Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 22:11 Quote
unsprung weight isn't an issue with hardtails, and hub weight doesn't affect the feel of the wheelset as much as rim or tire weight.... my belly is the meanest in terms of anchor-ism. so for me, onyx' function outruns the weight penalty by a boat length.

Posted: Jun 8, 2021 at 5:44 Quote
lance-h wrote:
matther01 wrote:
pyromaniac wrote:

How so?

Heard some stories about the new ratchets not being stellar performers in the first batches, which mine were. DT sent me replacements out really quickly though. The i9s were only £100 more and better engagement. I've always loved DT for simplicity so hope the new type ratchets hold up as well as my older 240s.

50% of i9 hubs I have serviced, you could push the drive side hub shell bearing out with your finger. DTquality is better even with this EXP issue

As a trial rider, i'm a hub destroyer. There isn't a single rear hub that I haven't destroyed, some of which in the first few rides. For me DT Swiss and I9 have always been the most reliable, but certainly not indestructible in both case. But i9 did surprise me with their service. I cracked the hub shell a few weeks ago on the i9 Torch hub of my fatbike, after 3 years and few months of use (not on the warranty), 2 email exchanges were enough for them to send me a new shell.

And the new Hydra with pawls ratchet is more ''Instant Engagement'' than some others ''Instant Engagement Hub'' I've tryed!

The good news I get from all of these broken hubs is that I quickly learned to lace my wheels!

Posted: Jun 8, 2021 at 8:22 Quote
rosemarywheel wrote:
Stanton... so pretty.

Thanks ✌

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 17:50 Quote
Canabliss wrote:

You are so useful.

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 18:02 Quote
xviggenx wrote:
rosemarywheel wrote:
Stanton... so pretty.

Thanks ✌
Stanton Switchback is so far the best hardtail mtb Ive ridden...

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 9:35 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
xviggenx wrote:
rosemarywheel wrote:
Stanton... so pretty.

Thanks ✌
Stanton Switchback is so far the best hardtail mtb Ive ridden...

Im thinking on change my Cotic Soul for a Switchback. Its kind of short on reach and CS (more than my soul at least).

What mk of the switchback did you rode?

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 13:13 Quote
Wholeheartedly recommend a ride on a new Stanton, whatever model takes your fancy.
Have now had repeated goes on a Switch9er and I am hooked, think it’s a combination of fit and the bike being wholly sorted, you couldn’t ask for more unless you go custom
All dropout standards catered for, so it’s not going to create too much additional expenditure..

Like most hardtails, if it’s comfortable it’s fast, if it’s fast it’s fun

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 16:10 Quote
Gnomo wrote:

I'm on a Reynolds 631 "next gen"/mk2 that I bought back in 2018, 18" long.
Love it to bits!

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 17:08 Quote
Potato pic of my Big Honzo DL. Lengthened the 120mm fork to 160mm, and also added a 34t oval chainring. Might have had too much liquid courage when we serviced the drivetrain and made the chain a few links too short. Super fun rig and the longer travel/slacker HA makes her a beast of a ride on the DH. Still need to shorten my hoses, clean up the frame, swap new tires and also sort out the chain. Could do with a new headset as well probably.

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 17:15 Quote
Looks fun from here tup ^

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 19:35 Quote
xviggenx wrote:
Gnomo wrote:

I'm on a Reynolds 631 "next gen"/mk2 that I bought back in 2018, 18" long.
Love it to bits!

I ride a MK1 Switchback 631 and a MK2 Ti switchback....The MK1 is dated geo with short reach but I love it..It really likes to get rowdy and the MK2 Ti is just a bit longer but not extreme and is an amazing riding bike....I like 631 so much I think I am going to order the boost swap outs and eventually convert it to boost...The Ti one is already built up boost.

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 19:36 Quote
live-free-mt wrote:
Potato pic of my Big Honzo DL. Lengthened the 120mm fork to 160mm, and also added a 34t oval chainring. Might have had too much liquid courage when we serviced the drivetrain and made the chain a few links too short. Super fun rig and the longer travel/slacker HA makes her a beast of a ride on the DH. Still need to shorten my hoses, clean up the frame, swap new tires and also sort out the chain. Could do with a new headset as well probably.

Hey man, Has ankle weald up ? hope your back in form..

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 20:00 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
live-free-mt wrote:

Its not 100% yet, but I have been able to go out for lighter rides. Been hitting PT every single week trying to race back to no pain. Slow but steady!

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 20:29 Quote
live-free-mt wrote:
mtnryder-co wrote:
live-free-mt wrote:

Its not 100% yet, but I have been able to go out for lighter rides. Been hitting PT every single week trying to race back to no pain. Slow but steady!
It will happen..Hang in there.

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 5:21 Quote
Thanks for the advice, I've got a GX cassette so could upgrade when it's replacement time and could go for some XM481s instead of the 511s. I'm about 90kgs fully loaded and like to ride the bike fairly hard so probs not a good idea to change the forks given your own experience with the SID. I didn't think there was much you could do and as per previous replies, it costs a lot to shed weight at this level!

Maybe a few less sandwiches and a lot less beer would be a better idea....

pyromaniac wrote:
better use a driveside shot:

Do you hit your rims a lot? If not: XM481 instead of EX511.

What cassette is on there? The cheaper Sram stuff is pretty hefty. You could always go back to 11s XX1. That stuff is light, durable and relatively cheap, if bought used.

Other than rims, cassette and rear mech I cannot see much to be improved/changed for lighter stuff that still works good.

Depending on your weight, riding style and terrain, you could think about getting a RS SID Ultimate Raceday, the one with 35mm stanchions (*). That fork is light and works extremely well.
I am at 75kg all geared up, like braking hard and clapped out the bushings in less than four months of use, though.
Lowers were replaced by RS under warranty and fork got sold off immediately after.

(*) ...and a higher crown race to increase the forks axle-to-crown length...

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009666
Mobile Version of Website