Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 6:12 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
We've all cut seat tubes shorter... Or at least I have.

Fortunately, in the modern day and age it has become far less necessary because companies spec decent reaches so no need to size up and they spec shorter seattubes.

I haven't yet but was thinking about it the day before yesterday! Big Grin

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 6:32 Quote
rosemarywheel wrote:

I haven't yet but was thinking about it the day before yesterday! Big Grin

I got the idea when hardtailparty cut his middle child.

As long as the frame isn’t carbon and you don’t care about the warranty then go for it. It’s pretty simple and I feel the benefit of getting the seat lower is super worth it as someone who likes to move around on the bike a lot. One thing to note is you might have to modify the seat collar if there is a gusset. I had to file mine down.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 6:42 Quote
Took this thing for a ride today. First time using that front tyre on home soil. The whole bike is about 2kg heavier than my carbon full-sus bike I'd guess, has less gears and less gear range. But it feels solid and is super quiet. Traction going up and down is never an issue. Such a blast.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 6:43 Quote
hmstuna wrote:

Fortunately, in the modern day and age it has become far less necessary because companies spec decent reaches so no need to size up and they spec shorter seattubes.

At ~176cm the stock seat tube lets me run a 170 which is good but I always wanted more. The growler had a 440mm seat tube which I cut to 410mm.

I still don’t understand why some companies run like 470+ seat tubes on a large. I’d have to downsize to a medium or run a 150 which sucks. There is really no downsize to a short seatube. Wish all larges came with 400mm.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 11:08 Quote
spencerh1569 wrote:
hmstuna wrote:

At ~176cm the stock seat tube lets me run a 170 which is good but I always wanted more. The growler had a 440mm seat tube which I cut to 410mm.

I still don’t understand why some companies run like 470+ seat tubes on a large. I’d have to downsize to a medium or run a 150 which sucks. There is really no downsize to a short seatube. Wish all larges came with 400mm.
True story... not many brands got that yet, even a Stanton Sherpa or a Nordest Britango have ridiculously long seat tubes. Then there are brands like Pipedream or Stif who push the idea but have quite radical other numbers like st angle.
Edit: too radical numbers for average terrain like mine

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 13:23 Quote
The one advantage of a longer seat tube is the ability to run a larger frame bag if you are planning on bikepacking.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 13:35 Quote
The advantage of a longer seat tube is for folks like myself who need the long seat tube and a 210mm drop post!!! I have about 50-60mm of post exposed on my XL Rootdown with a 210 drop post!

Just depends I suppose.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 14:06 Quote
Had you decided on a Sklar instead of a Chromag with that kink in the toptube you could have packed everything plus the kitchen sink in a frame bag

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 14:39 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
The advantage of a longer seat tube is for folks like myself who need the long seat tube and a 210mm drop post!!! I have about 50-60mm of post exposed on my XL Rootdown with a 210 drop post!

Just depends I suppose.

I agree, I'm not sure the shortest seat tube I could get away with but even 19" leaves plenty of spare seatpost

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 15:25 Quote
DC1988 wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:

Just depends I suppose.

I agree, I'm not sure the shortest seat tube I could get away with but even 19" leaves plenty of spare seatpost

I am 6'6" (2m) tall and this is one of the better fitting bikes I have owned. The advantage of the longer seat tube helps support the seatpost better. When I had shorter seat tubes my seat post with 125mm and 150mm drop were constantly breaking down. The seat tube is an added buffer for the post in my eyes, i could be wrong but this is the longest i have had a post last without a service.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 18:15 Quote
[I just had mine made short to fit 210 droppers.

Quote="hmstuna"]We've all cut seat tubes shorter... Or at least I have.

Fortunately, in the modern day and age it has become far less necessary because companies spec decent reaches so no need to size up and they spec shorter seattubes.[/Quote]

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 19:02 Quote
Ooooo the Mexican blanket ZEB decals are choice Chef!!!

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 19:20 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Ooooo the Mexican blanket ZEB decals are choice Chef!!!

I love them! They really pull the bike together.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 23:39 Quote
I'm still only on a 170mm dropper (I'm 6'5"), I'd like to go for a 210mm but reliability has been a concern so think I'll keep with the 170mm until they break.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 6:48 Quote
In its natural habitat....

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012048
Mobile Version of Website