Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 12:22 Quote
commental wrote:
jrkoenig wrote:
Not sure this qualifies as aggressive with 66.5 degree HTA, but thought I'd throw it up here

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/18825163/
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/18825403/

Personally even by today's standards I would consider 66.5 to be on the aggressive side of things.

Initially I was going to go with a 120 or 130mm fork, but with budget in mind I only found this 140 Pike. It did up the BB and decrease the HTA but I still think it climbs well.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 13:00 Quote
red-o wrote:
I'm slowly rebuilding my Ranger... new tires, brakes and maybe gears still to come...

photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

Sweeet!!! What stem is that? OneUp?

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 14:38 Quote
such a fun day aboard Master Splinter

Latest installment of the small jumps Fat man series...

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 19:03 Quote
jrkoenig wrote:
Sweeet!!! What stem is that? OneUp?

Yes, it's a 35mm OneUp.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 23:39 Quote
nullzwo wrote:
let's see if i can make this photo embedding thing happen...

four iterations of the same bike.
photo
2016 first build: totem coil, saint brakes and deetraks. 38.6 lbs.
photo
2017 second build: lyrik coil, dropper post, stiffy 40 al wheelset, 35.3 lbs
photo

2019 third build: pike, dt swiss m1600 wheelset (now in 27.5"), 31.5 lbs
photo

2020 fourth build: bos dizzy, singlespeed, xc tires, 27.6 lbs
from a freeride hardtail to a singlespeed trail slayer. still takes a good beating Big Grin

Cool man. Did you have to change out the rear dropouts to fit a 27.5 or was their already ample enough tyre/wheel clearance?

Mod
Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 5:45 Quote
jrkoenig wrote:
kwapik wrote:
jrkoenig wrote:
Not sure this qualifies as aggressive with 66.5 degree HTA, but thought I'd throw it up here

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/18825163/
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/18825403/

photo
photo

Ya ok I out myself as a jerry - I couldn’t get the pics to show up ???? - thanks!

Nice rig, we were all Jerry's at one time.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 6:43 Quote
red-o wrote:
I'm slowly rebuilding my Ranger... new tires, brakes and maybe gears still to come...

photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

Amazing looking bike. Are you running it with the recommended 120mm travel? Im super interested in the ranger frame, but im wondering just how capable it is at the more gnarly stuff? BTR are marketing it as an enduro bike. Could this realistically handle bike parks and the more serious stuff?

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 7:10 Quote
Thanks! I'm running her with 130mm now, after one year with 120mm. 120mm were too little for me, 130mm are more suited... 10 more mm would be better for some trails I am riding but I'm ok with that... I still want to climb steep terrain and 140mm would be a little bit too much... 130mm travel create a more linear ride, I rode her through bikeparks and singletrails from Bulgaria to Austria and it's perfect for everything but big jumps. Other than that it is an incredible, fast experience, on some trails even faster than you want... but if you want to hit really serious stuff I recommend you to look at Belter...

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 7:28 Quote
[Quote="isaacschmidt"]
jrkoenig wrote:
kwapik wrote:
I]

Ya ok I out myself as a jerry - I couldn’t get the pics to show up ???? - thanks!

Unless you are a Jerry's kid.

Mod
Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 7:50 Quote
[Quote="slaker"]
isaacschmidt wrote:
jrkoenig wrote:

Unless you are a Jerry's kid.
Sounds like a tough spot...

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 8:35 Quote
streetkvnt-kvlt wrote:

Cool man. Did you have to change out the rear dropouts to fit a 27.5 or was their already ample enough tyre/wheel clearance?

nope, works with the same set of dropouts - although it gets harder to find wheels in 135 mm hub width. i think it works better with 27.5" but it could as well be the weight loss.

Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 12:43 Quote
prancisfena wrote:
TibZ wrote:
noah-noahEone wrote:

I’m worried about how slacks your son’s seat tube angle is. He won’t be able to climb anything with that.

Good one Big Grin

lol

@ryan198232 It's a 460mm seat tube - my previous bike had a 420 seat tube so this one is a better fit. I'm using a One Up 170mm dropper - considering the 210mm v2 but not sure if it'll fit.

@expertfailure thanks man! Initially wasn't sure if the green would go well with Marino's "gun metal gray" - glad it did. Paint (powder coat) looks even better up close.

@wcr riding difference is significant. I'm 5'10 (long arms and legs) but I went with a medium Karate Monkey. Loved the thing but always felt like it was too small for me. If I had gone with a Large I might not have gotten the Marino. I appreciate the difference in reach (480 on this vs 420ish on the KM). Both feel zippy but the Marino feels like it'll go faster down a hill due to the slack angles but does feel less poppy due to the length (it's a 4" longer wheelbase).

Which is tube set did you go with? If Reynolds 725 did you weigh it?

Posted: Jun 11, 2020 at 13:55 Quote
[Quote="ryan198232"]
prancisfena wrote:
Waited a while but seeing it built up made it worth it. Another bonus was that it was the first bike a got to build from the frame up - moved parts from my Karate Monkey to the Marino.

Brought it to the shop for some niggles - ie cut cables, bleed brakes, do a once over on the drivetrain (since I did a shit job). Added a new XT crank on it and it's done:

r

Did you keep your geo chart? I have been playing around with geo tools, looking at cotic and the pole tavail for inspiration.

Looks amazing!

Posted: Jun 11, 2020 at 23:35 Quote
Bigblob123 wrote:
red-o wrote:

Amazing looking bike. Are you running it with the recommended 120mm travel? Im super interested in the ranger frame, but im wondering just how capable it is at the more gnarly stuff? BTR are marketing it as an enduro bike. Could this realistically handle bike parks and the more serious stuff?

I'm running 120 mm on my BTR, and I really have to say that I'm sold on the concept of shorter travel fork on a hardtail.
I've been running all the steep and nasty stuff that I do on my full susser on it, just takes a little more time and more focus on picking the right line.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.030186
Mobile Version of Website