Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 23:30 Quote
Hold on, y’all can’t only do abs and not work the muscles in your back. Sit ups aren’t very good for your back. Do some rowing, Superman’s, and pull ups.

Other good core exercises would be pallof press, planks and other dynamic plank variations, and other resistance core exercises. Emphasis on resistance and not contractions. Your cores main purpose is to resist forces.

Gotta get those lats and traps activated boys.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 2:31 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
freestyIAM wrote:

Color me surprised. I remember the chain tension varying noticeably on my fixie just from the cheap wobbly chainring, so I assumed the change in tension produced by an oval ring would be even more pronounced. Nice to know that this isn't a limitation.
right, it's very deceptive.

It works flawless on singlespeed with all sorts of modern oval chainrings. I used Rotor and Hope ovals in the past and use AB now. Never encounter any issues or loss a chain.

That said, there are two things to mind:

1) The actual chain tension can vary a lot more than in the AB video when you don't run any sort of tensioner. It's just that it doesn't really matter on the trail. As long as you keep on pedalling, you won't loose the chain, no matter how slack the lower half of the chain. And when you coast with crank arms in very roughly level position, all modern oval chainrings will give you about 75% or more of maximum chain tension. That is plenty to avoid chain loss.

2) Just because it works fine on a singlespeed with freewheel does not mean it would work on a fixed gear setup. It feels more than awkward when slowing down and difference in chain tension is big enough to get you into nasty trouble once you try to skid.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 11:32 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
There's very little variance in tension, I believe Absolute Black did a study on the subject.

Correct. I have the one up oval combined with a surly cog on my honzo, works great. Using the same chain since 2 years now, no issues.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 13:35 Quote
rosemarywheel wrote:
Will do!

That actually looks entertaining.

I'm 42 and have issues with lapsed disc's since 4 years. Doing consistent body weight training (not only abs but entire body, I highly recommend Marc Lauren's "you are your own gym") plus cycling almost daily and running (trail preferred to road), helps me keep it under control and be pain free 95% of the time. The good thing about Marc Lauren's programs is that they are rotating thru different types of exercises, not the same all the time. Which is good for motivation and also muscle build - muscles also get used to exercises quickly which leads to diminishing effects if you do the same exercise over and over again.
Good luck!

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 15:00 Quote
rynee wrote:
rosemarywheel wrote:
Will do!

That actually looks entertaining.

I'm 42 and have issues with lapsed disc's since 4 years. Doing consistent body weight training (not only abs but entire body, I highly recommend Marc Lauren's "you are your own gym") plus cycling almost daily and running (trail preferred to road), helps me keep it under control and be pain free 95% of the time. The good thing about Marc Lauren's programs is that they are rotating thru different types of exercises, not the same all the time. Which is good for motivation and also muscle build - muscles also get used to exercises quickly which leads to diminishing effects if you do the same exercise over and over again.
Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions, Mate! I will look into those, and I have already wanted to do trail running it looks like fun as opposed to running along a straight road or the like.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 21:49 Quote
I once read, that the only Thing you can do to Support your Back (and by that probably avoid pain when getting older) ist to strengthen your muscles by exercises (calisthenics, Gym, Freeletics, whatever, exercises for your Back to build up your muscles). You cannot train your Spine or any other Bones, so better Hit it! Aye! I am doing so since 7 years and never Had any pain, but i am Just 37. So nothing ist proven yet...

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 21:54 Quote
Btw: swimming ist excellent for your back, too, in Case you dont like gym or other exercises Like that ..

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 22:32 Quote
That’s cause in order to be efficient at all while swimming you need your core to be as stiff as possible, resisting wiggle.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 1:46 Quote
rosemarywheel wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, Mate! I will look into those, and I have already wanted to do trail running it looks like fun as opposed to running along a straight road or the like.

You're welcome. I very much prefer trail running, it's better for the joints, it's better training for the muscles and sinews especially in the feet and ankles (due to the uneven terrain), and you get to experience the surrounding landscape in a more intense way than on the bike. And on top of that you maybe find some new trails that are also interesting for riding.

One note regarding body weight training: in my experience, this does provide for a lean and accentuated body (if you keep your calorie intake at a reasonable level), but it does not necessarily build huge muscle mass, as no additional weight is involved other than your own (obviously). I believe if building mass is your goal, crossfit would be more appropriate.

Mod Plus
Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 6:08 Quote
A4S wrote:
Btw: swimming ist excellent for your back, too, in Case you dont like gym or other exercises Like that ..
Swimming is great, before lockdown and closure of things I was doing 2-3000m each morning as my gym was just a couple minutes away. For the sake of Topic.
Probably the last image in this state, I've got some eeWings on the way, and deliberating on a Ti frame or real light weight fully, and I think switching to MT8's

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 6:24 Quote
That's impressive you must be fit as hell then, 3k swimming is no joke

Mod Plus
Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 6:29 Quote
It was usually 50-55 minutes before I ended it - so not very fast, technique was a work in progress. I float well, have a high aerobic capacity and am stubborn.

I make stupid monthly volume goals, and then end up suffering as a result. Before lockdown I was on pace to hit 1M meters in 2020, but then everything fell apart. Still something I'd like to do, just not sure when I'll be able to.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 6:35 Quote
Well even in falling short of reaching that goal you've still done something worth doing. Adding gym and biking to the equation sounds a lot of work but I guess it pays dividends

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 6:39 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
...and I think switching to MT8's

Why? At least those calipers are mostly if not completely identical to MT4's. Put som Shimano levers on the other end of that line and you'll end up with more stopping power for way less money than MT8's.

Mod Plus
Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 6:49 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
isaacschmidt wrote:
...and I think switching to MT8's

Why? At least those calipers are mostly if not completely identical to MT4's. Put som Shimano levers on the other end of that line and you'll end up with more stopping power for way less money than MT8's.
weight weenie-ism, and I'm curious about the material. I know the calipers are very similar - not sure if they are the exact same, wouldn't be too surprised.

I was on Shimano for a long time, and enjoy trying other things - after a while the lever feel got to me, but it has been about 3 years since I've ridden their brakes. That said the current iteration of xtr are appealing.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012340
Mobile Version of Website