Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: May 22, 2020 at 1:05 Quote
slope wrote:
slaker wrote:
expertfailure wrote:
Dooooo it.
Part of me wants to simplify and get down to one bike. Sell my Stantons and the Surface and get the rootdown..... But the Stantons are so fun and totally love the Surface so I'm stuck....

There's worse problems to have.

How many Stantons are we talking?

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 1:24 Quote
Found an old memory card with a few potato pics of a frame I miss - Evil DOC, would be 2008ish I think?
Insanely short by today's standards, but HA would have been about 66° with the Pike wound out to the full 140mm (giving a STA of circa 67°, plus the layback post for trail riding to cope with the rather short reach lol ).
Built up with an original Pike coil, XT 1x9, Hope M4s, Thomson post, Mavic EX721s on Hopes etc. I loved this thing.
One of those frames that just felt great to be on. Kinda wish I still had it to build into a little pump-track / messing around bike.
My (now closed) LBS was still servicing it for the guy that bought it from me, as at 2018.

Ye olde Evil DOC - potato pics found on an old memory card.
Ye olde Evil DOC - potato pics found on an old memory card.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 1:40 Quote
Nice! I've got one of those pikes in the garage. Coil u-turn was brilliant. Damper might as well have not been there though.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 3:48 Quote
slaker wrote:
expertfailure wrote:
Dooooo it.
Part of me wants to simplify and get down to one bike. Sell my Stantons and the Surface and get the rootdown..... But the Stantons are so fun and totally love the Surface so I'm stuck....

Keep all the above ^^

Save up & buy yourself a susser frame bro (clearly, there isn't any rush!) , you have been threatening to do so for some time! You truly deserve the choice of riding both , whether it be the conditions alone that dictate the ride.
Apply your knowledge of what you need into a perfect machine for where you ride.
Seriously, it won't diminish on hardtail riding one jot. If anything, it will add to the already high stoke.
You descend and ascend biblical amounts out riding, yes, you will notice the extra heft on climbs, probably making technical sections trickier too .. but, these will translate sweetly into new skills, honing old skills. Big doses of FUN on the downs, new lines bro(!) and a quieter ride lol
Susser is a great addition to the Surface, choice really is where it's at.

It won't cost as much as you might expect, you might even consider a coil rear to keep expenditure & maintenance low.

We love hardtails here, no question, you especially so, letting a susser off the brakes is a blast, a hoot, an absolute riot!!!!!

It won't be a dusty ride in the corner of the cabin that gets ridden a handful of times, moreso a designated ripper begging to be ridden - man, you could build your own specific trails for it even.. which, I know will appeal to you

I could rant on, but reckon the seed is now sown

Now out for a ride here, I am gonna walk clean past my susser & take out a hardtail today, particularly sweet section I have dreamt about needs riding hat ought to test my mettle.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 6:27 Quote
slaker wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
On the Stanton frames, do they use 135mm rear spacing for single speed setup?
They have swap out drop outs, You can go single speed, QR, 135 or boost depending on swap out you get, I assume the spacing on the ss swap out is 135.

I wish Stanton would upgrade their singlespeed dropouts with sliders like the Honzo. Adjustable rear and singlespeedable is a win win IMHO. Does anyone dislike having sliders on their geared hardtail?

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 7:19 Quote
boomshot007 wrote:
slaker wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
On the Stanton frames, do they use 135mm rear spacing for single speed setup?
They have swap out drop outs, You can go single speed, QR, 135 or boost depending on swap out you get, I assume the spacing on the ss swap out is 135.

I wish Stanton would upgrade their singlespeed dropouts with sliders like the Honzo. Adjustable rear and singlespeedable is a win win IMHO. Does anyone dislike having sliders on their geared hardtail?

I'm not a fan of that. For me the less moving parts the best, something less to be concerned.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 8:27 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
slaker wrote:
expertfailure wrote:
Dooooo it.

