Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Author Message
Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 21:13 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
Anyone have an suggestion on an affordable but good quality rear hub. I may just do Hope but is there anything for a bit less that is worth considering?

Are Octane One, NS or Dartmoor hubs any good?

I am building a kind of aggressive rigid/bikepacking bike with two wheel sets. A 27.5+ which is going to be the normal trail wheels and 27.5 which are going to be fit with super fast rolling tires for gravel and light single track. I have a set of Hope hubs that I will use for the 27.5+ wheels. Looking for some hubs to use for the other wheels. Just need reliable. Super high engagement isn't super critical for that set.

DT 350. Cheaper than Hope, at least over here, not a whole lot of freehub noise and same if not better durability.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 21:22 Quote
Paradis6 wrote:
I'm actually looking for something special for my Rootdown.
A kind of really short 2 speeds derailleur or chain tensioner, with only 2 cogs on the freehub, one for single speed riding with a lower fastest ratio, and one with 1: 1 ratio for trial riding. I wouldn't mind having to manually change the 2 gears by hand, because it's not for trail riding, and I want to reduce the mechanics as much as possible (smallest tensioner, no lever, no cable, reduce the chain length to the minimum possible). That doesn't seem to exist! I think I will have to make it!!

I had a number of alternative drivetrains over the years. 2x1 w/o, 2x1 w/ and 3x1 w/ derailleur.
Front derailleurs are a pain, but manually changing chainrings is an even bigger one, imo.

1x2, so two sprockets in the rear will not really work when you want a big jump between the sprockets.

Sounds like a 2x1 setup is what you are after. There are really nice cnc dh chain tensioners for this application but they only work up to a 14t or 15t sprocket. And you are sacrificing a lot of efficiency running a small sprocket.
___________
Edit

Check out these:
2x1 with 24t/36t front and 18t rear

3x1 close ratio 22t/32t/36t front and 17t rear

That tensioner is a custom one I bought used. It's part of a Zee rear mech with the parallelogram hacked off and bolted to a carbon plate and that in turn bolted to the rear hanger. Chainline is limited, but somewhat adjustable by sticking washers between the plate and the hanger.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 22:24 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
Anyone have an suggestion on an affordable but good quality rear hub. I may just do Hope but is there anything for a bit less that is worth considering?

Are Octane One, NS or Dartmoor hubs any good?

I am building a kind of aggressive rigid/bikepacking bike with two wheel sets. A 27.5+ which is going to be the normal trail wheels and 27.5 which are going to be fit with super fast rolling tires for gravel and light single track. I have a set of Hope hubs that I will use for the 27.5+ wheels. Looking for some hubs to use for the other wheels. Just need reliable. Super high engagement isn't super critical for that set.

DT 350. Cheaper than Hope, at least over here, not a whole lot of freehub noise and same if not better durability.

Another vote for the dr 350.

Added bonus is for bikepacking a spare set of Star ratchets are light and cheap insurance in your pack for emergency replacement. I always have a spare set - never needed them yet.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 23:53 Quote
I vote Dt 350 too, a good hub. But too confuse you a little further Batman aren't most hubs on the market today ratchet type? I have just bought a set of Mavic wheels recently and I suppose it is also a ratchet hub with actually more point of engagement than the DT... I think... but I'm pretty sure... anyway, love the wheel set and hub, good engagement and pretty silent if you like that.
I'm sure that didn't help at all but that's what I got Fireman

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 1:24 Quote
another one for dt350. i run mine on my singlespeed trail bike. they refuse to die, although i'm definitely not going easy on them.

btw, no idea why, but mine are loud af. might be the singlespeed, or the 54t ratchets, or the fact that they run dry as the atacama.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 2:58 Quote
nullzwo wrote:
another one for dt350. i run mine on my singlespeed trail bike. they refuse to die, although i'm definitely not going easy on them.

btw, no idea why, but mine are loud af. might be the singlespeed, or the 54t ratchets, or the fact that they run dry as the atacama.

54t is definitely loud, compared to 12t or 36t, but if you use too much grease to quieten them then they don't engage properly.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 6:33 Quote
Sounds like DT350 is the way to go then.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 10:00 Quote
Another consideration if your first wheel set already has Hope hubs: if your second set gets Hope too, you might be able to swap wheels without adjusting brake calipers, derailleur pull and limit screws. Often DT hubs are barely if any cheaper once you factor in the almost mandatory star ratchet upgrade as they come stock with just 18t ratchet rings (that's incredibly low engagement).

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 11:43 Quote
surge12 wrote:
Often DT hubs are barely if any cheaper once you factor in the almost mandatory star ratchet upgrade as they come stock with just 18t ratchet rings (that's incredibly low engagement).

Surely you will also know that more teeth on the ratchet means that each individual tooth is smaller and can therefore not take as much load as a bigger tooth, which means when you're putting down the watts your freehub is more likely to fail...

Most people won't know the difference nor feel it.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 11:56 Quote
If you want start ratchet type engagement, check out Erase hubs. They come stock with 60t, larger ratchets, and freehub and engagement made of titanium.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 14:16 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
If you want start ratchet type engagement, check out Erase hubs. They come stock with 60t, larger ratchets, and freehub and engagement made of titanium.

Will check them out

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 14:42 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
If you want start ratchet type engagement, check out Erase hubs. They come stock with 60t, larger ratchets, and freehub and engagement made of titanium.

Where is the best place to buy in North America? I am interested.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 17:40 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
If you want start ratchet type engagement, check out Erase hubs. They come stock with 60t, larger ratchets, and freehub and engagement made of titanium.

I've used and still uses their hubs both on my FS and HT. They are SUPER nice, very easy to service and set preload (done one bike). There is just one thing that they could do better and that would be to use another brand of bearings. Those LLB Enduro bearing dont have much life in them.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 19:01 Quote
Doogster wrote:
privateer-wheels wrote:
If you want start ratchet type engagement, check out Erase hubs. They come stock with 60t, larger ratchets, and freehub and engagement made of titanium.

Where is the best place to buy in North America? I am interested.

Shoot me a PM and I can help you out.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 19:02 Quote
Thorjensen wrote:
privateer-wheels wrote:
If you want start ratchet type engagement, check out Erase hubs. They come stock with 60t, larger ratchets, and freehub and engagement made of titanium.

I've used and still uses their hubs both on my FS and HT. They are SUPER nice, very easy to service and set preload (done one bike). There is just one thing that they could do better and that would be to use another brand of bearings. Those LLB Enduro bearing dont have much life in them.

Same with so many brands. Industry Nine use them as well.

When bearings die, replace with SKF or similar and you are good to go. They have fantastic bones otherwise!


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010231
Mobile Version of Website