Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Author Message
Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 1:10 Quote
red-o wrote:
dagzin wrote:
red-o wrote:
Thank you guys for the feedback! Yes, I have SLX on another trail bike, love them, but I would like a more complying braking for my style... Magura would have been perfect if it had been better built, as Dagzin said... I'm tempted by Sram Code RSC, they are comparable in price with Magura MT7 but I'm afraid they might be a little bit slower compared to Magura?... Rolleyes

Interested to know what you mean by slower?

Having had the mt5, the codes rsc feel pretty much the same, only difference is I can dial in/out the pad contact, which I’ve never had before. Also I’m running thicker rotors at 2.3mm.

Maybe i misused the word in english?... not to last too long from the moment you begin to press the brake and until it actually engages...

Ah got ya..
Yeah you can change that with the pad contact adjuster

Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 12:54 Quote
Hi guys! I am pretty new here! Totally... "stoked" to find this thread. Already read almost every post since the beginning in 2011 during the last weeks, while building up my new nukeproof scout frame. Just awesome to see all this great hardtails and blabla stuff...!

Anyway, here is mine - yeah, the picture is bad, i am working on it usually when the kids are asleep in the evening/night. Also, it's the very first time i am "building" the whole bike, every component, everything. So it is still not yet done. I can use it for daily commuting(just 3 km), but the fork (Suntour XCR coil) doesnt fit the nukeproof headset, so i have to order a new one. I found a Suntour AION for less than 200€ (almost brand new - is that a term in english?? Wink ). Is it worth a shot? The whole bike is kind of a budget-one. Took all the components from the cannondale cujo 3 i had before. I think it will fit really well. Completely black. Also, i read it is kind of reliable and with a very good performance. Sure, no RS or Fox, but also just a half or less of their price. Exactly what i was looking for.

[PI=https://www.bilder-upload.eu/bild-c53bd3-1580071923.jpg.html][/PI]


Anyway, great to be here and to hopefully share some nice pics and stories!

Posted: Jan 26, 2020 at 13:06 Quote
A4S wrote:
Hi guys! I am pretty new here! Totally... "stoked" to find this thread. Already read almost every post since the beginning in 2011 during the last weeks, while building up my new nukeproof scout frame. Just awesome to see all this great hardtails and blabla stuff...!

Anyway, here is mine - yeah, the picture is bad, i am working on it usually when the kids are asleep in the evening/night. Also, it's the very first time i am "building" the whole bike, every component, everything. So it is still not yet done. I can use it for daily commuting(just 3 km), but the fork (Suntour XCR coil) doesnt fit the nukeproof headset, so i have to order a new one. I found a Suntour AION for less than 200€ (almost brand new - is that a term in english?? Wink ). Is it worth a shot? The whole bike is kind of a budget-one. Took all the components from the cannondale cujo 3 i had before. I think it will fit really well. Completely black. Also, i read it is kind of reliable and with a very good performance. Sure, no RS or Fox, but also just a half or less of their price. Exactly what i was looking for.

[PI=https://www.bilder-upload.eu/bild-c53bd3-1580071923.jpg.html][/PI]


Anyway, great to be here and to hopefully share some nice pics and stories!

Welcome! tup
I think that we all remember the first mtb that we built from components. I certainly remember mine, it was quite daunting! Any way, it turned out very well and I never looked back!
Those Suntour Aion's will be just fine! You can always ugrade them in the future if you feel the need.
Good luck! e look forward to seeing the pics when you are done. Salute

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 0:21 Quote
red-o wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm rebuilding my BTR and I'm looking for new brakes. I use this bike in quite different environments, from singletrail to bike park, and until now I've had Magura MT5, then Magura with Shimano Zee levers... Magura MT5 behaved very well with the exception of the impact resistance... I was happy with them but I'm kind of thinking of trying something else... I'm looking for some enduro/gravity brakes, I don't like Hope brakes, I don't like their look, and I don't have unlimited budget... I'm curious, what brakes do you use?

Cheers,

Try a Trickstuff Brakes, if the diretissima is to expensive, try a Cleg MKII

I’ve ride it Second time, now at my Moxie, got one at a fastforward, and love the modulation ! The power also!

At my BTR I got the hope V4, like it also but the trickstuff with the dächle discs are super great!