Keep all the above ^^

Save up & buy yourself a susser frame bro (clearly, there isn't any rush!) , you have been threatening to do so for some time! You truly deserve the choice of riding both , whether it be the conditions alone that dictate the ride.
Apply your knowledge of what you need into a perfect machine for where you ride.
Seriously, it won't diminish on hardtail riding one jot. If anything, it will add to the already high stoke.
You descend and ascend biblical amounts out riding, yes, you will notice the extra heft on climbs, probably making technical sections trickier too .. but, these will translate sweetly into new skills, honing old skills. Big doses of FUN on the downs, new lines bro(!) and a quieter ride lol
Susser is a great addition to the Surface, choice really is where it's at.

It won't cost as much as you might expect, you might even consider a coil rear to keep expenditure & maintenance low.

We love hardtails here, no question, you especially so, letting a susser off the brakes is a blast, a hoot, an absolute riot!!!!!

It won't be a dusty ride in the corner of the cabin that gets ridden a handful of times, moreso a designated ripper begging to be ridden - man, you could build your own specific trails for it even.. which, I know will appeal to you

I could rant on, but reckon the seed is now sown

Now out for a ride here, I am gonna walk clean past my susser & take out a hardtail today, particularly sweet section I have dreamt about needs riding hat ought to test my mettle.
Coincidental that my buddy was trying hard to sell me his Marin Mount Vision super cheap yesterday..... I told him there is no way I would consider it, the fricking thing looks like an E-Bike......

O+
Posted: May 22, 2020 at 8:50 Quote
So dreaming about a rebuild of my 2019 Ragley Big Wig into a different frame. The big thing I want from my next frame is shorter chainstays and sliding dropouts to run single speed. I want to have a threaded BB, 31.6mm seatpost, sliding boost dropouts that range from sub 420mm slammed to somewhere at least somewhere around 430mm at fully back, 475-485mm reach, 140-150mm forks, two bottle mounts and easily removable shifter housing (so no internal routing and not routing where I have to remove the shifter cable from the derailleur). I want to be able to just un-bolt the derailleur and shifter and take it all off without having to readjust the cable when I switch back and forth between geared and single speed.

Are there any frames that match this or would I need to go custom?

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 9:07 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
So dreaming about a rebuild of my 2019 Ragley Big Wig into a different frame. The big thing I want from my next frame is shorter chainstays and sliding dropouts to run single speed. I want to have a threaded BB, 31.6mm seatpost, sliding boost dropouts that range from sub 420mm slammed to somewhere at least somewhere around 430mm at fully back, 475-485mm reach, 140-150mm forks, two bottle mounts and easily removable shifter housing (so no internal routing and not routing where I have to remove the shifter cable from the derailleur). I want to be able to just un-bolt the derailleur and shifter and take it all off without having to readjust the cable when I switch back and forth between geared and single speed.

RSD Middle Child. You'll have to get 30.9 dropper.
Oh, and "only" one bottle mount. Everything else is exactly what you asked for.

O+
Posted: May 22, 2020 at 9:13 Quote
Speaking of, here is my parts bin RSD sergeant v1 in covid mode. The wife doesn't want me riding my squishy bike anymore because I crash too much so I am on my hardtail and made it singlespeed to add a new challenge on the same old trails.

photo

O+
Posted: May 22, 2020 at 10:09 Quote
AndriyR wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:

RSD Middle Child. You'll have to get 30.9 dropper.
Oh, and "only" one bottle mount. Everything else is exactly what you asked for.

The 31.6mm would be nice since I already have a dropper post that size but not a deal breaker. I could probably use some King Cage USBs to add another bottle under the downtube.

Are the cables zip tied on?

O+
Posted: May 22, 2020 at 10:26 Quote
On my RSD it was clips on the seatstay but ties under the TT. It looks like newer models have clips under the TT too.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 11:01 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:

What price range? If it matters to you..

Also, you must have found some bikes that fit the bill already ??

Mod
Posted: May 22, 2020 at 11:13 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:

What price range? If it matters to you..

Also, you must have found some bikes that fit the bill already ??

Aside from external routing these were my criteria for my fuse.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.072356
Mobile Version of Website