Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 20:04 Quote
piman wrote:
You all are a bunch of bad influences. I'm gonna ride them as they are in case I need to warranty them. Might try this trick next season though.....

Anyone care to share a picture of their results?
These were some badly beaten older xt cranks, used oven cleaner and steel wool, this is the 5th bike they are being used on, think I've had them since 08, Still beating these things up .
photo

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 20:07 Quote
BSheldon wrote:
metaam wrote:
photo

Bling bling. Anyone have pics of a set of GX cranks with this treatment? I have an inclination that the Shimanos polish up better.

Aluminum will polish up the same with enough elbow grease.

Sometimes the ano stays in porus areas, but using 3 or 4 different grits of wet sandpaper up to 2k grit followed by mothers polish makes em gorgeous.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 20:15 Quote
Alright looks like I've got a lil project at some point then

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 20:45 Quote
Bumbed my XT cranks have a bend spindle now.. This would be a great quarantine project.

Maybe I'll pull a set of Zees off the downhill bike and try..

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 20:47 Quote
piman wrote:
Alright looks like I've got a lil project at some point then

Me too man, my bike doesn't even get here until Monday and already with this.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 0:36 Quote
hell yeah those polished xt cranks look great! i have a set of beaten up black ones in the shed. thanks for the inspiration.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 3:14 Quote
Sirflyingv wrote:
Awesome Chromag! Guys, do you feel the same that DVO green color is cool by itself but hardly combines with nearly anything?

Get some custom blue decals made.
https://stickersdecalsgraphics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/blue-dvo-diamond-27.png

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 3:16 Quote
E13s also come up pretty good. Apologies for the unsightly pivot behind the cranks, I know it isn't appropriate for this thread.

photo

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 3:19 Quote
commental wrote:
E13s also come up pretty good. Apologies for the unsightly pivot behind the cranks, I know it isn't appropriate for this thread.

photo

How did you remove the powder coat?

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 3:22 Quote
It was anodising, rather than powder coat, I soaked them in caustic soda. Caution; if you do this keep a good eye on them as if you leave them in too long they'll start to disintegrate.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 3:23 Quote
commental wrote:
It was anodising, rather than powder coat, I soaked them in caustic soda. Caution; if you do this keep a good eye on them as if you leave them in too long they'll start to disintegrate.

Ahh ok, have done that before. Didnt like it, but seems like its my only option.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 16:39 Quote
Will4X wrote:
My Saints...

Saint M800 Crank Post Polish

Really nice.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 0:00 Quote
It's weird how the white decals on Shimano cranks turn black when you strip the anodising, I guess it's something to do with the process of stamping them on when they're manufactured.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 6:57 Quote
commental wrote:
It's weird how the white decals on Shimano cranks turn black when you strip the anodising, I guess it's something to do with the process of stamping them on when they're manufactured.

The paint isn’t affected the same as ano. It eventually strips the paint but while is removing the ano the paint protects the ano beneath it. I have some Easton Havoc bars that had white graphics. Bars are silver now with orange ano graphics. I ended up leaving it since it was so unique....

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023317
Mobile Version of Website