Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: May 22, 2020 at 11:44 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
So dreaming about a rebuild of my 2019 Ragley Big Wig into a different frame. The big thing I want from my next frame is shorter chainstays and sliding dropouts to run single speed. I want to have a threaded BB, 31.6mm seatpost, sliding boost dropouts that range from sub 420mm slammed to somewhere at least somewhere around 430mm at fully back, 475-485mm reach, 140-150mm forks, two bottle mounts and easily removable shifter housing (so no internal routing and not routing where I have to remove the shifter cable from the derailleur). I want to be able to just un-bolt the derailleur and shifter and take it all off without having to readjust the cable when I switch back and forth between geared and single speed.

Are there any frames that match this or would I need to go custom?

What price range? If it matters to you..

Also, you must have found some bikes that fit the bill already ??

Sub-$1000 would be nice. I have been looking around and I have seen some close. The RSD MiddleChild and the Mk1 Pipedream Moxie are close but only have one bottle cage. I can work around that though. The Nimble 9 isn't quite as slack as I would want.

Really what I want is a Big Wig with shorter chainstays that has sliding dropouts and a second bottle cage. I forgot it say it has to be steel.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 12:32 Quote
If you know that is exactly what you require from your bike, go custom

Can't find anything that fits the bill ..but, someone else may well do just that .. possibly an obvious choice!

Edit: 44bikes Marauder custom? Dudes bikes are sick ..but probably over the $pend limit

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 12:43 Quote
Soupherb wrote:

Can't find anything that fits the bill ..but, someone else may well do just that

Edit: 44bikes Marauder custom? Dudes bikes are sick ..but probably over the $pend limit

I mean the Myth Cycles Slaypnir is extremely close (a touch more BB drop would be nice but isn't the end of the world) but $1699 for a frame is probably out of my reach...

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 12:53 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
Soupherb wrote:

Can't find anything that fits the bill ..but, someone else may well do just that

I mean the Myth Cycles Slaypnir is extremely close (a touch more BB drop would be nice but isn't the end of the world) but $1699 for a frame is probably out of my reach...

Yeah man, that's a lot of dollar

Marino - with upgraded tubing? Reynolds 725

Good luck, intrigued with finding something now!

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 13:49 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
Soupherb wrote:

Yeah man, that's a lot of dollar

Marino - with upgraded tubing? Reynolds 725

Good luck, intrigued with finding something now!

Marino will do 725 now I hear Wink

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 14:07 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:

Sub-$1000 would be nice. I have been looking around and I have seen some close. The RSD MiddleChild and the Mk1 Pipedream Moxie are close but only have one bottle cage. I can work around that though. The Nimble 9 isn't quite as slack as I would want.

Really what I want is a Big Wig with shorter chainstays that has sliding dropouts and a second bottle cage. I forgot it say it has to be steel.

An angleset is an option for the Nimble 9

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 14:32 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
So dreaming about a rebuild of my 2019 Ragley Big Wig into a different frame. The big thing I want from my next frame is shorter chainstays and sliding dropouts to run single speed. I want to have a threaded BB, 31.6mm seatpost, sliding boost dropouts that range from sub 420mm slammed to somewhere at least somewhere around 430mm at fully back, 475-485mm reach, 140-150mm forks, two bottle mounts and easily removable shifter housing (so no internal routing and not routing where I have to remove the shifter cable from the derailleur). I want to be able to just un-bolt the derailleur and shifter and take it all off without having to readjust the cable when I switch back and forth between geared and single speed.

Are there any frames that match this or would I need to go custom?

The pipedream moxie almost ticks all boxes: only 1 bottle cage, chainstays sliding from 425-441

https://www.pipedreamcycles.com/shop/moxie/

https://www.pipedreamcycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Moxie-The-Full-Moxie-Data-Sheet.pdf?v=79cba1185463

Maybe they can even accommodate your needs for a second pair of bottle bosses.

Or of course a large honzo st (cs 415-435) with a 2° angle set to accommodate the longer fork, and a pair of clamp on bottle holders/bosses. I think problem solvers produce those.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 14:34 Quote
Wolftooth B-Rad ..

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 0:02 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
slaker wrote:
expertfailure wrote:
Dooooo it.
Part of me wants to simplify and get down to one bike. Sell my Stantons and the Surface and get the rootdown..... But the Stantons are so fun and totally love the Surface so I'm stuck....

Keep all the above ^^

Save up & buy yourself a susser frame bro (clearly, there isn't any rush!) , you have been threatening to do so for some time! You truly deserve the choice of riding both , whether it be the conditions alone that dictate the ride.
Apply your knowledge of what you need into a perfect machine for where you ride.
Seriously, it won't diminish on hardtail riding one jot. If anything, it will add to the already high stoke.
You descend and ascend biblical amounts out riding, yes, you will notice the extra heft on climbs, probably making technical sections trickier too .. but, these will translate sweetly into new skills, honing old skills. Big doses of FUN on the downs, new lines bro(!) and a quieter ride lol
Susser is a great addition to the Surface, choice really is where it's at.

It won't cost as much as you might expect, you might even consider a coil rear to keep expenditure & maintenance low.

We love hardtails here, no question, you especially so, letting a susser off the brakes is a blast, a hoot, an absolute riot!!!!!

It won't be a dusty ride in the corner of the cabin that gets ridden a handful of times, moreso a designated ripper begging to be ridden - man, you could build your own specific trails for it even.. which, I know will appeal to you

I could rant on, but reckon the seed is now sown

Now out for a ride here, I am gonna walk clean past my susser & take out a hardtail today, particularly sweet section I have dreamt about needs riding hat ought to test my mettle.

I thought I'd gone to one bike only with my HT; but after 3 years wanted another full susser. Starling Swoop ordered and currently deciding on which coil. Actually I know, I just can't bring myself to press the EXT Storia button! Lol At least it won't be a full build, I'll swap everything over - HT autum/winter FS Spring/Summer.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 0:08 Quote
kwapik wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:

An angleset is an option for the Nimble 9

Check out a 2020 Kona unit. I run mine with a 140 fork. Slider drops, mega bottle cages... feels similar to my Big wig. Comes with ss drops and gear drops... and costs like 500$ frame and fork reynolds 520. Plus you can stuff 29x3.0 tires in it. Its a seriously fun frame and super versatile.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 5:27 Quote
matther01 wrote:
Soupherb wrote:
slaker wrote:
Part of me wants to simplify and get down to one bike. Sell my Stantons and the Surface and get the rootdown..... But the Stantons are so fun and totally love the Surface so I'm stuck....

Keep all the above ^^

Save up & buy yourself a susser frame bro (

I thought I'd gone to one bike only with my HT; but after 3 years wanted another full susser. Starling Swoop ordered and currently deciding on which coil. Actually I know, I just can't bring myself to press the EXT Storia button! Lol At least it won't be a full build, I'll swap everything over - HT autum/winter FS Spring/Summer.

Congrats on new bike! Whoop Swoop!

Thinking of reducing my bikes down a bit, gently easing out the old for new

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 0:31 Quote
Views: 174    Faves: 1    Comments: 0

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 8:14 Quote
slaker wrote:

If anyone asks me what a slack hardtail can handle I will be referring them to this video.

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 13:21 Quote
slaker wrote:

Powerful riding dude! Epic trails. Love the rocks and trees and steepy steepness!

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 13:35 Quote
A4S wrote:
slaker wrote:

Powerful riding dude! Epic trails. Love the rocks and trees and steepy steepness!
Thanks mate ! Yes really steep off camber fun, extra dry conditions made for some sketchiness.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012685
Mobile Version of Website