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 1:04 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
dagzin wrote:
red-o wrote:
Thank you guys for the feedback! Yes, I have SLX on another trail bike, love them, but I would like a more complying braking for my style... Magura would have been perfect if it had been better built, as Dagzin said... I'm tempted by Sram Code RSC, they are comparable in price with Magura MT7 but I'm afraid they might be a little bit slower compared to Magura?... Rolleyes

Interested to know what you mean by slower?

Having had the mt5, the codes rsc feel pretty much the same, only difference is I can dial in/out the pad contact, which I’ve never had before. Also I’m running thicker rotors at 2.3mm.

SLX's are great, I have 2 pairs that I have had for a long time, and have been great. (one MT7000, one MT675)
I also have the 4 piston deore level brakes (MT520) and they are head and shoulders above the SLX. Crazy power and no more wandering bite point that I have noticed, and cheaper I think too. Only thing i've missed is tool free reach adjust.

As far as the reach adjust goes, would it be possible to fit the tool free part from another shimano lever in where the tooled adjustment screw is? I haven't looked but I imagine it's the same lever but with a thumb screw or a grub screw depending on the model.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 6:16 Quote
rivet-team wrote:
My Whyte 901 hack bike finally ride-able again

Finally got a bike back in working order after 2 years of both health and financial issues stopping me riding.
feels good to be back.
cheers all

That looks real lush

A riiiipe ripper there :-)

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 12:32 Quote
Hi guys!
One more question regarding the fork. The nukeproof hp says "axle to crown" 529 mm. I asked the buyer, his aion fork (140 mm travel) got 555 mm. Is that to much or just right, because it will sag down some mm anyway, as soon as i am on the bike? Or do i just worry to much? Wink

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 16:14 Quote
A4S wrote:
Hi guys!
One more question regarding the fork. The nukeproof hp says "axle to crown" 529 mm. I asked the buyer, his aion fork (140 mm travel) got 555 mm. Is that to much or just right, because it will sag down some mm anyway, as soon as i am on the bike? Or do i just worry to much? Wink

You have the Scout 290 frame? They have a build on Nukeproof site with a 552mm ac fork. I’m going to say it will ride just fine. It will just be more aggressive for those rowdy downhills.

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 10:36 Quote
Built up a Surly Karate Monkey as a winter trailbike. So much fun! The HA could be a degree or two slacker thoWink

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 10:55 Quote
larscha-nsfr wrote:
Built up a Surly Karate Monkey as a winter trailbike. So much fun! The HA could be a degree or two slacker thoWink

Ask and thou shalt receive! Superstar components slackerizer angleset, 50 gbp + 5 gbp shipping.
https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/slackerizer-angle-headset.htm
I have 2 already.

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 14:52 Quote
rynee wrote:
larscha-nsfr wrote:
Built up a Surly Karate Monkey as a winter trailbike. So much fun! The HA could be a degree or two slacker thoWink

Ask and thou shalt receive! Superstar components slackerizer angleset, 50 gbp + 5 gbp shipping.
https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/slackerizer-angle-headset.htm
I have 2 already.

Don't think just do it! You can't go wrong with some more slackness.

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 17:11 Quote
larscha-nsfr wrote:
Built up a Surly Karate Monkey as a winter trailbike. So much fun! The HA could be a degree or two slacker thoWink

Lovely! Agreed on how it should be a bit slacker.

I've recently put plus tires on mine. Trail testing this weekend, can't wait.


Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 20:34 Quote
Good lookin' Surly's fellas!!

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 22:34 Quote
fielonator wrote:
rynee wrote:
larscha-nsfr wrote:
Built up a Surly Karate Monkey as a winter trailbike. So much fun! The HA could be a degree or two slacker thoWink
Ask and thou shalt receive! Superstar components slackerizer angleset, 50 gbp + 5 gbp shipping.
https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/slackerizer-angle-headset.htm
I have 2 already.

Don't think just do it! You can't go wrong with some more slackness.

... that bottom bracket will sit a tad lower too, and the seat tube angle will steepen. Only good things coming from the angle set Smile don't be scared of the installation process, I put the headset cups in the freezer overnight, used grease generously, and lined a string from the seat tube to the head tube to mark the center line on the frame. The headset cups come with marks as well, so you can line them up properly.

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 6:05 Quote
Anyone running Vibrocore bars on their hardtail? Also Rev Grips what is the difference between the Pro and Race series?

I am having arm pump issues on rocky downhills and I am hoping those will help a little.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009434
Mobile Version of Website