magura MT7 but I'm afraid they might be a little bit slower compared to Magura?... Rolleyes

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 7:03 Quote
Thanks everyone! I went dual 180s. Stoked to get them on with some Formula Cura brakes.

Ordered the new Canfield Nimble 9. Anyone else here getting one?!

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 8:56 Quote
Yeah, I've ordered one. The old versions got such good reviews and I really want a frame I can swap wheel sizes and try different width tyres. I also got a DVO Beryl fork to go on it too.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 10:49 Quote
Man, been on the fence the past couple of days about the 9.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 13:49 Quote
slope wrote:

On the good or bad side of the fence??

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 14:33 Quote
They look pretty good geo wise now eh.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 15:51 Quote
red-o wrote:
Thank you guys for the feedback! Yes, I have SLX on another trail bike, love them, but I would like a more complying braking for my style... Magura would have been perfect if it had been better built, as Dagzin said... I'm tempted by Sram Code RSC, they are comparable in price with Magura MT7 but I'm afraid they might be a little bit slower compared to Magura?... Rolleyes

Interested to know what you mean by slower?

Having had the mt5, the codes rsc feel pretty much the same, only difference is I can dial in/out the pad contact, which I’ve never had before. Also I’m running thicker rotors at 2.3mm.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 17:53 Quote
dagzin wrote:
red-o wrote:

Having had the mt5, the codes rsc feel pretty much the same, only difference is I can dial in/out the pad contact, which I’ve never had before. Also I’m running thicker rotors at 2.3mm.

SLX's are great, I have 2 pairs that I have had for a long time, and have been great. (one MT7000, one MT675)
I also have the 4 piston deore level brakes (MT520) and they are head and shoulders above the SLX. Crazy power and no more wandering bite point that I have noticed, and cheaper I think too. Only thing i've missed is tool free reach adjust.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 18:00 Quote
barefootdan wrote:
slope wrote:

On the good or bad side of the fence??

Currently have a Yelli Screamy in the quiver which replaced a Nimble 9 so....

Color scheme is not really winning me over either.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 19:43 Quote
dagzin wrote:
red-o wrote:

Maybe i misused the word in english?... not to last too long from the moment you begin to press the brake and until it actually engages...

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008318
Mobile Version of Website