Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 21:23 Quote
rynee wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
Me and my Bruiser are in a vidja
Views: 281    Faves: 6    Comments: 0

Very nice show of bike skills, and great choice of music, I really enjoyed watching that. The location looks great as well. Which bikes are you folks on?

I'm on my Stout Bikes custom frame. Most recent picture I have:
photo
Scmalex is on his Pace,
2020 Pace RC529 XL Single Speed
Is it presumptuous of me to post his bike for him?

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 5:57 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
Me and my Bruiser are in a vidja
Views: 281    Faves: 6    Comments: 0

Yes!!! Finally...good music and no POV footage. Well done.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 6:59 Quote
Hey floks,

some eye-watering bikes are shown here and I really like this thread. Don´t want to crush it but probably some of you could help me out with info´s, links, ...

I am looking for a Trail-Hardtail - something like a Kona Honzo, Santa Cruz Chameleon, ... so something playful, bmx-like with ultra-short chainstays and 29" wheels - but I am picck so I don´t find the perfect frame. I am interested in either a perfect match of a serial frame or a good and affordable tip for a custom frame.

I thought the updated Honzo DL could be this match (probably slightly underforking to 130mm) but the actual seat angle is just too steep - I am sitting too high, too much forwarded. I don´t have thousands of altitude meters in my nearby. Instead I am living in rolling terrain with 50 - 70m altitude meters of climb and then some interesting downhills so a more xc-oriented position is appreciated
Here is a pic of the bike:
photo

A lot of things to like - fork works good, lot´s of tire clearance (29 x 2,6 should be no porblem, adjustable drop outs, good looking) but the seat angle is for my use too steep. Are there saddles with very long rails available (so that I can put the saddle way more backwards?) Also a lot of things to change like Brakes, drivetrain, wheels, ... so this bike won´t find its place in my garage.

Here is what I am looking for:
HA: 65 - 66° (not that important as you can adjust it easily)
SA: 73,5 - 75! (really depending on how steep it is in real - so I prefer a more aggressive, xc orientated riding position)
CS: 415 - 420 (so please - ultrashort for ultra-fun)
Reach: 460 - 480mm
BB-Drop: 60 - 65mm
Wheel Size: 29" (perfectly up to 2.6")
frame weight: below 2kg

I am 5'10 (1,78m) with long legs and arms so the ape factor is huge

Like I said - don´t want to crush this fred but do appreciate some tips.
Thank´s in advance and ride on!
Tobias

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 8:22 Quote
The best option would be to go custom with someone who knows mtbs really well, and has similar riding to where you live.

An over forked XL honzo would tick most of your boxes. Over forking would slacken the seat tube angle half a degree for every 10mm. It would also bring the reach back ~5mm for every 10mm.

I’m 5 11 with long arms and legs (800mm saddle height), I wouldn’t look at any bike with less then 490mm of reach. You’ll feel so cramped up on a 460mm reach bike.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 9:05 Quote
curbwzrd wrote:
The best option would be to go custom with someone who knows mtbs really well, and has similar riding to where you live.

An over forked XL honzo would tick most of your boxes. Over forking would slacken the seat tube angle half a degree for every 10mm. It would also bring the reach back ~5mm for every 10mm.

I’m 5 11 with long arms and legs (800mm saddle height), I wouldn’t look at any bike with less then 490mm of reach. You’ll feel so cramped up on a 460mm reach bike.
Unrelated but are you coming back to Alberta any time soon? Miss riding BMX bikes with you dude

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 9:24 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
curbwzrd wrote:

Unrelated but are you coming back to Alberta any time soon? Miss riding BMX bikes with you dude

Really hoping to make it out to Canmore in the summer. If things go to plan, I’ll have my park bike and gravel or xc bike. We’ll have to link up!

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 9:48 Quote
curbwzrd wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
curbwzrd wrote:

Really hoping to make it out to Canmore in the summer. If things go to plan, I’ll have my park bike and gravel or xc bike. We’ll have to link up!
I'm game for bikes of any shape honestly!

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 11:22 Quote
This is the first bike that I have ever seen that looks cool with white tyres! Big Grin

Sweet Pace but I do wish they would drop their top tubes a little, They are still a tad gateish even in 2021!

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 11:43 Quote
Charge262 wrote:
Here's my new build after moving on the P7.

Mah new Marin El Roy
Nice build, what is the head angle now, If it was 63° with a 140 fork it must be getting pretty slack with the 160!?

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 11:58 Quote
curbwzrd wrote:
I think to say that he would definitely be too cramped on a 460mm reach at 5'10" is a bit hyperbolic given that it's a matter of preference. I'm 6'1 with a 6'5 wingspan and after experimenting with a variety of reaches (445-490mm), I've decided that my favourite combination for most purposes is 460mm reach with a 50mm stem.

It really just depends on what you're looking for in a bike, and considering the type of bikes he threw out there (Chameleon, Honzo) and the fact that he's looking for "something playful, bmx-like with ultra-short chainstays", I would say that erring on the side of shorter reach might actually be the way to go. Especially because the effective reach of a hardtail actually increases with sag.

I agree that 490mm reach feels very comfortable when standing and cornering, but the wheelbase starts getting pretty long and the bike doesn't feel as playful at that length. Again, it just comes down to what your personal preference is! Not trying to ruffle any feathers and it's good to get a variety of opinions before pulling the trigger Salute .

Sick video Buggy!!

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 13:13 Quote
Natyork wrote:
Charge262 wrote:
Here's my new build after moving on the P7.

Mah new Marin El Roy
Nice build, what is the head angle now, If it was 63° with a 140 fork it must be getting pretty slack with the 160!?

Haven’t measured it but around 62 I imagine.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 14:00 Quote
Head tube and seat tube angles will change by half a degree for every 10mm of axle to crown added / subtracted.

Reach is reduced by ~5mm for every 10mm added under the stem, either through headset spacers or longer forks.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 15:05 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
This is the first bike that I have ever seen that looks cool with white tyres! Big Grin

Sweet Pace but I do wish they would drop their top tubes a little, They are still a tad gateish even in 2021!
Really nice.
I was lucky enough to own a Pace RC-200 when I was young 20 years ago.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 15:20 Quote
Bitelio wrote:
wythall1 wrote:

Really nice.
I was lucky enough to own a Pace RC-200 when I was young 20 years ago.

Oh, Please. 42 isn't old unless you let it be... Nice bike!

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 9:46 Quote
wythall1 wrote:

Is that an oval chainring with a single speed set up? how does that work without a tensioner?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.025779
Mobile Version of Website